Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 08:53
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 311/250/220 Male 6 feet
BF:45%/20%/15%
Progress: 67%

Fill a backpack with 50 pounds and haul it around all day and then take it off. That is what it feels like.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sun, Jun-06-04, 05:46
Fitday PC's #1 Fan

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: 310/151.0/152.5 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 101%

The combination of less weight and no more blood sugar problems has ended up taking a real load off my mind.

At heavier weights, throughout the day there were the constant background thoughts about whether or not I'd be capable of particular activities. If I needed to sit on the floor, how hard would it be to get up? If I needed to run for some reason, how huffy and puffy would I get, or how much chance did I have of falling? When I stood up after sitting, how much would my knees hurt? If I over exherted, would I get weak and dizzy? This unconscious constant dialog of caution was always there as a reminder of the all of the little movement risks and discomforts of being really heavy.

Now the background dialog that goes with movement activities is one of discovery and capability. Wow, my legs muscles feel strong going up this hill. Mmmm, that fresh air feels good when I'm walking. Hooray, that steep downhill drop-off on my hiking path was fun and easy with my improved balance and mobility. Oops, fell down on a steep slick slope - but wow, that's not such a big deal with this much less body mass hitting the ground. Hooray some more, I haven't eaten in 7 - 10 hours and still feel strong and can function as I need to.

It is the same kind of feeling as when you have good healthy family relationships, or when you have your financial life in order, or when you have your house clean and well organized. The peace of mind of having another major aspect of my life free from worries, cautions, or aprehension is possibly the number one change from losing this much weight.

Lynda
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-04, 10:39
Twinkle Toes

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/280/150 Female 5 feet 1 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

I've lost 53 lbs in a little under 3 months and the change is incredible so far, even though I have twice that much and a little more to lose.

The first thing I noticed was my breathing, I no longer gasp and huff and puff after walking short distances. I sleep much better, not waking up from the feeling that I'm choking.

Next was the pain in my knees, it is still there but so much less that now I can skip taking the arthritis meds I've been taking for the past 10 years.

I'm sure the next 50 will bring even more and better changes and the next 50 after that...it's the best I've felt about myself in a long long time, being able to commit to this WOE and being faithful to it, makes me feel proud of myself, which is a nice change.
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Jun-15-04, 23:09
Registered Member

Stats: 283/226/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 65%
How do you explain how good it feels to no longer have acid reflux? How do you describe how it feels to no longer have to take high blood pressure medication? It amazes me how much difference losing 65lbs (as of today) can make when it comes to quality of life. I know most people would answer your questions primarily regarding physical appearance. I think the major changes for me were in day to day health. To not worry about my blood pressure, or one of the most horrible ways to wake up during the dead of the night with reflux, would be the most important result of my weight loss. Looking better is a wonderful by-product!
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Jun-16-04, 14:21

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/155/140 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:100% sure I got it
Progress: 57%

My husband has lost 60 pounds. He just struts around like a proud rooster now! This weekend he was trying on his old clothes and they were falling off of him. He was so amazed and happy! He doesn't fall asleep on the couch anymore, more energy, and has taken more interest in his dress and appearance. He has always been a people person, but you can see the additional self confidence he exudes. I definately see a great difference!
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Sep-23-04, 18:42

Plan: trying Atkins
Stats: 217/212/150 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikotyme
I've lost 53 lbs in a little under 3 months and the change is incredible so far, even though I have twice that much and a little more to lose.

The first thing I noticed was my breathing, I no longer gasp and huff and puff after walking short distances. I sleep much better, not waking up from the feeling that I'm choking.

Next was the pain in my knees, it is still there but so much less that now I can skip taking the arthritis meds I've been taking for the past 10 years.

I'm sure the next 50 will bring even more and better changes and the next 50 after that...it's the best I've felt about myself in a long long time, being able to commit to this WOE and being faithful to it, makes me feel proud of myself, which is a nice change.

Wow! I am REALLY impressed by your commitment and success!! My goal is to lose 50 to 60 lbs by the end of the year. I have developed Adult weight influenced Asthma, as well as acid reflux, sleep apnea, and borderline blood sugar readings. I am new the Low-Carb scene and I want to know what was your regimen for losing the weight so quickly? How quickly did you start to see results and what was the hardest carb for you to give up? I am a chocolate, bread and pasta person, and I am ready to buy a straight-jacket to keep myself from going for the carbs. Reading your stats and posts have been incentive for me and make me determined to take this seriously, because I realize that I can meet my goal in a short time as proven by your success.
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-04, 03:31
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 311/250/220 Male 6 feet
BF:45%/20%/15%
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim2BeThin
I have developed Adult weight influenced Asthma, as well as acid reflux, sleep apnea, and borderline blood sugar readings.

I started Jan of 2003 so it is hard for me to remember back that far ... but I had many little health problems also. I had most of those problems (chronic bronchitis instead of asthma) and they are all gone. I use to take over the counter medications everyday and they wanted to put me on several prescriptions everyday.

The only real problem that I remember is that for the first 3 to 6 months -- when I ate carbs (cheated) the acid reflux was 10X worse than ever. Now I never have acid reflux -- I can eat sausage, hot sauce, you name it -- and never get acid reflux. Well, I think that if I were to eat a lot of sugary foods (which I don't do anymore) then I assume that all those health problems (including acid reflux) would come back.

