Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-01, 20:54

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default The Mind-Muscle Connection

The Mind-Muscle Connection
Smart Training: Retrain your brain to produce your best muscle gains ever.

Do you ever just go through the motions? You know, sleepwalk through a workout just for the sake of getting it done, absentmindedly pumping out your biceps curls while thinking about your ailing 401K, the latest celebrity murder trial or the unalterable futility of existence. If it’s the latter, first take meds, then keep reading.

If you regularly trade in your brain for a complimentary towel when you walk into the gym, or if you’ve never learned how to focus on the working muscle, you’re missing out on perhaps the biggest secret to building your body: the mind-muscle connection. Simply put, you need to engage your gray matter while you engage the iron. Let your mind wander, like a punch line in search of a joke, and you won’t find much humor in the results.

To drive this point home, we decided we couldn’t rely on just some book-schooled Ph.D. or exercise physiologist. No, we needed someone who knows what we’re talking about firsthand. Enter Milos Sarcev, pro bodybuilder and personal trainer from Temecula, Calif. While Sarcev’s personal experience with honing the mind-muscle link comes from building a massive and striated physique straight out of a Duke Nukem video game, his advice rings true for anyone trying to add some quality size.

Enter the Zone
If you’ve ever rained shots down during a pickup basketball game with a seemingly can’t-miss, magical touch, you know the zone. Failing that, you’ve at least seen Kobe Bryant or Allen Iverson enter it on occasion. It’s a feeling of automatic pilot that is similar to the mind-muscle link in weight training. If you train correctly, you fall into a virtual trancelike state, wherein your breathing pattern and lifting speed blend into a cadence, while in your mind you see the proper muscles firing on each perfectly controlled rep.

As a beginner, Sarcev admits he knew nothing about the mental aspects of lifting. “When I started training in 1980,” he says, “I’d look at the pictures in bodybuilding magazines and try to simulate the exercises. I didn’t pay attention to the feeling in the muscle until I ran into a 60-year-old gymnast who was training in my gym. He asked me, ‘Can you squeeze a muscle on command? If I ask you to squeeze your right outer triceps, for example, can you do it?’ What he was talking about was mind-muscle control. He was actually capable of isolating a muscle like the rear delt and squeezing it in isolation from the rest of his shoulder.”

According to Sarcev, the gymnast revealed a simple yet often overlooked tenet of getting results: Feel the body part you’re working by deliberately contracting it as you lift. For example, if you’re benching, visualize your pecs contracting as you raise the bar. This is where many lifters fall short, Sarcev explains, because they use whatever means necessary to lift a weight without concentrating on making the intended muscle do the work. “Building muscle is not about moving a weight from point A to point B. It’s about squeezing the muscle and exerting complete control over every inch of the movement.”

Slow Speed Ahead
To develop the “zone mentality” from the get-go, Sarcev suggests trying a technique he calls “super-slow reps”: Take a full five seconds to lower a weight and another full five seconds to lift it. “From the very first moment you pick up the weight, you need maximal tension in the muscle,” he says. “You can’t use momentum, and you can’t relax in the negative [lowering] phase of the exercise. With super-slow reps, you won’t be focused on the object you’re moving but on the muscle you’re working.”

Whether you’re just starting out or getting back into a program, or if your brain cells are on autopilot when you’re in the weight room, Sarcev suggests using super-slow reps for at least one to three months to develop a connection. “After that, you’ll be familiar with the feeling you should have in the muscle when working out. That way, when you don’t have that feeling, you’ll know to question what you’re doing wrong.”

Sarcev adds that, no matter what program you do, lifting weights and using your head are not mutually exclusive activities. “Going in with an empty mind and just lifting weights is easy. But if you don’t have a strong mind-muscle link, you’re just wasting your time in the gym.”
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-01, 21:26

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%

fern:
i can't believe you posted this. i just bought my first "runners" magazine, and this was the reason i bought it. running is getting so boring and now i know, i just what i need to do.
thank you so much. i am going to print your post so i always have it with me.
thanks again
Brenda
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-02-01, 12:40
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Thumbs up

I use a similar but inverse technique for relieving muscle spasm .. I picture the cramped muscle elongating, softening, relaxing -- and it works! It never occurred to me to do the opposite when exercising. I'm going to work with this when doing my resistance work .. I hope to build some much needed muscle mass and strength (albeit slowly )

thanks for this!

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-02-01, 18:12

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:

Brenda and Do-
You're welcome! I know for me sometimes it is hard really concentrating at the gym b/c I am thinking about the other million things I have to do and I just go through the motions. I am really trying to focus completely on working out and I thought this article was pretty good! Glad it helped!!

Linda