Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Soups Sauces & Appetizers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 17:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 252/230/165 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Sundried Tomato Pesto and Chevre Cheese Dip

Here is a recipe I LOVE:

We make the sun dried tomato Pesto from Scratch, so I don't know how low carb the prepared ones are, but it would be worth checking into for a quicker version...

Sun Dried Tomato Pesto and Chevre Dip

1 bunch of fresh basil
1-2 cloves of crushed garlic (start with 1... add another if necessary after a test taste)
2 tablespoons of sun dried tomatoes (if the tomatoes are stored in oil, include another tablespoon of that oil)
Approximately 1/4 cup of olive oil (just add a little at a time until the consistency is like a thin paste)
2 tsp lemon juice
dash of salt
dash of pepper
1 teaspoon of pine nuts (optional, but add a nice richness)
3 oz of Chevre Cheese (Goat Cheese)

Put everything except the cheese in the blender until the basil is thoroughly chopped into very small pieces. The sides of the blender will need to scraped several times throughout the blending.

Pre-Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Fill an oven safe crock (I use the kind you would make french onion soup in, one with a 1-1.5 cup capacity is good for this recipe) with the goat cheese. Hollow out a hole in the center of the cheese (approx. 1 inch in diameter) going all the way to the bottom of the crock. Bring the excess cheese up the sides of the crock. Fill the hole with the pesto mixture.

Place crock in the oven (it's best to place it on foil or a cookie sheet, as it may boil over). Heat at 350 for about 15 minutes. Next, set oven to broil. Leave mixture under the broiler until the exposed cheese is a golden brown, but be careful... the pesto can burn very easily, so keep a very close eye on it. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for just a few minutes, but eat it while it is HOT, that's when it is best!

i like to finish this off with 3 whole pine nuts on top, just to dress it up a bit.

This is very rich and a little goes a LONG way.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-03, 01:09
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 230/225/170 Female 5'3"
BF:48%/43%/30%
Progress: 8%

When you say one bunch of basil, how much are you actually talking about?

Also, how many servings do you consider this?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 13:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 252/230/165 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 25%

Hmmm...I will have to measure a bunch of Basil out. The groccery store sells it already bunched, so that's how I buy it and use it. But, I will measure it out next time.

As for servings, I have never considered this as I have used it primarily for dipping and for an appetizer. I did have it one night with toasted LC Bread and made a meal of it. It served 3 people that way.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 16:40
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 230/225/170 Female 5'3"
BF:48%/43%/30%
Progress: 8%

Thanks.
The reason I was asking on the amount of basil, is that I would be using fresh grown basil.