Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-01, 20:03

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 206/180/160
BF:
Progress:
Default Lowered Exercise Performance

Hi,

I was on a low fat ( high carb ) diet for 5
months before switching to low carb. I exercise
on a NordicTrak 5 times a week for 60 minutes.
Before, I could do 4 miles in 60 minutes. Now,
on a lowcarb diet, I can only do 3.2 miles in the
same time.

I monitor my speed with a pulse meter. I keep
my pulse between 145 and 150.

Is this expected?

Thanks,

Mark
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-01, 20:08

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Mark, I moved your post to the exercise forum where it will get better views. I know that it takes time to build up to your preLC levels of intensity, but I see from your profile you've been LCing since May and you should be back on track by now.

Sorry I cant help more, but I am sure that Dan or Fern will have some advice for you.

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-01, 22:00

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%

I wanted to comment on your post because I was having the same problem working out after low-carbing for awhile. I found out I was real low in potassium which can be common with low carbing. I was experiencing dizziness and had a lot of muscle weakness. It took a lot more effort to exercise before starting on the supplements.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-01, 11:00

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 206/180/160
BF:
Progress:

Hi,

Interesting idea about potassium. Before I started a lowcard diet, I had a checkup and blood tests done. Everything was normal except for my
potassium levels, which were low. I was drinking a lot of diet Coke at that time, so the doctor and I assummed it was from the cafeine acting as a dieretic. Normally, I'd eat a banana for potassium, but one banana is 35g of carbs. What
other source of potassium could I use? I take a multivitamin every day.

Thanks,

Mark
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-01, 12:13

BF:

hey mark, Unfortunately U may not be able to get enough potassium from food sources being on atkins, at least that is what I found. I was a HUGE coffee drinker and have hypoglycemia both deplete system of potassium. I take 50mgs of potassium with breakfast and supper. You may only need one a day. I take a lot of other supplements as well. I would add potassium to your regime cause Im sure it wouldnt hurt and I will bet within a fewdays U will notice a difference in your exercise performance.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-01, 14:11

BF:

Your best bet for potassium cheap is a product called "nuSalt". Its potassium chloride. 1/8th tsp in a VERY LARGE glass of water gives you +325mg potassium (2x a day during Induction and once a day thereafter). "NuSalt" is kept with regular salt in your grocery store.

Nat
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-01, 18:52

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default agree ...

Usually a decrease in performance can be linked to (1) dehydration or (2) insufficient electrolyte levels.

Potassium should be at 100 to 500mg per day if you are doing intensive daily exercise. Personally, I take 200mg.

Sodium is an electrolyte, but most of us get enough in our diets so it is not a concern.

Magnesium plays an important role ... and is often overlooked. It is necessary for calcium and Vitamin C metabolism, and is involved in hundreds of enzyme reactions in the body .

Fatigue and muscle weakness can be signs of magnesium deficiency. If you are exercising intensely, you should be supplementing with 400mg of magnesium. Green veggies are generally high in magnesium, so try to include them in your diet when you can.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-01, 21:21

BF:
Default Re: agree ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Trainerdan
Magnesium plays an important role ... and is often overlooked. It is necessary for calcium and Vitamin C metabolism, and is involved in hundreds of enzyme reactions in the body .

Dan is right, as usual Magnesium also plays a part in how potassium is used (or not used for that matter). Be sure if you're supplmenting with mag that you get a chelated type as it is more easily absorped by the body. Mag often comes with Calcium in a ratio of 2:1 (333mg cal / 167 mg mag). RDA for mag is 400 - 500; for calcium 800 - 1500 (depending on age and whether you're breastfeeding / pregnant)

Nat
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-01, 09:15

BF:
Default hey trainerdan

You said we should be getting upwards of 500mgs of potassium. I know I was real low in it for awhile so I take 50mgs morning and night plus I know I am getting more from certain things I eat. I was wondering tho if I should be taking an extra supplement?
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-01, 09:22

BF:

While there is no RDA for potassium it is generally agreed that you should be getting between 1800 - 2400 mg a day from various sources (dietary and supplemented). If you'd like to find out just how much you're getting daily try entering a few sample menus into fitday.com. Under reports it will track nutritional data including potassium, I typically average about 2100 mg.

Nat
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-01, 09:50

BF:
Default Thank Nat

I will check out that web site. Because I have fibromyalgia I know my body may be depleated of lots of vitamins and minerals. I take LOTS of supplements but there may be something else I could use.