Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#1981   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-08, 13:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/183/165 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:Lots
Progress: 22%

How was every one's weekend?
I stayed pretty well on my WOE, except I suppose the dressing on my Oriental Ck. salad at Applebee's had sugar in it.
Went and saw "Mama Mia" What a great movie!!! It was so funny!!
Sponsored Links
  #1982   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-08, 14:10

Plan: Paleo-ish
Stats: 307/287/250 Male 6'5"
BF:too much
Progress: 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsrus
Went and saw "Mama Mia" What a great movie!!! It was so funny!!

I've always been a 'closet' ABBA fan I guess I'm outta the closet now
  #1983   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-08, 08:18

Hey Everyone! It's Wednesday - over the hump day! I'm going to a Christian rock concert at Fort Calhoun!!!!!!!! (I'm thinking I'll take earplugs. LOL. It will be fun anyway.)
Good news is, no weight loss, but the fat is getting rearranged. When I look in the mirror - I MIGHT even decide to take the bikini along - I'm still debating that.
  #1984   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-08, 13:07

Everyone must be busy - or getting last of summer activities in. Quiet place around here.
I didn't do so well as far as strength and toning exercises this week. Walked a mile almost every day, but my body is a little sore from over doing it last week. Hopefully, I'll get inspired this weekend and get back to it Monday.
This weekend it's champagne, rum and cola, and swimming for me!!!! Sounds like a good diet, don't you agree?
  #1985   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-08, 07:07

Where is everyone this week?
I had 2 grease burn scars chemically burned off my face yesterday. Yikes! At the moment it looks terrible! 2 larger spots and black, but Dr. says they will disappear in 2 weeks.
My DS was in a motorcycle accident over the weekend, so I've spent some time up at the hospital these past few days. He has a broken leg and shoulder, but thankfully, otherwise in good shape. A guy turned left, out of the blue, right in front of him.
Everybody ready for the 30th?!?!?!? I am!!!! GO BIG RED!
  #1986   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-08, 10:08

Default Good information on Vitamin D and CANCER!!

Dr. Mercola's Comments: If I told you there was something you could do to cut your risk of 15 types of cancer by 50 percent -- and it wouldn’t cost you a dime -- would you do it?

Well there is, and it’s called sun exposure.

This simple thing is so widely overlooked in the United States, despite the fact that only smoking is a bigger risk factor for cancer. After that, Dr. Grant, who is one of the top experts in the world on this topic, believes that your ability to get proper sun exposure is the next largest variable in whether or not you’ll get cancer.

Vitamin D, the sunshine vitamin, is different from other vitamins in that it influences your entire body -- receptors that respond to the vitamin have been found in almost every type of human cell, from your brain to your bones.

In fact , your organs can actually convert vitamin D in your bloodstream into calcitriol, which is the hormonal version of vitamin D. Your organs then use it to repair damage, including that from cancer cells.

Some physicians are even experimenting with extremely high doses of vitamin D -- upwards of 50,000 international units (IU) a day -- to help advanced cancer patients heal (which is not something I’d recommend doing without very close supervision from an experienced health care provider).

And according to Dr. Grant, about 30 percent of cancer deaths -- which amounts to 2 million worldwide and 200,000 in the United States -- could be prevented each year with higher levels of vitamin D.

How Much Vitamin D do You Need?

Getting about 2,000 IU to 4,000 IU a day of vitamin D can help you to reduce your cancer risk by up to 50 percent. However, most people only get 250-300 IU a day from their diet.

This means you simply need some sun exposure if you want to get enough vitamin D. Your body is capable of producing about 10,000 IU of vitamin D each day when you’re out in the sun, but depending on how much skin you have exposed, cloud cover, location, skin color and other factors, you may make much less than that.

As Dr. Grant pointed out, if you only have 10 percent of your body exposed to the sun you can make about 1,000 IU per day, and if half your body is exposed you can make 5,000 IU.

Keep in mind also that as you age your body’s ability to produce vitamin D decreases significantly. Typical unhealthy adults over 60 actually have just one-quarter the production rate of vitamin D than do younger people, so if you’re over 60 you’ll need to stay out in the sun longer to get enough vitamin D.

The best thing about getting your vitamin D from the sun is that it’s impossible to overdose, and it just feels so good!

In the winter months if you’ve had your vitamin D levels tested and found them to be low, a vitamin D3 supplement (cholecalciferol), which is the type of vitamin D found naturally in foods like eggs, organ meats, animal fat, cod liver oil, and fish, can be used. Continue to have your vitamin D levels monitored during this time, though, so you don’t overdose.

So How Much Sun Should You Get?

A common myth is that occasional exposure of your face and hands to sunlight is "sufficient" for vitamin D nutrition. For most of us, this is an absolutely inadequate exposure to move vitamin levels to the healthy range of 45-55 ng/ml.

You need to expose large portions of your skin to the sun, and you need to do it for more than a few minutes.

