Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-01, 06:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 147/135/127-130
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy cholesterol ski rocketted!!!

I just got my cholesterol checked and it is 235- from 170 a 2 months ago... this has totally freaked me out.. So I have taken a break from the Atkins diet....for now.. I am still watching the carbs when I eat a Protein or Starch meal but I am now including fresh fruit( natural sugar).. So far on 2 weeks I have not gained any weight. I am following the UNDEIT. Has anyone heard of this???
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-01, 06:19

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Askeens I've moved your post to the "Cholesterol/ heart disease" section of the "General Health" issues of the forum. While I am not well versed in this matter I do remember reading in PP that cholesterol can go up at first when starting a LC plan, it usually takes about 3 months for things to return to regular. Is 235 really that high? Just curious, we use different measurements in Canada. Also, remember that high cholesterol in itself (i.e., not accompanied by other symptoms of heart disease) is not necessarily something to worry about. There are a few threads on this board discussing this. Here is one of particular interest.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=16833

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-01, 06:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/197/135
BF:
Progress: 35%

No, I have never heard of the UNDIET, what is it like?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-01, 12:28

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Did you have the total cholesterol test done ( HDL, LDL, triglycerides?) I think it was in PP that they talk about how total cholesterol might go up some in the beginning, but that the triglycerides (a major player in heart disease) would drop dramatically. Supposedly, the total cholesterol number by itself is pretty meaningless - it is the HDL/LDL and the HDL/triglyceride ratios that are most important. I am going for my cholesterol tests again on Saturday. I had it taken just before I started eating low carb, this one will be at 8 weeks into the plan. I sure hope the ratios show some improvement.