Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-15, 05:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/240/140 Female 5 feet 6inches
BF:39.5
Progress: 13%

You are just in time Lindalove! I get what you are saying about wine. I know you can't be 100% on all the time. I've had a drink once in a while too. You still have to live your life. My problem when I get with other people is portion control (damn cheese).I will stick with the LC option but I eat too much of it! Live and learn! Just keep going. I don't think anyone loses in a straight line...progress is more of a zig zag. Don't beat yourself up when you make a wrong choice just hit reset and keep going.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-15, 15:17

Plan: 6WBMO/Paleo
Stats: 196.7/175.6/130 Male 5'6
BF:
Progress: 32%

Wow, thanks for that. It wasn't a mistake of me drinking a glass or two every day; it was me being headstrong, when I know I could have been losing weight faster.

As for cheese, have you ever tried making yourself a "cheese basket" to hold your salads? Well, you will use only a tablespoon of cheese per basket. You can fill that basket with greens, onions, celery, olives, peppers, shrimp, etc.

You take a sheet pan or cookie sheet, spray with cooking spray and get a biscuit cutter rings or tuna can open at both ends and a tablespoon of Parmesan.

1. Place the mold on the sheet and sprinkle cheese evenly inside and do as many as you need or want;

2. Place pan in a 400 degree oven for 1 minute or until it starts to bubble and the edges are a light golden brown. Don't walk away because they easily burn.

3. Remove pan and wait about 10 seconds to cool, and with a spatula, lift cheese circles and place over a glass to drape over. After 1 minute, your bowls will be set.

---or---

Place cheese circle on a piece of cool aluminum foil and let cool for about 2 minutes and place cheese circles in a plastic bag. Do not refrigerate. They will last for about 2 weeks.

You can enjoy them as snacks.
  #93   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-15, 15:18

BF:

You can also wrap them around something long and cylindrical to make cheese stix or just break them up over a salad, instead of croutons.
  #94   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-15, 05:23

That sounds good! I think I'll try it this weekend. I have always loved puttering in the kitchen and I have fresh Parmesan. Another snowstorm is on its way so I'm not going anywhere Sunday. I still need to move more and that's my goal over this winter. I like to walk the rest of the year and if I move I will lose. I'm not the type to go to the gym.
  #95   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-15, 07:33

BF:

I hear you about moving. I guess I wasn't that interested in my workouts last year and any excuse not to, would be enough for me to postpone. I haven't worked out since July and I used to work it at least 6x a week. I'll go back one day. I'm not going to rush it. It just happens and I'm back to my old schedule.

I was reading several articles addressing exercise to lose weight and all of them said that exercise is good for your heart, skeletal system, but your diet is what controls your weight loss; not exercise. I was amazed by the articles. Dr. Barry Groves said to exercise only if you want to. Michael Thurmond said your diet is 70% of weight loss, and Dr. Atkins said the same thing. It's good for you, but not as a weight loss tool.

That said, I'm just going to stop trying to force myself to exercise and let it happen naturally. I know when I start noticing a significant reduction in my weight, I'll get excited and will resume my workouts because I'll see muscle tone quicker and my confidence will be through the roof.

Makes you wonder why we seem to lose our way sometime and have to start all over, huh? I hope this is my last yo-yo.
  #96   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-15, 23:20

BF:

I'm 59 and came back to low carb January 2, but was doing the EFGT program. That program wasn't for me, so I came back to Atkins '72. I prefer the original plan by Dr. Atkins, not the corporation that's touting the Atkins' name.

It seems my weight loss has been slow, but I think I'll get there eventually. I'll keep checking in here to see if other ladies in their 50's will chime in, even though I say all are welcome.
  #97   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-15, 12:09

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I started with Atkins, dropped artificial sweeteners and all grains to go Paleo, kept high quality/high fat dairy which made it Primal, and moved to Epi-Paleo for anti-inflammation benefits, which added lots more seafood and swapped out my small portions of vegetables for mostly fermented varieties.