One of the best things is all the energy you get. I use to want to sleep 12 hours per day and then move to the couch. I thought that I had that chronic fatigue syndrome. Now, when i don't cheat, I am up at 5 AM and go until 10 or 11 PM. Before my mind pushed my body -- and I felt the stress from it. Now my body pulls my mind and I don't feel the stress from it.

Quote:
I am new the Low-Carb scene and I want to know what was your regimen for losing the weight so quickly?

Just follow the diet, try to keep your total carb intake as low as possible, cheat as little as possible, exercise (if you are 50+ pounds -- just walk -- don't try jogging), and take supplements like Atkins Basic 3 and lots of Omega 3s fatty acids.

Quote:
How quickly did you start to see results and what was the hardest carb for you to give up?

It took about six months for me to lose 50 pounds and to get rid of all those symptoms. I lost 20 pounds first month, and then did not lose for about 2 months and then dropped another 30 pounds I have not lost any weight for the last year -- but I continue to lose inches and build muscle. For the last year I have been readjusting my hormones and building muscle.

Quote:
am a chocolate, bread and pasta person, and I am ready to buy a straight-jacket to keep myself from going for the carbs.

I actually use to get a "buzz" from eating a lot of bread like pizza and subs. I don't miss them anymore -- I do miss chocolate. To help with the cravings -- I use to eat my way out of them. Just start eating so much (zero carb foods) until I thought I was going to explode and could not possibly eat a chocolate cake even if it was sitting right in front of me. Fat will help curb your cravings. Get plenty of the Omega 3 fatty acids (fish oil, borrage oil, flaxseed oil, safflower oil). These will help curb cravings and are good for you. Some people take huge amounts of these. I take about six per day and find that they help a lot to curb cravings. Chromium is also good to curb cravings.

I would suggest that you get pork rinds -- because some people can not stay on the diet because they miss "crunching" on things. Pork rinds give you the crunch are are zero carbs.

Quote:
Reading your stats and posts have been incentive for me and make me determined to take this seriously, because I realize that I can meet my goal in a short time as proven by your success.

I replied to let you know that it is not just one person that has "been there -done that". The diet works, but you have to follow the diet.

Good luck. Think about all the problems you will no longer have to deal with.
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Sep-26-04, 21:01

Plan: My own
Stats: 240/199.2/165 Male 72 inches
BF:34.0/21/9
Progress: 54%
Smile The freedom to explore other goals

Glimpsing life beyond this single and sometimes dominant issue...
When I got to 220 it was nice. Dropping below 200 was really odd - almost an anticlimax. Today I briefly happened to see 179! (before drinking a load of water). It is increasingly anticlimactic, but in the best of ways. One begins to think beyond the weight - I have begun increasingly to realize and love the way I can now focus on a wider set of health goals - e.g. getting bodyfat really down there (9%?). Being fit again. Knowing more about what is going on in my body, etc.
...and then suddenly, as was suggested before by comparison to other goals, you can think about so many more possibilities. For example, what are you going to do when you hit and maintain the goal? How much fun are you going to have running, or cycling, or kayaking, or sailing, or all of the above while feeling really, really good? It begs the next goal: rather than just "being" with all this new capability, what would be the best way to have a better life with it? - and the many answers for that are beyond the scope of the question
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-05, 22:30

Plan: Atkins since sept 22/02
Stats: 205/165/150 Female 5'8
BF:32/28/22
Progress: 73%
Talking lots of things

Tonight I climbed a 5 foot fence and back over again with no trouble. Can't believe how easy it was. Of course I haven't done that in years! (don't ask why I did it)
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-05, 08:30
Registered Member

Stats: 283/226/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 65%

I know why you did it...because you could. I did something similar when I lost my wieght. I climbed from the lower deck to the upper deck at our cabin for no other reason than the fact that I could do it.
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-05, 12:13

Exclamation very cute dog

Hi Cranial 33, what a lovely pup you have. No, I climbed the fence to catch a family of 5 dwarf rabbits that some brain dead idiots abandoned in the park by my house. Thank God my fab daughter was there. She works for a vet and we managed to catch all five. They were so thirsty they came for the water. Can you believe any one could be so stupid. Well, we got them before the foxes or before they froze to death.
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-05, 18:40

Talking new avatar

This is my new puppy, Berrie. She's a little devil, keeping me going 24/7
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-05, 19:04
Twinkle Toes

Stats: 300/280/150 Female 5 feet 1 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

aww she is just too precious your Berrie, what breed is she?
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-05, 23:44

Stats: 305/212/175 Female 66 inches
BF:Back2DrawingBoard
Progress: 72%

had to do a quick reply to this one, Ive lost a little over 100 lbs.
If this tells you anything, I feel like I am just now at age 30 truly living my life for the first time. Still not at goal yet, but almost there. I love getting to know the new me every single day.
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-05, 09:21

Cool new puppy is getting big

That is a baby pic. Berrie is now 12 months and very white and muddy all the time. She is a bichon frise with the heart of a terrier!!

Dear loosin29, wow, I'm battling my 40. You have really changed your life. All the things you can do now. When I was over 200 I really struggled with some day to day issues. I sure you must feel great. Congratulations and keep up the good work.