Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-01, 05:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 176/165/140
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default A couple of questions

Hi everyone. I just started with induction last week, and have a couple of questions.

Firstly, I know Splenda is not available in the UK, but a lot of recipes I have seen online call for it. What does everyone over here use? I have only seen sweetners which still have a high level of carbohydrates. Also I know you can't bake with sweetners which contain aspartame. Can anyone help?

Secondly. I'm not sure if others have this problem
though it seems everything has been seen before! My scales say I've lost 4.5 lbs (that was Saturday). However I don't look or feel (clothing-wise) like I've lost anything. Usually I would feel it if I had lost this much. Is this normal?

Thanks for your help, if you can. I found this site on Friday and spent about two hours this morning searching for it again! Its great.

Jane
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-01, 09:32
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Welcome to the forum Jane!

Fiona, the UK moderator should be along soon. She may have some suggestions for you. Have you checked in the diabetic section of pharmacies for an AS that you can cook with? Do you have Sugar Twin over there? It works the same as Splenda.

The way you lose weight is a very mysterious thing that varies from individual to individual. Sometimes you lose inches, but no weight. Go figure!

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-01, 13:07

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Smile Welcome

Hi Jane

Welcome. This is definitely a great site for support, the right company for Low-carbing and fun and games.

<I found this site on Friday and spent about two hours this morning searching for it again! > ditto. I recall getting very frustrated when I first accidentally found this site and couldn't find my way back. It gets a lot easier once you subscribe to various threads. I get several e-mails and just click on the link now.

Quote:
Jane: My scales say I've lost 4.5 lbs ... However I don't look or feel (clothing-wise) like I've lost anything. ... Is this normal?

Personally my jeans getting loose was the first indication that I had lost weight. But let's put the question out and see if anyone else identifies.

Sweeteners: Now that is a problem. I have been on the lookout and to date have not found a sweetener not containing aspartame or sachharin or both. There is a mail-order LC shop in UK that sells not Stevia but K-Sweet (I think?) . I thought it was very pricey. The sugar was just under £10. + £5 delivery. Check it out for yourself. http://www.thelowcarbshop.co.uk

I use SLIMMER "Calorie-free Sweeteners" although I suspect they are not completely calorie free. I also got something called COLOGRAN also saccharin based but carb content is 0.0001g per tablet. Both of these were in my local supermarket and I have seen these in BOOTS, SAINSBURYS and several other supermarkets.

As for baking my solution to that so far has been bake without but put lots of sweetener in the cream (which usually goes with anything I bake )

You are doing well. Believe the scales
Take care.

Last edited by fiona : Mon, Aug-06-01 at 16:52.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-01, 04:00

Stats: 176/165/140
BF:
Progress: 31%

Thanks for your replies Karen and Fiona, it seems you work very hard here! It is much appreciated.

I will let you know how I get on with the baking once my induction is up!

Thanks again
Jane
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-01, 17:04

Plan: My own (based on a compil
Stats: 333/260/224 Male 73 ins
BF:
Progress: 67%

Jane,

I assume that you found your way back via the e-mail links Fiona was referring to. There is another quick way back to this site which I use, and it's great for those occasions when you don't have the e-mail links to help you. What you do is this. Next time you are on this site, click on the "Favourites" button at the top of the page. Click as appropriate to add this site to your list of favourites, or start one off. Then, next time you want to visit this site, click first on the "Favourites" button again, and a drop-down list will appear at the left hand side of your screen, listing all those you have nominated. Simply click on the name of the web-site you require, and the computer will automatically dial in the web-site address for you. Saves a lot of time and fiddling about.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-01, 00:29

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Thumbs up Very True - Easy and Simple

Yes indeed Andy that is another way of doing it. A nice, simple and easy one. Add to FAVORITES.

Take care

Last edited by fiona : Fri, Aug-10-01 at 13:26.