Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-12, 14:18
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Almond Butter Cookies

Made my hubby some delicious cookies this afternoon. They came out kind of chewy and are still like that after they cooled off. I got this base batter idea from the chocolate chip cookie recipe on the back of the Honeyville Farms Blanched Almond flour bag. I made some drastic changes to their basic dough, however. They used all almond flour in their recipe and I’ve added some ingredients I find improve baked goods a bit. I’m very pleased with the chewy texture of these and will likely use this cookie dough for many variations in the future. These are not suitable until the nuts and seeds rung of the Atkins OWL phase. I've already tried two different variations on this basic cookie dough. Stay tuned for those soon.

INGREDIENTS:

2 c. almond flour
½ c. coconut flour
1 T. oat fiber
1 tsp. glucomannan powder (konjac powder)
1/8 tsp. salt
½ tsp. baking soda
½ c. grapeseed oil (or softened butter, if you prefer)
2 T. almond butter
1 T. vanilla extract
½ c. granular Splenda
1 T. erythritol
1 egg, beaten

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 350º. Measure out dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Beat in the egg and vanilla. In a saucer, blend the almond butter and oil as best you can blend them. Add to batter and stir well to form a smooth dough. Roll into 1″ balls and place them onto parchment lined baking sheet. Leave 1″ space between cookies. Press balls down slightly flat and pop pan into preheated oven. Top with chopped, sliced almonds if desired, but this really doesn’t impact flavor, just the look. Bake for about 7 minutes. Do not overbrown these cookies or texture will be drier and less chewy. Remove from oven and cool on the pan a few minutes before removing with a spatula. These are delicate while hot but “firm up” nicely when they cool. Store in an airtight container.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 28 cookies, each contains:

102.7 calories
9.07 g fat
3.95 g carbs, 2.0 g fiber, 1.95 g NET CARBS
2.54 g protein
48.2 mg sodium
11.75 mg potassium
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-12, 15:07

Plan: south beach
Stats: 168/168/125 Female 4'11
BF:
Progress: 0%

What is Konjac powder and where can I get it ?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-12, 15:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/154/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 52%

It is a natural thickener (from a root) and you can get it at netrition.com

Peggy, those cookies look delicious! Can't wait until I can make a batch!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-12, 18:43

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts

Those look good and I appreciate you figuring out using such things as glucomannan and oat fiber but I'm thinking I will want more of a something flavor. Do you think they might lend themselves to butterscotch flavoring? If so, any idea how much? I have some Spicery Shop butterscotch flavoring that's been burning a hole in my cupboard, so to speak.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-12, 19:07
LCing for health!

Plan: GF whole foods
Stats: 160/140/140 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Those look moutherwateringly good! Do you think the chewy texture comes from the oat fiber and glucomannan?
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-12, 19:07
Patience Personified

Actually, the almond butter gave these a VERY noticeable flavor. That kinda surprised me actually. But on your butterscotch idea, which would be good, I think, gee, I would have no idea. Maybe use 1/4 tsp. (1 capful) of extract in your batter and bake the first pan of cookies and taste? Then add more to the rest of the batter if the first cookies are not strong enough? Let me know how those come out. I'd like to try that if I get some butterscotch flavoring one day.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-12, 19:09
Patience Personified

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcstudent
Those look moutherwateringly good! Do you think the chewy texture comes from the oat fiber and glucomannan?

Why thank you! Definitely not chewy because of the oat fiber. It hasn't made any other cookies I've put it in chewy. If anything, oat fiber makes cookies drier and more crumbly/short like shortbread. I'm sure it's the gluc powder that did that.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-12, 19:12
Patience Personified

I made some more of these and added 1/4 tsp. cinnamon and 5 chopped up prunes and those came out REAL moist and chewy:
Think I'll add chopped pecans and a few rolled oats to these for the holidays this year. They kind of remind me of Little Debbie oatmeal cookies (minus the filling) in texture.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-14-12, 17:21
Patience Personified

PLEASE HOLD OFF ON BAKING THESE COOKIES. THERE IS A POSSIBLE ERROR IN THE RECIPE I MUST RESOLVE

Someone baked these and they came out real dry. Though coconut flours vary greatly, I need to reproduce these cookies and find out what is amiss in the typed recipe. I will post back any correction to the recipe. I apologize in advance for any inconvenience.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-14-12, 20:09
Patience Personified

OK, I found the error. I left out 1/4 c. imitation honey. I make my own by boiling for 2-3 minutes: 1/4 c. erythritol, with 1 tsp. real honey, 2 T. imitation sugar-free honey I order at Netrition.com and 1 pkt. stevia. This low-carb honey will dramatically impact the texture and how these cook. Please add this ingredient to your printed recipe and my sincere apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused to anyone who has already tried to make these.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jul-22-12, 17:01
Patience Personified

Bump to be sure all see the correction:

Add 1/4 c. imitation honey to this recipe please.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jul-22-12, 17:19

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts

I left out 1/4 c. imitation honey. I make my own by boiling for 2-3 minutes: 1/4 c. erythritol, with 1 tsp. real honey, 2 T. imitation sugar-free honey I order at Netrition.com and 1 pkt. stevia.

I'm intrigued by this. Thanks for posting.

Which brand of sugar free honey from Netrition? I think I bought Nature's Hollow based on the reviews.

Does your homemade taste more honey-ish and/or has a better texture? And do you add any water? Doesn't seem like these liquids would be enough for that much E.

Do you make it up ahead and keep it for a while or for each cooking project?
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-12, 07:42
Patience Personified

The homemade tastes more like real honey to me and is intensely sweet. But mine DID "sugar" on me and I have to slightly warm it up in the MW each time so I can get it out of the jar. I thinkk I made a quadruple recipe and just store it on the pantry shelf. It's nearly a year old with no spoilage. It's taste/quality hasn't diminished in any other way than the sugaring/thickening issue. Even real honey will sugar on you after a certain point.

I believe my first and only imitation purchase was the Nature's Hollow. But once I made the imitation, I quite ordering it on-line.