Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-18, 06:24

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default Pills are not the answer to unhealthy lifestyles ... in The BMJ!

Quote:
Fiona Godlee, editor in chief

fgodlee~bmj.com

More than half of adults aged over 45 will be labelled as hypertensive if new US guidelines are adopted, concludes a study in The BMJ this week (doi:10.1136/bmj.k2357). This equates to 70 million people in the US and 267 million people in China being eligible for antihypertensive drugs, a marked increase on already high rates of drug treatment for high blood pressure. Furthermore, the study calculates that 7.5 million people in the US and 55 million in China would be advised to start drug treatment, while 14 million in the US and 30 million in China would be advised to receive more intensive treatment. The evidence from trials indicates some benefit from drugs in terms of reduced risk of stroke and heart disease, but is mass medication really what we want?

Hypertension is just one of the many heads of the lifestyle disease hydra. Another is type 2 diabetes. Once thought to be irreversible and progressive, it is now known to be potentially reversible through weight loss. This is the cautious conclusion of the review by Nita Forouhi and colleagues (doi:10.1136/bmj.k2234), part of our series on the science and politics of nutrition (bmj.com/food-for-thought). Whether by calorie or carbohydrate restriction, weight loss has been shown to improve glycaemic control, blood pressure, and lipid profile and is the key to treatment and prevention of type 2 diabetes, they say.

What about non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD), now estimated to affect more than a quarter of adults and up to 90% of people with obesity or type 2 diabetes? This too is largely a disease of lifestyle, closely linked to overweight and obesity, as well as type 2 diabetes and heart disease. You can read about how to diagnose and monitor patients with NAFLD in the review by Christopher Byrne and colleagues (doi:10.1136/bmj.k2734). As for treatment, again it’s down to weight loss through diet and exercise. There are currently no FDA approved drug treatments. There are, however, about 100 drugs currently going through phase II and III clinical trials, and the NAFLD market is estimated to be worth $1.6bn (£1.2bn; €1.4bn) by 2020.1

This is an appalling prospect. All health systems are under pressure, and it’s right that we stop doing things that don’t work, as Ann Robinson finds (doi:10.1136/bmj.k3028). But pills can’t be the answer to diseases caused by unhealthy living. As well as unsustainable cost for often marginal benefit, they always cause harm. Rather than medicating almost the entire adult population, let’s invest our precious resources in societal and lifestyle change, public health, and prevention.

References
↵Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis drug pipeline overview. Pharmacy Times. Sep 2016. https://www.pharmacytimes.com/contr...peline-overview. Google Scholar

“Pills always cause harm”: BMJ editor-in-chief calls for lifestyle changes over medication

Quote:
As chronic disease rates increase and the pharmaceutical industry grows in size, are we in danger of believing that popping a pill can solve problems caused by an unhealthy lifestyle?

BMJ editor-in-chief Fiona Godlee certainly thinks so. She cites new US guidelines that would label more than half of adults aged over 45 as hypertensive, exploding rates of type 2 diabetes, and a market for drugs for non-alcoholic fatty liver disease of an estimated $1.6bn by 2020, pointing out that all of these conditions could be addressed by adopting healthier lifestyles. She cites a recent review led by a Cambridge University professor finding that:

Whether by calorie or carbohydrate restriction, weight loss has been shown to improve glycaemic control, blood pressure, and lipid profile and is the key to treatment and prevention of type 2 diabetes

Fiona Godlee has made a point, since she took up the position of editor-in-chief of The BMJ, of standing up for what she believes in. She has, in the past criticized the corruption of medicine and science by the pharmaceutical industry. She also stood behind a decision to publish a critique of the US dietary guidelines by Nina Teicholz, after a correction was published about one of the references. Godlee has spoken up in the past about the way diabetes is treated, describing the way insulin is “pushed” on to diabetic patients as “a scam”. Now, in the latest edition of the BMJ, an article by Godlee describes the growth of the pharmaceutical industry and the growing number of people to be put on medication as:

An appalling prospect. Pills can’t be the answer to diseases caused by unhealthy living. As well as unsustainable cost for often marginal benefit, they always cause harm. Rather than medicating almost the entire adult population, let’s invest our precious resources in societal and lifestyle change, public health, and prevention.

