Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Jun-07-17, 17:04
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisagirl
... i say this, because Dr Adkins warned to not drink diet coke, that for some mysterious reason it stalls weight loss.
I don't know what version of Atkins (with a T not a D) warns you off diet coke.

The version I do, Atkins Diet Revolution 1972 does not. Here's what he says on page 135:
Quote:
Drinks: Water, Mineral water, Vichy, Club soda; Beef or Chicken broth, bouillon; Sugar free diet soda; coffee*, tea, decaffeinated coffee

*Special note on caffeine and Diet Cola. Because most heavy people have some hypoglycemia, coffee, tea and diet colas, which contain caffeine, should be limited to six servings a day (cups). If you know you have low blood sugar, better limit it to three.
I drink lots of dt soda w/o any ill affects to my weight or weight loss when I was still losing... everyone is so different, so everyone has to see how individual foods/drinks affect their progress or lack of!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Jun-08-17, 03:01

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Ditto everything Steve said about alcohol..Not something to ever add while fasting! If I break a longer fast with a nice grilled filet and salad I may have some red wine with it, but not much

If you have added a 16 or 23 hour fast to your day, the biggest benefit for me was the ability to "moderate" protein. Eating 3 meals, starting with egg and bacon, my Total daily protein levels were likely too high. But it is hard to overeat protein at one sitting, so by having fewer meals, you may also have removed one issue which stalls weight loss for some...overdoing the protein.

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Jun-08-17 at 03:42.
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Jun-08-17, 13:42
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
If you have added a 16 or 23 hour fast to your day, the biggest benefit for me was the ability to "moderate" protein. Eating 3 meals, starting with egg and bacon, my Total daily protein levels were likely too high. But it is hard to overeat protein at one sitting, so by having fewer meals, you may also have removed one issue which stalls weight loss for some...overdoing the protein.
Yeah, it makes things easier, simpler, and you eventually feel like eating less with one main meal-a-day.

Helps to avoid overdoing fat calories as well, for those close to goal and still trying to make some progress, however slow

Plus it saves time you can better spend on other activities that don't revolve around eating.
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Jun-22-17, 03:22

Plan: atkins 20
Stats: 127.6/111/110 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 94%

OK, so now I have read too much and I am really confused. HELP me understand the IF, I can't seem to get my balance, I've tried reducing protein, increasing fat, and vice versa, but I still feel stuck. I tried breakfast and then only a small protein snack and dinner, so basically skipping lunch, my NC are around 7-10 daily, protein around 50-75g, fat 65-100g usually about 70g. So, by skipping lunch is that considered IF? what else can I do? I know I don't have far to go, but I'd like a bit of a boost?
I am quite active, I too have horses and chores to do daily, plus I have a small part time job that is mostly walking and some lifting for an hour of two a day. HELP
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Jun-22-17, 04:06

Skipping lunch is a type of IF.

Your BMI is under 21. And You are 65. You may want to lose more weight but your body does not. In fact in some fasting podcast (I've listened to so many with Dr Fung) he (or Megan) said not to fast under a 20-21 BMI. Continue to eat a healthy, real food low carb diet and you may naturally skip a meal now and then if not hungry. Some of the doctors I follow skip lunch just because they are so busy and it adds time to their work day. But my suggestion would be not to fast to a set schedule nor obsessively manage your macros. As you wrote, enjoy the gift of this day.

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Jun-22-17 at 04:22.
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Jun-27-17, 12:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/128/130 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 105%

Whoosh to 140. I tend to hit a new low and bounce back up and down for a week or two so I am trying to prepare myself mentally the bounce up. I want to be in the 30s so bad I can taste it. So close! I going to do a 24 hour fast today to try to hold onto this new low . Its going to be complicated by physical exercise this week though. We are haying off and on all week depending on weather. Do you think I would have more energy during the extended fast if I add fat to my coffee? If so should it be a solid fat like butter or a liquid like olive oil? I am really pumped about the new low and don,t want to break the fast
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Jun-27-17, 15:17

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I use coconut oil. But that's me. I understand the impatience, but don't let it trip you up.
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Jun-28-17, 04:21

I also use coconut oil. May be the power of suggestion but feel extra energy from the MCTS in it. Be sure to drink lots of water and salt if you will be working outside! https://authoritynutrition.com/top-...of-coconut-oil/ regaining half of the weight lost on a fast is expected and normal...the ability to keep off the weight over time is what counts.
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Jun-28-17, 07:29

Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jey100

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
Yeah, it makes things easier, simpler, and you eventually feel like eating less with one main meal-a-day.

Helps to avoid overdoing fat calories as well, for those close to goal and still trying to make some progress, however slow

Plus it saves time you can better spend on other activities that don't revolve around eating.

This is an excellent summary of what I've been experiencing lately, and I'm going to stick with it as long as it works so well. The intermittent fasting - for me, 16 hours from dinner till lunch the next day - feels natural and comfortable and is helping along my weight loss. I eat primarily lunch and dinner and am feeling and functioning well, losing 1-2 pounds a week. I'll take it!

Last edited by barb712 : Wed, Jun-28-17 at 08:14.
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Jun-28-17, 12:23

BF:

Thanks for the suggestions I added a spoonful of coconut oil to my coffee just prior to physical activity and it really helped. I also added beef broth about a halfway threw the day when I was feeling a little icky and it really helped. I am at thirty nine hours at five today and I am toying with the idea of adding another day. Its been pretty easy. I fed the family chili burgers and wasn,t even tempted to eat any hamburger meat.
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Jun-29-17, 10:39

BF:

Another whoosh this morning. Hello 130s!
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Jun-29-17, 10:57

Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Yay! That must feel great.
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Jun-30-17, 02:32

Another whoosh to the 130s!
Haying may have contributed too...hard work outside. Hope the weather held for you.
  #44   ^
Old Sun, Jul-02-17, 19:30

BF:

Thanks everyone. I am really happy. I seem to be solid between 136 and 139
  #45   ^
Old Mon, Jul-03-17, 14:36
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 292/265/195 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 28%

congratulations...I just hit my first week and am down 3...wish it was more, but I'll take it...I just hope it's consistent...I have only had 3 meals a day a couple times...I tend to skip either breakfast or lunch...not sure if that's a good thing or bad...I use myfitnesspal to track everything...it shows calorie and carb deficit