Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-14-11, 10:03
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Sock-it-to-me Cake [Carbquik]

I always think of this cake as a breakfast coffeecake. But my MIL always served it for dessert.

This is my mother-in-law’s favorite cake. While still living in her own home, she made it every year at Christmastime. What didn’t get eaten at Christmas dinner, was finished off with breakfast coffee the next morning. She always made hers with 1 c. chopped pecans, but I leave them out as my husband isn’t so fond of nuts. To be more authentic, you could substitute sour cream in for the heavy cream, but carbs will be a tad higher if you do. This recipe is not suitable until the grains rung of OWL due to the bake mixes.

INGREDIENTS:

2 T. granular Splenda
2 tsp. cinnamon
1½ c. CarbQuick bake mix
1 c. Jennifer Eloff’s Splendid Low Carb Bake Mix: http://low-carb-news.blogspot.com/2...stomize-to.html
½ c. plain whey protein
2 T. golden flax meal
1 T. coconut flour
1 tsp. baking powder
¼ c. erythritol
1 large egg, beaten
3 T. sugar-free maple syrup
1/4 tsp. maple extract
4 T. melted butter (for batter)
3 T. melted butter (to drizzle on cake)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
¼ c. vegetable glycerine (or ¼ c. more erythritol)
liquid Splenda to equal 1/3 c. sugar
2 T. water
¼ c. + 1T. heavy cream

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 350º. Grease an 8″ round cake pan or ceramic baking dish (the Corning dish I used is 3″ deep). Mix 2 T. granular Splenda with cinnamon (and nuts if using) on paper plate and set aside for now. In a large mixing bowl, measure and mix all the dry ingredients. In a separate mixing bowl, microwave melt the 4T. butter. Beat in egg and add all other wet ingredients and whisk until fairly smooth. Stir wet ingredients into dry. Blend well. Drop approximately 1/3 of the batter onto bottom of baking dish by tablespoons sort of randomly. Sprinkle with about 1 T. of the cinnamon topping. Drop another layer of 1T. blobs of batter on top. Again sprinkle with about 1 T. cinnamon topping. Drop the final 1/3 of the batter on top and sprinkle with remaining cinnamon topping. Pop into 350º oven and bake for about 30 minutes. Gently remove from oven and check for doneness with toothpick stuck in center. Mine wasn’t done at 30 minutes. It took 10 minutes more cooking. It is done when toothpick stuck in center comes out completely dry. Cool 5-8 minutes before tipping out onto serving platter. Can be enjoyed either warm or cooled.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 8 slices, each contains:

249 calories
21 g fat
14.59 g carbs, 10.26 g fiber, 4.33 NET CARBS (4.64 NC if you add 2 oz. chopped pecans)
17.1 g protein
218 mg sodium
78.4 mg potassium
16.5% RDA Vitamin A, 13.5% iron, 12.4% calcium

Last edited by Buttoni : Mon, Nov-14-11 at 14:58.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-14-11, 14:59
Patience Personified

This recipe underwent major reconstruction today. See next post for all corrections. Please reprint from my website link for the correct and better version of this cake. I apologize for any incomvenience this may have caused.

Last edited by Buttoni : Mon, Nov-14-11 at 22:10.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-14-11, 22:09
Patience Personified

In fact, due to drying out more than I care for, I have baked this cake a second time today with major changes that have GREATLY improved both texture, moisture and flavor. If you copied this recipe earlier today, please reprint directly from my website at this link: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2011/1...-it-to-me-cake/

I apologize for rushing this to press before discovering it wasn't as moist later in the day as it was right out of the oven. I think you'll see by the new pic of the second cake it even looks more moist with the changes. Nutritional stats changed little, however.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-17-11, 15:20

Plan: Figuring it out
Stats: 366/282.2/166 Female 5'6"
BF:YEP/YEP/YEP
Progress: 42%

Sounds YUMMY!!! Definitely adding this to my list of recipes I need to try soon! There are just a few ingredients I'm missing that I will need to purchase first. Thanks again for sharing!!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-18-11, 07:24
Patience Personified

As always, my pleasure. Good food is meant to be shared.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-13, 22:46

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/187/158 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

bump it up
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-13, 23:52
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymagoo
bump it up

No need to bump threads in the recipe forums. You can find a link to every thread in the Contents sticky.