In Caucasian skin, an equilibrium occurs within 20 minutes of ultraviolet exposure. It can take three to six times longer for darkly pigmented skin to reach the equilibrium concentration of skin vitamin D. So, bearing in mind that you need to gradually increase your time, starting in the spring, you should be aiming toward exposing large areas of your skin to the sun, anywhere from 20 minutes at a time to two hours at a time, depending on your skin type and environmental factors.

A light-skinned person fairly far from the equator (such as in the UK or the northern U.S.) needs at least three of these 20-minute sessions per week, in bright midday sunlight and with few clothes. Longer will be needed if sunbathing occurs at off-peak times for ultraviolet light (before 12 p.m. or after 3 p.m.) or at the beginning or end of the summer (April or September) when the sun is lower in the sky for most of the day. A dark-skinned person, of course, should be outside significantly longer.

What You Need to Know About the Sun and Sunscreen

The sun’s rays contain two primary wavelengths: ultraviolet A (UVA) and ultraviolet B (UVB).

UVB is the more beneficial of the two, as this is what converts into vitamin D. UVA, meanwhile, is now believed to be a primary risk factor for cancer.

UVB has a wavelength that is more easily filtered through the atmosphere, so on a cloudy day you won’t get as much of that beneficial radiation on your skin to make vitamin D. However, UVA does not get filtered as well and will penetrate the atmosphere more easily, so it will STILL increase your risk of cancer on cloudy days, in the early morning and late afternoon.

Now, if you think you can protect yourself from UVA by using sunscreen, think again.

Many of the sun lotions on the market do not screen for UVA. Unless it specifically says so on the label, assume it doesn’t. What most sunscreens end up doing, then, is screening out the beneficial UVB, and therefore limiting your vitamin D, while allowing the dangerous UVA to filter through!

If you’re using sunscreen, please make sure you use a product that protects you from both UVA and UVB rays, and contains non-toxic ingredients.

Even then, I only recommend using it when you know you’ll be outdoors for a long period and won’t be able to cover up. Ideally, get out in the sunshine with no sunscreen just long enough to get your vitamin D (this can vary from 15 minutes to two hours depending on the factors I mentioned earlier), then cover up with some loose clothing and a hat.
  #1987   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-08, 10:45
You HAVE to WANT it!

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 173.4/166.6/129 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 15%

Hi everyone, I have been super swamped still, miss chatting with you all
  #1988   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-08, 06:50

I'm trying to do according to what my new online diet plan says - that exercise can't be something I do if I have time. It has to be a scheduled part of my day, like showering or brushing my teeth. SO, no my storage room isn't getting cleaned, BUT I did most of the 30 Day Shred DVD (had to lay on the floor and pant during part of the time Jillian was still doing jumping jacks) and later in the evening I walked 2 miles.
I also tried putting my foods into the 'tracker' program that came with this deal, but didn't find it to be real user friendly. I think I'll try Fitday again & see if it's food descriptions are any closer to my actual way of preparing the item. Anyway, I had somewhere around 1600 calories yesterday and 100 carbs. I know that's high for us LC people, but I am trying this overall health thing of watching fat, calories, protein and carbs. LC just wasn't working for me anymore - OTOH, I haven't seen any results from this either. Maybe my scale is broken. (probably not) It just doesn't move off the 175 mark. I'm really getting tired of looking at that number.
  #1989   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-08, 09:35

Default August 30th Husker Game on PPV - but NOT in LIncoln!!

I got an email last night from huskers.com indicating that the August 30th game would be on PPV, but, looking at the Table they included, it is NOT being carried by ANY providers in Lincoln!! This just sucks, guess I'll have to try and get tix....grrr

NEBRASKA
Arapahoe Cable TV

Call (308) 962-7258; channel 10

Arapahoe

CableOne

Order on screen or call (712) 233-2000; Channel 299

Norfolk

Charter

Order on screen (in Kearney)

or call (888) Get-Charter; channel 701

Kearney, Beatrice, Springfield, additional areas.

Comstar

Call (402) 520-1987; channel 16

Beatrice, Pickrell

Glenwood Telecomm

Call (402) 756-313; channel 19

Blue Hill

Huntel Cablevision

Order on screen (in Blair only) or call (402) 426-6200 in Blair; call (888) 262-2661 in Wayne; channel 97 or 400 in Blair; channel 3 in Wayne; channel 97 in Laurel

Blair, Wayne, Laurel

Nebraska Central Telecom

Call (888) 873-6292; channel 18

Burwell, Gibbon

Qwest

Call (402) 691-1999 Option 1; channel 76

Omaha
  #1990   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-08, 09:08

Plan: LC
Stats: 317/283/250 Male 77 inches
BF:Around Middle
Progress: 51%

good morning and YES I am SOOOOOO ready...........
  #1991   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-08, 07:59

It's FRIDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  #1992   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-08, 10:04
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

hello Nebraskans!

Please start a new thread, as this one is getting to be too long . We can post a link to the new thread here, so other readers can find you.

regards,

Doreen
  #1993   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-08, 13:58
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

New thread is located here .. Nebraska 2.

Doreen
Closed Thread