Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-01, 16:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 216/166/160
BF:
Progress: 89%
Default Sommersizing

Just a question for anyone out there who can answer it, I am thinking of switching from Atkins to Suzanne Sommers plan. I find Atkins to limiting and I have been on it so long that I have begun to cheat all the time and just can't seem to stay on it. I just wanted to know if her diet is still considered Low Carb cause I can't switch tracks now after losing 50 lbs but I need some more variety in my food and I really miss my bread. Can someone out there answer my question. Thanks.

Judie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-01, 16:37

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Somerizing is considered LC. We have a section of the forum devoted to the discussion and comparison of the various LC plans available. You can find it under "Low Carb Plans"

http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdis...p?s=&forumid=68

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-01, 17:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Protien power
Stats: 164/149/130
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default Tried it briefly

Sommersizing to me was even more restrictive. It was good too a degree as you could have small amounts of my favorite things, but very restrictive on mixing food types. No butter on the allowed breads. Whole wheat pasta isn't too bad but you couldn't put chesse etc (fats) on it. You are allowed more fruit which is nice, but I had cravings most of the time I tried the diet. Trying is the only way you will know if it's for you.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-01, 09:28

Plan: Careful Low Carb Plan
Stats: 335/295/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default Sommersizing

I haven't read her book yet, but have to credit her for peaking my interest in low carbing a while back. I had seen her on Rosie or some show and she said that if you have a gut, most likely you have a problem with sugars and carbs. Of course it took me another year or two to realize it was what I needed to do.

If you want to check out a book that talks of different methods of low carbing---I read, "How I Gave Up My Low Fat Diet and Lost 40 Pounds!" by Dana Carpender. It was the reason I am doing this now. She explained different approaches, which I really appreciated because it gave me several different choices. It's available at amazon. Well, you've already done so well Judie...keep it up! Victoria
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-02, 08:10
Registered Member

Plan: GO-Diet
Stats: 164/133.4/120 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 70%

I started Sommersizing in August, 2001. I lost slowly on the diet, but I stalled. I decided to switch to more of an Atkins approach, but I started eating Carbolite chocolate bars that are supposed to have low carbs, but I went into another stall (probably because of the maltitol). So I am back to eating about 20 grams of carbos a day. Sommersizing just wasn't quick enough for me, but I think it would work for maintenance. The combining of food was a little difficult too. At least she got me started on this WOE.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-02, 00:59

Plan: Somersizer
Stats: 270/175/165
BF:
Progress: 90%

Hi Judy ~ I've been Somersizing for 10 months and I've lost 74#, with about 30 more to go. Yes, it's considered low carb. In fact, there have been several posters at her site that used to do Atkins. I'd be happy to answer any of your questions. I'm so happy with this woe.

Feel free to come over and read our Bulletin Board. Go to:
http://www.suzannesomers.com

then click on "Community" (tab at the top)
then select "Discussion" (on the left)

Scroll down until you get to the Somersize Forums. A great bunch of gals there. You may also want to check out the chat room - everybody's so willing to help. *Ü*
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 19:29
Registered Member

Plan: suzanna summers
Stats: 187/150/130
BF:
Progress:
Default hi

just wonted to wish u lots of luck
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 21:38

Plan: atkins/No Dairy
Stats: 194/148/134
BF:
Progress: 77%

i like sommersizing when I am away on holidays... especially when we go south.... lots of nice fruit breakfasts and I stick to low carb lunches and dinners....works well. but for weight loss, stick to the low carb....
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Nov-14-02, 10:53

Plan: sommersizing
Stats: 197/176/160
BF:
Progress: 57%
Default Adj sommersizing??

Hi Miss Ellie:

I've been doing the sommersizing diet too but the weight loss is so very-very slow. After reading your posts I gather that you learned to adjust your eating plan in order to consistently see a weight loss. You did this by cutting back on carbs. Did you limit your carb count per day- if so - how many. Also did you count your vegies? Help - I've been stuck at same weight for 2 months.

Romamn
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Nov-14-02, 12:23

Plan: atkins/No Dairy
Stats: 194/148/134
BF:
Progress: 77%

When I reached a plateau (around 160) I got mad and decided to change things....I got rid of all dairy which is what sent me into the 140's. That was exciting.... I now try to limit at 15 grams per meal. If my calories are under 1200 a day and carbs are under 15 per day, I lose consistently. I have to stick to that and control the dairy.