Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-12, 23:12

Plan: ZULCA!
Stats: 353/279.2/175 Female 64 in.
BF: For now...
Progress: 41%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra

This really bums me out because I also like to use club soda to make Mg-rich "Waller Water" but the reaction doesn't work properly with this low-sodium Club Potash - it leaves a lot of undissolved crystals, whereas the chemical reaction leaves no residue when real Club Soda is used.

Would seltzer with some cheap NaCl (non-iodized) stirred in work??
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-12, 07:07

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

The salt cure worked last night. I managed to eat a quarter teaspoon before falling asleep and did not get a cramp. Whoohoo! Really, before reading these forums I had no idea salt was so important.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-12, 09:08

Plan: Wheat belly
Stats: 235/220/200 Male 6 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whofan
The salt cure worked last night. I managed to eat a quarter teaspoon before falling asleep and did not get a cramp. Whoohoo! Really, before reading these forums I had no idea salt was so important.

Salt is like fat.everyone knows salt is bad and you should eat less.
Less as in Zero is best, but lower is good enough!

Wrong Wrong WRONG!

Unless you are one of a very very small part of the population that is sodium sensitive, reducing your salt intake will only harm your health.

remember potassium is not stored by the body so it needs a constant supply
Also Apples and Bananas are a terrible source, tomatoes are where to get potassium
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-12, 09:22

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

I'm glad to have justification to eat salt, I use it liberally anyway, but I can't square this with paleo thinking. Was salt easily available to our ancestors? Would they have consumed it in such large quantities?
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-12, 09:31
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Oh! Glad you asked. Phinney/Volck book talks about how important it was in H&G diets. The Inuit would collect it from sea ice of a certain age, Masai get it from the blood in cattle. They had quite a few examples.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-12, 09:40
Real food!

Plan: Lower Carb/IF
Stats: 238/155/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike2work
I'm glad to have justification to eat salt, I use it liberally anyway, but I can't square this with paleo thinking. Was salt easily available to our ancestors? Would they have consumed it in such large quantities?

Probably not. Some modern hunter-gatherer societies eat more salt, and some don't, but Paleolithic man probably ate low sodium intake, but much higher potassium intake. Chris Kessler has an interesting blog post regarding this issue: http://chriskresser.com/shaking-up-...n-need-for-salt
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-12, 10:46

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike2work

Heck, go back far enough, and we LIVED in the sea.

No reason to think mammals don't want, and need, salt. Salt licks lure deer to their doom, and raccoons are famous for chewing up outhouse seats.

I'm really glad I sprang for that 5 pound bag of pink Himalayan salt. Yum!
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-12, 11:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/128/130 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 105%

Try dill pickle juice for muscle cramps, its what the football players use and in a studie released a year or two ago it was found to work better than the high sodium sports drinks. I,m not a natural salt eater and I think lack of it may be why I have problems getting weak when on extened lowcarb. and doing heavy farm work.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-12, 16:29

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

I don't like the taste of salt in amounts more than 1/8 tsp (popcorn excepted, and that's rare). I get about 2g of sodium through my diet, and I could get 1–1.5 g more through adding salt to food. But I'm going to be hard pressed to get up to 5g/day.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-12, 18:20
Experimenter

BF:

How about drinking some salty broth?
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-12, 18:39
CherryCola

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Interesting point!! Before LC, I never salted my food...perhaps that's because it was sodium laden processed crud. So now, I don't usually salt my food just out of habit. Now I'm curious what my daily intake is!
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-12, 22:13

Plan: Paleo/Atkins
Stats: 206/179/130 Female 5'5.5''
BF:
Progress: 36%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight!
At one point in my low carb journey, when I had lost a fair amount of weight, there came a day when there were potato chips just sitting there at my place. I couldn't stop thinking about them. It was a very powerful craving. At this point I had declined carby foods many times, but I really wanted these potato chips. I gave in and ate some, because I would have been consumed by thoughts of them for hours if I hadn't.

Recently the dots connected for me. My low carb diet was too low in salt. My cravings for potato chips back then were from my body trying to balance itself.

It's fascinating how that works. I spent a day outside once in very hot weather wearing too heavy clothes (surprise heatwave, I was travelling, only had jeans) and in the early evening I started feeling really awful and simultaneously started craving peanuts. An unbelievably strong desire for them, and yet I've never cared for them much at all. I was at a bus station and there was a vending machine so I got a packet and eating them made me feel better very quickly. Once I started feeling well again I was able to make the salt connection. It's the only craving I'll listen to (I know not to listen to the ones for sugar!!)
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-12, 11:03

Plan: HF/LC Primal
Stats: 235/134/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

I don't love the taste of salt but I feel awful without it. Overly salted stuff tastes like a salt lick to me. I take a 1/4 t of salt after every meal (3 times a day). That gets me to 5g (at least according to my food scale). I do have to make the measuring spoon slightly heaping - not leveled off. I put some water in my mouth and dump the salt in and swallow real fast so I don't have to taste it.
Right now I'm using Real Salt but in the past I've used Celtic or Himalayan sea salt.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-12, 11:05
Real food!

Plan: Lower Carb/IF
Stats: 238/155/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Anglgrl, I love the Real Salt. I use it, as well. Not all stores carry it, so I will grab a nice sea salt when I don't see it.

Since not using regular iodized salt, though, I do make sure to take an iodine supplement.
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-12, 11:07
Experimenter

BF:

I suppose you could use empty gelatin capsules too.

1 tsp of table salt: Sodium, Na 2325 mg