Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-01, 13:04

Plan: Low-glycemic,index
Stats: 345/310/170
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default I can't lose on this woe either

It's been several days now,once I ran a trace of ketones,kept my carbs under 15.
I really don't think eating this way is healthy,my joints hurt,i'm tired and that amt of fats from meats gives me the runs.
Btw,I also gained 7lbs.
What I did find out from Atkns is what Dr.Atkins says about being
metabolically resistant to losing,~ least I have something to take to my Endocrinologist.
All of the best to those of you who are having success with this woe.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-01, 17:34
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Question Are you eating too little?

I know with me I lost a pound here and a pound there but it wasn't until I upped my calories and ate 20 carbs did I really lose weight. My body kept going into starvation mode... Really!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-01, 18:08

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

Casey, you might want to post a few menus. There are people here with eagle eyes for hidden carbs or stall problems. As Lessara mentioned, amounts are important, too. Believe it or not, eating 1000 calories a day can stall you.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-01, 18:18

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Hi Casey.....

I'm not familiar with the particular plan you are on so I can't comment on what you are eating or how it's working, except to say if it's LC, don't give up. My first six weeks were horrible but my body seems to have adjusted and I'm losing well now.

Like you I thought that I was one of the 'resistant' ones. It just took me a little time to get adjusted. Today, I'm down a total of 22.5 pounds and I just had cholesterol tests that showed me down at that as well.

I invite you to read my journal...at least the beginning parts so that you can see that persistance and patience do pay off.

Hope you don't quit!

Marlaine
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-01, 19:33

BF:
Default What I ate,my other woe

Thanks guys,
I've been on line today with Endocrinology,there's a real possibility it's my thyroid.
I posted 1 day of EVERYTHING under my 1st thread down below.
After that day I probably didn't go over 12 carbs.
coffee/splenda.cream max-10 carbs
meat/eggs
protien shake 0 carbs
meat-dinner
protien shake

This was the other days,i've never been a big eater.
My overweight history is also in the other post.

I started Sugarbusters spring of last year. I had to eliminate alot of foods that made me hypoglycemic so I really only follow the glycemic index's,thats where you only eat foods that cause a minimal increase in your bsl's.Seems I have a built in glycemic index I know crazy but true.When I eat a food that has too much sugar I will know it within 3 hours.

The confusing part is now my levels are always stable,I should be losing.

To be honest,if I don't see another piece of sausage for a year that would be ok,
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-06-01, 13:06

Plan: Careful Low Carb Plan
Stats: 335/295/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Unhappy Maybe add vegies?

Hi Casey,
If it is a thyroid problem, that will definitely keep you from losing weight. I would definitely get tested if I were you. But the thing I was concerned about when I looked at your menu was that you had no vegetables listed. I don't think it's good for you not to eat any fresh vegetables. The Heller's in the Carbo Addict book said the vegies should be in proportion to the protein. And then I would ask you if you are drinking lots of water. That seems to matter to me. If I don't force the water on myself I will stall. Also, you don't want to eat too little, because your body will go into starvation mode as Lessara suggested. Well those are my thoughts, hope that helps. Victoria
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Dec-06-01, 14:26

BF:
Default 1 salad

During the time I was aiming for ketosis I finally hit trace then 1 of the dinners I included a salad with my meal and it went back to negative. The salad was lettuce,4 slices of cucumber,onion and 0 carb,0 sugar blue cheese dressing made by "Marie's"
I just figured geez if just a salad makes me off balance then I can't do that.
Good news,i've lost 6lbs since going back on my low-glycemic woe.
I'm really not getting excited cause I typically lose and gain for no reason. The only thing I can think of is I "shocked" my system.
I think this whole low-carb woe is wonderful,god knows I wouldn't have lost anything if it wasn't for it,and my hypoglycemia is sooo under control.
I know I feel better when I get the right amt of protien,a little fat,
alot of veggies and occasional piece of low-glycemic fruit.
I seldom have any starchy carbs,I don't really want them.
I really appreciate you all taking the time to respond.
I just think it's got to be the thyroid.
I'll have to be seeing my doc soon to get a referral to Endocrinology. Way too busy this week and next week but will go the next.
Thanks alot
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Dec-06-01, 14:55

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: 1 salad

Quote:
Originally posted by casey
During the time I was aiming for ketosis I finally hit trace then 1 of the dinners I included a salad with my meal and it went back to negative. The salad was lettuce,4 slices of cucumber,onion and 0 carb,0 sugar blue cheese dressing made by "Marie's"
I just figured geez if just a salad makes me off balance then I can't do that.

Just FYI, casey; those stix are not an accurate measure for everyone. If you can't 'pee pink or purple' you're not automatically 'out of ketosis'. Many people show absolutely nothing on those things and continue to lose weight. An absence of ketone bodies in your urine is simply an absence of them in your urine; it doesnt mean you're not burning fat; it means nothing is spilling over because you're using it all.

Also, ketone body production is not a constant thing. Just as the furnace in your home is not always on. It gets used when it's needed.

Using those test strips can be very motivating for some at the beginning; for others its frustrating. To put it in perspective, thousands of people have used the Protein Power Plan to lose body fat and most of them have never heard of a ketostick - the Eades give the subject about 2 paragraphs in their book. It isnt that important.

Nat
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Dec-06-01, 15:49
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Unhappy Sticks not accurate!

The sticks are definitely not accurate, especally if you drink alot of water. I found when I was doing sticks that I would subconsiously not drink as much water to make my paper go purple! I know shame on me. So no sticks for me!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Dec-06-01, 16:55

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 282/248/147 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Tossin' the sticks!

I just bought a new batch too! I'm tossin' them though. It's too distracting. I drink a river of water also 3-4.5 ltrs so it makes sense that they would be diluted. Besides there are other ways to see the difference besides the sticks and the scales...how do you feel, look, clothes fit, rings fit etc. Hang in there and find what works for you. Is exercise a part of your daily? Hang in there and keep up the good work.

Bsayne
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Dec-06-01, 23:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 285/252/180 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

Hi Casey... I hope you are still with us... everyone is pulling for you.. as a newbie to LC (35 days to be exact) myself. I have found that there are 4 key parts to the program 1) eat your protein/fat and carbs at the levels recommended -- no less. Eating less is an old tape from the diet years 2) drink TONS of water.. 3) take the recommended supplements and 4) throw in a little exercise... I agree the first few days and then off and on.. it can be tough.. but as Marlaine said.. it does pay off... Get your thyroid tested.. and then start an official Journal and let us help you along the way...

Ramona