The BMJ: Pills are not the answer to unhealthy lifestyles

Increasingly, people around the world are dramatically improving their health and either reducing or eliminating their need for medications by following a low carbohydrate diet.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/pills-al...over-medication
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-18, 07:22
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

We recently had an event at work for a free health examination. The company offered $40 Walmart gift cards to all who participated, so we had over 90% participation. They measured weight, height and waist circumference, then calculated our BMI. They used some electronic gizmo to calculate body fat percentage. They also did a basic lipid panel (BG, Total and HDL cholesterol). After that we met with a nurse to discuss the results. I did well. I would have come away clean -- overweight but healthy -- EXCEPT that they changed to the new standards for hypertension. My typical BP was on the higher side of normal on the old scale. By the new scale I am hypertensive again. The nurse suggested medication. I told her that I used to take hypertension medication, but my doctor had taken me off of it. She noted in my report that my 'hypertension' was being managed under doctor's care. So ultimately there was a cost to this 'free screening'. I'm not labeled hypertensive again and only because the scale changed.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-18, 11:28

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Clearly, we need more voices like Fiona Godlee's. Pills do cause harm despite cases where they are necessary to treat serious conditions. Pharma is a tremendously large industry functioning in an environment where the worldwide lack of knowledge of what constitutes a healthy lifestyle guarantees business success. In addition, people have readily adopted the idea that a pill seemingly can fix anything. Not only is this a dangerous philosophy, but it's also dramatically changed the approach to being a doctor. Physicians need their degrees and licenses to prescribe medicine. That act alone has evolved to result in the most frequently taken action in today's medicine. Just a simple adjustment of the guidelines makes the majority of the population candidates for prescription medications. Control is lacking and is probably the most important thing to prevent this overwhelming trend from runaway status as the most serious health issue we face today.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-18, 11:36

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I wouldn't mind taking pills for illness IF IT WORKED. But it doesn't, and brings side effects along for the ride.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-18, 12:03

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Seems weird to me how the average person my age is supposedly on several prescription meds for, well, whatever. I've had to turn down four different offers from the doctor. BP (which was white coat variety only), stomach acid (eliminated the suspect foods on my own), 2 for cholesterol. The most knowledgeable research I've been able to find indicated in women, maybe men too, higher cholesterol is good not bad. So no thanks nasty cholesterol drug side effects, I'd rather be healthy. I show up annually because they ding you on insurance price if you don't. It's not due to any trust in conventional medical advice when not an acute illness. Articles typically (to keep away lawsuits?) tell you to consult with your doctor before changing diet, exercise, whatever. Good idea for people managing a medical condition, which I'm not. Last doctor I heard talk to my DH was advising high carb. Fortunately he trusts me more.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-18, 12:36

BF:

Were I not low carb and doing my own medical research with resources like this board, I would be exactly like my poor friend of my own age. She takes:
  • a statin, which I thankfully talked her out of
  • metformin, because she's overweight and has diabetes
  • a stomach pill because the metformin makes her sick
  • blood pressure med
  • Ambien and a CPAP machine
  • SSRI because she's miserable
  • something for restless legs
  • something for arthritis

And she is not unusual! I just try to be an example of someone who is doing better without all this... but you know, it's really tough for some to buck the medical profession.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-18, 12:45

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I'm another low carb success story. I am closing in on 70 years old and I take 0 prescription drugs. It wasn't always that way. I feel so fortunate that I was able to take matters into my own hands, do the necessary research and figure out how to eat to become healthy and ditch the pills.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-18, 12:49

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Commercial is on TV right now to sell drug called Repatha.
The lady is in a restaurant with her friends. The commentator says her Stanton isn't working, so she should take Repatha with her Stanton drug. Camera pans to look out of the window with an ambulance sitting outside of the restaurant.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-18, 09:05

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
I'm another low carb success story. I am closing in on 70 years old and I take 0 prescription drugs. It wasn't always that way. I feel so fortunate that I was able to take matters into my own hands, do the necessary research and figure out how to eat to become healthy and ditch the pills.

I so admire not only your success, but your stubbornness

Which means, how much of that “oh, it’s aging,” we get from doctors is really true? It turned out to be an underlying, undiagnosed, condition in my case. I am also not taking any prescription drugs, and find good eating and proper supplementation is helping me far more than drugs ever did.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-18, 12:47

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

I know a few older people that are med free and have busy lives. I still hold up my grandfather as a great example--going strong into his mid 90's. Independent living, driving others around, of sound mind. He is long gone now, but not forgotten. He is my inspiration.