Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-28-01, 13:31

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Hi, I just joined Monday of this week and looking for a few buddies in the Dallas area.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-28-01, 14:22
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

This just gave me an idea to post members location on our members list, this way we can see who's where.

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-28-01, 15:31

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

heheheh Glad I could help Wa'il!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-08-01, 19:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 324/253/150
BF:
Progress: 41%

Hi, I'm in Fort Worth, actually Saginaw across the street from Fort Worth.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-14-01, 19:42

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 195/195/135
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Hi

I am from Austin. Just started Atkins.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-01, 09:22

BF:

Hi Shirley,

Welcome to the forum. I think you will really enjoy it. Have you started a journal yet? If not think about doing so. Others will read it and give you encouragement, help, and recipes etc.

What do you think of Atkins so far?? Easy for you??
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-01, 12:28

BF:
Default Hi Dizz

I didn't stay on it to well today. I have been in bed all day. I took a benadryl, and they make me sleepier than heck. I will live and get with it tomorrow. Probably post in my journal tomorrow, so will see you then. God Bless, Shirley P.S. I think I will use cad also part of the time.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-01, 14:28

BF:

I have a friend doing CAD. I have no experience with it other than her. She hasn't lost since she has been on it, but she says it is easier than Atkins because she get to eat it all she wants at one meal as long as she begins with a salad and stops in an hour (which she doesn't always do either). I wonder how anyone can lose when you can eat two full plates of food with two slices of pie at the appointed meal??? Sounds like someone fooling herself but she has my full support because I would never say these things to her, when she is serious she will lose it.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-01, 17:16

BF:
Default Hi Dizz

I don't think she is doing it right. You are not suppose to stuff your self. Only eat until satisfied and you only eat one meal with carbs, and it is suppose to be divided like 1/3 protien, 1/3 complex carbs and 1 carb like a potato. If you want pie it is suppose to be instead of the potato or maybe a small potato a small piece of pie, to equal the other 1/3's of the plate, and you don't stack your plate up. Every other meal is all protien and salad or alloted vegies. You are going to be cutting calories and insulin. This is the way I understand it. Anyway I will let you know if I lose. Rosy O Donald on the talk show, lost over 30 lbs on it. As with Atkins, you have to not cheat. Shirley
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-01, 22:06

BF:

I'm glad to have that information. I think I'll buy the book and read it so I can be a postive support for her. I started out weighting almost 40 lbs more than she, now I weigh 4 lbs less than she. I don't want her to become discouraged

Good luck to you sounds like you are doing this with the right attitude. Keep me informed.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-01, 03:24

BF:
Default Hi Dizz

I will probably do mostly Atkins, and cad when I go someplace special or something. I have read both books. I think we have to do what we can do. not everyone is the same. Some people do well on Atkins, some well on other low carb diets. I am open minded and seeing what will be best for me. Probably by trial and error.
I think you are doing the right thing, about getting the cad book and reading it to support your friend.
I have one thing to ask you about Atkins. I have the Atkins vitamins to support the diet and I was wondering if it has enough vitamin c and potassium to support the woe?
I will have a lot of questions. Hug's and thanks, Shirley
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-01, 15:29

BF:

I also question the vitamins in particular the potassium. I get leg cramps frequently, always have. However, I thought the vitams (extra potassium) might help. Since starting Atkins, I am getting muscle cramps in my index fingers. Just figured I would ask dr what vitamins or supplement type stuff I needed. I thought since it was "Atkins" vitamins it would have to have all that was called for by the book. Perhaps not. Does anyone else know?
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-01, 15:35

BF:
Default Thanks Dizz

Thanks for responding. I know a person needs potassium. I was wondering too, if you can get to much. Shirley
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-01, 21:14

Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Hi Dizz,

I don't have the numbers for the recommended daily potassium intake, but the LC WOL, especially if your water intake is high, will flush potassium out of your system rather quickly. There are 2 easy options: Buy Half-Salt (salt+potassium chloride) or No-Salt (pot-chlr only) and use it just like salt in cooking or at the table. I use No-Salt every day in my omelets & anything with mayo.

Personal anecdote: I suffered from severe cramps in my calves since 1994, used muscles relaxants for 3 years (stoned every day!!!) *LOL* but I didn't know it til I was able to get off them last year & now an occasional pill has me looped. I am convinced that potassium supplementation as above is essential to healthy muscles. I've always drank tons of water & wish my doctor had made the connection back then.

Potassium supplementation (pills or *best* the salts above) is virtually a must for anyone LCing.

Ruth
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Oct-18-01, 08:58

BF:

Thanks Ruth for the good info. I personally don't use salt at the table and cook with very little. However, I will look for half salf or no salt to use while cooking.