Aaaaand... I make exceptions even now Like dairy is a problem for many, but seemingly not for me; I lost 70 pounds eating cheese on Atkins, and high quality, grass-fed dairy has nutrients that are hard to get yet reasonable in price. I was still struggling with the last 10-15 when a health issue reared up and now I've added another ten pounds... though I sense that might be getting addressed again with the changes I've made the last six months.

My health, and sleep, are improving simultaneously, and I look forward to the day when dropping back down to size ten is my biggest problem

I started fifteen years ago (I'm just as amazed as anyone) and while I've slipped up here and there in terms of climbing the Atkins carb ladder and gained some, going back to what works has always taken care of things. So I'm low carb for life! A far better life that I had before.
  #98   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-15, 13:27

BF:

That's wonderful news. I love reading posts that show how much dedication is involved in taking care of nutritional needs and staying on the path to reach a certain goal. Very inspiring.
  #99   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-15, 13:30

BF:

You really analyzed your plan. I, on the other hand, just go by willy-nilly, as long as I keep my carb count to 20. I'm also watching my calorie intake. Years ago, I treated Atkins like a diet and when I reached my goal, my weight creeped back up to starting and then some.

I know better now and this will be my lifestyle. You can't dispute something that works and when it stops working for you, you tweak until you get it right.

Good for you.
  #100   ^
Old Mon, Mar-02-15, 19:26

Stats: 129/119/105 Female 5' 1"
BF:
Progress: 42%

Hi everybody! My name is Jaye. I am 56 and this is my second time low carbing. The first was in 2004 and I easily dropped 20 lbs and kept it off until a total hysterectomy knocked me in to menopause. Before I knew it I had gained almost 30 pounds and had all the energy of a garden slug...

I re-started low carbing the end of January and am slowly dropping the pounds. Sure not as easy this time around!
  #101   ^
Old Mon, Mar-02-15, 22:53

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugujo
Why do you say that you are too late?

Oh, just looking at the posting dates, but I just noticed you're pretty current, as well as the others that are following my post.
  #102   ^
Old Mon, Mar-02-15, 22:58

BF:

I had to restart several times because I kept doing one step incorrectly. The first was wine. I love good red wine and would sip a glass or so in the evening while prepping for dinner and with my dinner. I was losing the same pound for about 2 weeks. Once I stopped drinking, my weight started to come down.

Yes, I know Dr. Atkins and several other low carb physicians claim you can eat all you want without fear of gaining weight, but that's not the case. You have to have a caloric deficit in order to lose and an over-consumption of protein, if not burned off, will be stored as fat.

The second misstep was I tried to mimic old favorites like pancakes, pastries, and biscuits using low carb mixes like Carbquik, almond and coconut flours which are just as impactful on blood sugar as the regular Bisquick mix. Some people can handle them, I can't.

Lastly, I was weighing myself everyday. Big mistake;too much stress. Weight fluctuates every day and you will never get an accurate reading, so once a week is sufficient.

Last edited by lindalove : Mon, Mar-02-15 at 23:08.
  #103   ^
Old Tue, Mar-03-15, 04:43

I found that wieighing myself every other week is best for me. I just keep doing the under 20 low carb and that works for me. I've been making soup to heat up for lunch. I just hate a cold salad when it's cold outside. I've lost almost 30 pounds very slowly since last September. It is coming off so as long as it's going in the right directionI try not to complain. Sure I'm impatient but I didn't get this size overnight!
  #104   ^
Old Tue, Mar-03-15, 11:15

BF:

Are you exercising any? It's not for weight loss, but to speed things up a bit. You don't have to do a regimented program, you could dance, do a lot of housework, non-stop, or go swimming. I used to love water aerobics. Your body is heavier under water, so you burn more calories.

I don't mean to correct you too much, but looking at your start weight and current weight, you've only lost 15 lbs. Did I miss something?

What do you think?
  #105   ^
Old Wed, Mar-04-15, 11:41

No, I haven't updated since I started. I never liked to exercise which is why I walk most of the year. I am trying some yoga because I'm getting round shouldered from years of being at a computer.