Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Oct-15-16, 19:32
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/keto
Stats: 216/211/170 Male 5' 11''
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Need advice with macros counting

I am not new to LC but never counted macros. I just started a 75 day challenge that ends on Christmas Day and I need to lose about 40 lbs (not necessarily in 75 days). Started LC on 10 th oct and been in ketosis for 3 days now (light pink on keto sticks). Not counted anything to date. Just eat what I want and avoid carbs (keep it under 25-30g).

To maximize weight loss what do I need to do? Should I count macros? If yes, pls give me some guidance. I will start cardio next week. Also light pink or purple ketosis is ketosis right?

Thanks a lot in advance.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-16-16, 10:00

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Yes, its "ketosis" but ...http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2016/0...-a-ketard1.html dont overly worry about it.

If you keep carbs under 25-30g, do not gorge on protein, and only eat when hungry, you do not need to count macros. A problem with macros is that you do not know how much fat is coming from your own body stores, so what you set for fat is not what you eat. Here are some examples how it might work during the different phases of weight loss. https://lowcarbrn.wordpress.com/201...-force-the-fat/
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-16-16, 11:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

I agree with Janet. I haven't counted anything but carbs and my hunger, and have lost 35 lbs net since starting this journey. I eat zero grains as part of the under 20 grams of carbs. But then, since stopping grains my hands, which have become arthritic, feel so much better that it's a no brainer to keep off them, you know?
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-16-16, 16:10
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks a million. This helps because being a busy professional I don't really want to add another counting stress on me. I am sure I will lose my beer gut and I saved enough for a small lipo job on my love handles...I am sure they wont recede. Looking forward to a better body and life.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-16-16, 17:37

Plan: LCHF/ketogenic
Stats: 163/132/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Just be sure not to go overboard with protein. Have normal portions and you'll be good.

Also, I bet you can get the love handles to recede without surgery. Have faith and good luck! You've found a great place here.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Oct-16-16, 18:59

Yup. Eat enough fat. You'll know what that is when you find yourself still being satisfied from breakfast till lunch, and from lunch till dinner.

If you were the type who loves to crunch numbers, then counting macros would be something you also love. But if you are not, why add to your stress? I have my own business, and have to do numbers crunching for that. It's NOT the part of the business I love, by any means. I'm losing by counting just carbs, and I love what I eat, and know that it's good, healthy whole foods. What else matters?
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-16, 20:12
Registered Member

BF:
Default Sulphury gas and bloat

It's day 8 of my keto diet and everything's been going great so far but today evening I started having gas with smells from hell and had one round of diarrhea. Not had any veggies in two days but can't think of anything unusual. Here is what I ate

1. coffee + butter + MCT
2. 3 eggs boiled
3. LC muffin with with tbsp sour cream
4. Cooked ground lamb 1 serving
5. 1 oz almonds
6. 3 steaks of fried fish
7. Greek yogurt with 2 tbsp sugar free jam

Is this a fiber issue? I just took two rounded tbsp of psyllium. Some idiot said it could be detox where my body is flushing out toxins and wastes and not eating veggies for two days shouldn't cause issues.

I am afraid that if I have diarrhea again I might have to hydrate with electrolytes which will kick me out of ketosis. Any ideas suggestions guys/gals?
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-18-16, 04:48

Quote:
kick me out of ketosis
You didn't read the TuitNutrition article I linked above

Previous thread on diarrhea: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=180608

First guess, the MCT oil. http://fixyourgut.com/diarrhea-from...-as-they-sound/

Why did you take 2 TBL of psyllium? That's a lot if you have not taken it before. Some can handle it, I'm allergic to the stuff.

Was the LC muffin full of flax? Were there sweeteners or sugar alcohols in the LC muffin? SF jam could also be loaded with them, they are not kind to digestion.

You can hydrate without any sugars...you don't need Gatorade, make your own.

Ps: I have seen many photos of men where the "love handles" did recede. Start with Ken in the success stories. And lipo is not a permanent solution to fat removal ...it comes back! http://www.webmd.com/beauty/news/20...r-liposuction#1. Save your money.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Oct-18-16 at 05:38.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-18-16, 06:25
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Jey, I did read the article and it went against what I was told or what I thought was how keto works. If you read between the lines the essence is that you don't need keto to lose weight. A caloric deficit is what's causing the weight/fat loss. If I eat a pure carb based diet and still eat a deficit I am bound to lose weight. Where keto is helping is satiety. Also the article strictly says you can be in ketosis or fat adapted and still not lose weight if you eat too much fat.

I love keto and I have personally experienced it's wonderful side effects. It was just the one bout of diarrhea and bloat that bothered me. I have taken psyllium before no issues with that. Btw the movements were fantastic and it was already playing "peek a boo" by the time I walked from my bedroom to the bathroom.

I don't use any artificial sweeteners not even stevia. I have been drinking the butter+MCT for a week no issues so I doubt it's that. The muffins were savory. The jam was polaner raspberry and it is mostly fiber.

I am doing fantastic this morning. It might be that I just have to find a way to sneak in veggies. Thanks for the support. Weight went up 2 lbs this morning but who cares for now. I will keep you posted.

Thanks.

PS: will look into the love handles article today.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-18-16, 06:58

Glad to hear you are feeling better today. The suggestions in the disaster pants article about MCT Oils are good ones to consider. Buy good quality, use smallest amount needed or take with some protein will reduce the risk of digestive upset. A little increase in MCT could have triggered the irritation and flushing of gut, especially if combined with flax in a muffin.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Oct-18-16 at 07:11.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-18-16, 08:27

Puckster, you probably do not need a lot of fiber if you eat enough fat. Psyllium is best used in very small amounts, and having used it before may or may not have any bearing on using it now: your diet is different, your age is different, etc.

Were the muffins homemade, or store-bought? If the second, you may not know all that was in them. A LOT of the homemade ones, whether sweet or savory, have added flax. And flax is terrifically high in fiber, and frequently known to cause excessive elimination.

LOL, I bought "Flackers" a cracker made with flax seed, to serve with cheese before dinner last Thanksgiving. I warned everyone to eat no more than one of them, because of their effects!

I'd vote for the psyllium having been the culprit, especially with the bloating. What psyllium does is to suck up a lot of water to increase bulk and smooth movement through the colon, it's primarily a water soluble fiber. A colon that's extra full will definitely cause that bloated feeling. Drinking plenty of water today, along with replenishing electrolytes as suggested by Janet, and the weight should go. Expect extra peeing.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-18-16, 10:33
Registered Member

BF:

Thank Mickie, here is the muffin recipe. Its got no flax in it.

1.5 cups almond flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/3 cup mozarella shredded
1/3 cup sour cream
4 tbsp unsalted butter
2 eggs
salt and pepper to taste

Mix everything, put into muffin trays, bake at 400 degrees for 14-16 minutes. All they need is some more butter on top, if you have a sweet tooth slather some SF jam.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0182.JPG (49.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0183.JPG (45.8 KB, 3 views)
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Oct-18-16, 12:43

Plan: vsg/low carb
Stats: 306/153/150 Female 5'6.5"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Thanks Jey100 for the link to lowcarbrn.

I really needed to read that. I'm going to work on lowering
my fat a bit and see if that helps get my weight moving
downward.