Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Jul-30-17, 07:44

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The don't add fat comes from seven years of being a patient/attending a support group of Dr. Westman's, and hearing Calories Matter over and over . Here's his latest on Stalling on LC...do not need to use macros, eat protein and fat to satiety IF you are trying to lose weight. Do not add BPC unless you are at goal or doing keto for a metabolic treatment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pJ_8EP65Mc

His clinical trial was based on what Dr. Atkins used in his clinic, what Dr. Bernstein advocated, what Phinney & Volek researched ...these icons of LC have not changed their advice. Eat the Protein and the Fat that comes with them to satiety. Thanks to RDDikeman for these four quotes on fat, elevating Dr Ted Naiman to a Twitter icon. He adds good comments all under 140 characters.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Jul-30-17 at 09:07.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Jul-30-17, 08:19

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I always looked at the amount of fat consumed as being relative to the amount I would consume before going LCHF. Since I was brainwashed for so many years that fat was bad, I consumed a limited amount. Today, comparatively speaking, I eat more fat, but do not consume plates of fat, and I got over the BPC consumption, as I realized I was consuming enough fat in other areas. I don't trim fat from meats, eat skins skins of fish (really good when a bit crispy), cook with healthy fat, use fat (olive or avocado oil) on salads, and butter on vegetables. I get plenty now without consuming fat as an individual meal portion.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Jul-30-17, 08:20

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I don't "add" fat or "do" macros, I eat real food that satisfies me, aiming to keep my carbs under 30g net and my protein over 60g and let the fat fall where it may. I use software to track the protein & carbs, but it also tracks the fat and calculates macros. That said, I no longer fear fat, which I avoided during my first 30 years of dieting, including a couple of years on 10% fat Pritikin - using the same software to keep my fat under 10g, protein at ~46g, letting the carbs fall where they may. Now I choose fattier meats, chicken thighs instead of breasts, use some OO or butter or CO to cook with, full fat dressing or mayo on my salads, and a few nuts if I am feeling peckish. I still use my George Forman grill with its handy fat collector tray, but now I pour all the fat over my food after plating it.

I did try BPC a couple of years ago, though never was able to stomach more than 1T total of butter, CO &/or MCT oil per cup. The one thing I did learn was that these are better choices for me than HWC with its extra casein in my coffee; I need just 1 tsp/cup to get the same body in my coffee as with my old 2 tsp of HWC.

Like Mike Eades said, he will have the same burger choice as his friends, but without the bun & fries, and they are horrified by how much fat he is eating. Yet they are eating the exact same fat plus even more fat in the fries and a hefty dose of carbs on top.

Last edited by deirdra : Sun, Jul-30-17 at 08:48.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Jul-30-17, 08:26

Plan: M-F vlc, looser LC wkends
Stats: 353.6/244.8/165 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 58%

Yep, excellent quotes Janet - and none of those doctor's quotes should be in any way surprising points of debate to anyone. It's not like they're proposing anything groundbreaking.

My compliment to you in this thread was exactly driven by the fact that you let common sense prevail, and that you are dedicated in trying to continue to educate people about what they can do to improve their results, during their actively trying to lose phase.

There are a lot of people on this site, and elsewhere, whose end goal weight in 50 lbs or more, above what would be not overweight, for their height. I think this is in large part driven by the difficulties they find either in A) progressing with their weight loss at all in general (and this is normally due to impatience with rate of loss, due to too many carbs, OR too many cals), and/or B) not ever seeing the results that would confirm to them that they can progress beyond a certain point. For the exact same reasons.

Also, I think people are sometimes not really cognizant, or at least maybe not acknowledging of the fact even in their own minds, that it is MIGHTY easy to hit 50% fat, even with choosing the leanest cuts of everything.

I think people literally don't understand, because of how calorically dense very small amounts of fat are - how even 2T of fat used in cooking or on a salad can hugely skew the macros in favor of very high fat numbers. Same if you also consume eggs. And really crazy high going on from that point, if someone IS choosing normal and varied cuts of meat and not the leanest possible. It's SO easy to be at 75% of calories from fat, without the extreme additions on top.

So adding BPC and weird large coffees made with full glasses of pure heavy cream and stuff like this (which TONS of people do)... is crazy to me. I don't judge anyone for the plans they choose.

I'm just commenting, that I think a lot of people are not listening to the voices of reason, and are instead buying into the biggest marketing hypes and fads going in the community. BPC is also popular with dedicated, heavily training athletes, and is also marketed to otherwise not necessarily otherwise LC people.

I just think some the community has really gone to the wrong extreme end of the spectrum, because as you (and the doctors quoted) all rightly point out - the fat needs of someone who is LC and at goal, are just an entirely different animal, to the fat requirements of someone who may be trying their hardest to lose, and who may feel dwarfed in the knowledge of how far they have to go.

Again - just thanks for being you, for your contributions, and for everything you bring to this site.

And that's not to exclude everyone else, from my thanks! Again, I think this thread is great, and very much needed. TY!
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Jul-30-17, 09:10

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
When the "experts" are all over the place with their recommendations you have to figure that no one really knows for sure.

This is one of those Your Mileage May Vary issues, I think!
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Jul-30-17, 09:10

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

The trouble, of course, with common sense is that what is common is not always sense. So the way I like to think about it is that common sense makes sense only in the context of low carb eating. If your underlying assumptions are based on sound thinking then common sense can help you from going off the deep end when thinking about food and what you should eat. As Amy Berger pointed out in one of her other blog posts, freaking out because you have consumed one ounce of red pepper is craziness as is thinking that everything you eat should be slathered in fat. Use some common sense folks . Of course I'm preaching to the choir here. Most people seem to think low fat is sensible. Others that vegan is sensible. Start with assumptions based on the best evidence and then go from there.

Jean