Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-17, 14:50

Plan: Atkins 20
Stats: 237.6/150/155 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 106%
Default Does anyone get dizzy?

Sometimes I don't eat for a while because I don't feel hungry... But then if I get up suddenly I feel lightheaded, like I am about to faint. My blood pressure is normal, I am pretty strong and athletic.... Could it be hypoglycemia? I am mostly in ketosis and my normal blood sugar at the doctor's is in the 80s.

Does anyone else get lightheaded?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-17, 15:56

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

It sounds like you are not getting enough salts - sodium, potassium & magnesium. The first two are cheaply available in table salt and NoSalt (or half salt mixes) on your food or in some water, the Mg from a supplement.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-17, 16:59
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Yeah, it's fairly normal. I've had it since long before I was a LCer. It's more noticeable when I'm actively restricting/losing weight, any time I've drastically cut processed foods (ie salt) and at TOM when I'm rapidly losing all of the water weight I put on at PMS time. I've just gotten used to getting up slowly, all the time, just to be safe.

It has multiple contributing factors like the salts/electrolytes, but in general, it's low blood pressure. It's known as orthostatic hypotension if you want to google it. Your blood pressure might have been normal at last check, but it varies, and standing up suddenly can really make it dip.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-17, 21:23

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 236/220/185 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 31%

My issues are the missing salt/potassium. Are you also getting Charlie horses, muscle cramps? Lack of potassium!

Drink broth, take about 1/2 tsp of mix of salt & potassium twice a day, and see if you don't feel better quickly.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-26-17, 08:16

BF:

Thanks! I will try upping the magnesium and potassium. (I do already take them but in small doses). Can't up my salt intake just now... For two weeks, I am on a low iodine diet in preparation for radiation therapy for my thyroid cancer. I could use potassium salt though. I will ask for K and Mg levels to be tested the next time I have a blood test.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-26-17, 08:26

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 236/220/185 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 31%

Hymalian salt has no iodine.. that's what I mix with the Nu Salt (potassium). I store it in little dressing cups with lids and scoop out a tsp and chug with cold water.

The shakes, dizziness and cramps have gone away.

It's mind blowing how much salt your body got eating processed foods, then going LCHF is like nothing.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-26-17, 10:22
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

For the record, blood electrolyte levels don't really reflect whether or not your intake is sufficient (or in excess.) They're more a test of kidney function and such. Your body works to keep those in homeostasis - balanced - like your body temperature. To compare it to body temp, it would be like using a test of your body temp to figure out if your furnace is working. Let's say it's a frigid winter day and your furnace breaks down. The house starts getting cold. You start feeling chilly, you shiver a bit, and curl up in a blanket. You're not a happy camper. But your body temp will still measure as normal, and yet your furnace is still broken. So for those electrolytes, they can test normal, but normal isn't necessarily optimal.

Best of luck.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-26-17, 10:59

BF:

Kristine -- Thanks -- but I am confused. Then what would reveal whether my intake is sufficient? Are these symptoms the indication? I think this is mostly happening when I've recently not eaten (as in several hours between meals, or overnight plus not eating till around noon).
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-26-17, 13:17

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by andante
Kristine -- Thanks -- but I am confused. Then what would reveal whether my intake is sufficient? Are these symptoms the indication? I think this is mostly happening when I've recently not eaten (as in several hours between meals, or overnight plus not eating till around noon).
I'm not Kristine, but yes, the symptoms are trying to tell you something. Also, if taking more K & Mg eliminates the symptoms, like most of us have found, it confirms the cause.