Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 17:24
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default About Peas

Hi Guys:

I need help on this one. What category are sugar snap peas? Are they a starchy carb or a Nonstarchy veggie? In SPII, green peas are a starch, but snow peas are a veggie. Are sugar snap peas considered a pea pod and included with snow peas?

She mentions that a NS veggie is < 5 grams of carbs/half cup serving, but my program doesn't include sugar snap peas.

Thanks for any help on this one. I know nothing about peas.

Wanda
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 18:56

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 115/115/115
BF:
Progress:

Wanda,

I found a nutritional label for some frozen sugar snap peas here

It said that they have 6g of carbs per 2/3 cup.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 18:58
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%

Quote:
How does a sugar pea and a sugar snap pea differ? Sugar peas are flat podded English peas developed to be stir fried or cooked while the seed is undeveloped. Sugar snap peas are English peas which retain a fleshy pod wall after the seed has developed. Sugar snap peas are used like green beans.

Quote:
NUTRITION A 100 gram or 3.5-ounce serving of cooked green peas has 70 calories, 12 grams of carbohydrates, less than .5 gram of fat, 2 grams of dietary fiber, about 30% of the Daily Value (or RDA) for vitamin C, about 10% for vitamin A, 10% for iron and 2% for calcium. Peas are an excellent source of protein with over 5 grams of protein per serving, a good source of folic acid, and a decent source of potassium.

Pea Thread
This link came up in a search for "sugar snap peas". I found some other info out there too. HTH.

LizzyB
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 20:27
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Cicely & Lizzy:

Cicely, that link didn't work but what you give suggests that they are NS veggies. Lizzy, thanks for the link. It was helpful except I don't know how to convert the weight to measurement to figure it out.

I keep finding different carb counts for these babies. Fitday has edible pea pods listed at 11.28 grams/1 cup which makes them a starch. I found this link: http://www.broccoli.com/peasnut.htm but don't know how that converts either. Then there's this one: http://www.google.ca/search?q=cache...&hl=en&ie=UTF-8 which makes them a starch as well.

There are differing opinions on carb count and I'm not sure why Schwarzbein didn't include them on her list. Maybe I'll compromise and make it half veggie & half starch.

Come to think of it, I think the carb count is the same for baby carrots. Yep, I just checked - 11 grams/1 cup. I've been counting them raw as veggies.

Ok, now I'm scratching my head in indecision.

Wanda
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 08:10
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%

How about if they are raw or lightly sauteed they are a NS veg. If they're cooked like carrots or tomatoes, then they're a carb. Whatcha think?

Liz
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 09:34
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hey, Lizzy, good thinking!!!! Maybe that's what I'll do.

Those baby carrots are throwing me a bit too. Somehow I get the feeling that they should be a starch. You know, I think I'm going to e-mail SP about these.

Wanda
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 10:10
Registered Member

Stats: 177/173/160
BF:
Progress: 24%

Wanda,

I don't know about carb counts, but more often than not, those packages of "baby carrots" are not baby carrots at all, but what's left of broken or rotting carrots after the outside is carved away. They therefore consist almost entirely of the core of the carrot, where the fewest nutrients are found. They're convenient, but I never buy them any more.

Carrots are one of the few things I always buy organic, and since there are no pesticides involved, I don't even peel them anymore -- just give them a good scrub. That way they're not too much trouble, and they're one more thing I know my kids will get some good out of.

Beth N.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 10:53

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

GOOD GRIEF!! From sweet litte, convenient "baby carrots" to firm guts of rotting, decaying, OLD carrots! Now you're gonna tell me the tooth fairey is just my sneeky Mommy...

Isn't it nuts that cooking carrots changes them from ok to not-so-ok? Whoda thunk it?

I'll still buy baby carrots since the ones I get are organic and pretty cheap. The big ones rotting in my fridge probably aren't really doing me much good, nutrition wise, at this point.

Jinx

PS, since you were so kind as to malign my friend the baby carrot, I must tell you to take care with cleaning those organic veggies. Even though there are no peticides, E Coli from natural poopoo fertilizer can cause problems.

Last edited by MsJinx : Wed, Jul-09-03 at 10:56.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 12:02
Mad Scientist

BF:

OMG Beth, say it ain't so! I wonder if that goes for organic baby carrots as well? Shoulda known they were too good to be true. How'd you find that out?

Jinxy, you're so funny..... poopoo fertilizer...

Wanda
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 12:40
Registered Member

Stats: 177/173/160
BF:
Progress: 24%

Quote:
How'd you find that out?

Well, it's been a few years on that one, so I went looking again, and the news, apparently, is good. Originally baby carrots were, indeed, cut down from carrots in the reject pile -- rotten, or just too big, too small, or too crooked.

BUT, apparently the tremendous growth in demand surpassed the supply of rejects, so that a new variety of carrot was developed specifically for use as "baby carrots" that would grow quickly and have a more uniform width from stem to tip. The articles I found on this did indicate that this variety of carrot is substantially lower in beta-carotene than other carrots, but that carrots are SO high in beta-carotene that the reduction isn't too relevant.

So, there. Your problem is solved and I'm left trying to figure out how to make sure I get all the poop off my organic ones.

Beth N.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 13:33
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Beth:

Finally something too good to be true that's true. I love those little things.

What an interesting story of how baby carrots came to be. Thanks for going to the trouble to help us out.

Quote:
So, there. Your problem is solved and I'm left trying to figure out how to make sure I get all the poop off my organic ones.

Aren't those fruit & veggie sprays good for getting poop off? I think I read that you can clean them with a small amount of food grade peroxide added to water. Also heard liquid grape seed extract (added to water) is a good disinfectant. Plain old vinegar would work too.

Wanda
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 20:03

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 148/119/120 Female 66 inches
BF:29%/14/12%
Progress: 104%
Wink peas and poopy carrots

Organic baby carrots straight from the bag are my favorite ns veggie - please tell me they're not poopy or rotten! I bought a big bag of sugar snap peas at Cosco a while back, and according to the carb count on the package it qualified as a ns veggie, but I don't remember the specific count. Unfortunately my true Southern husband only likes them cooked til there's no crunch left.

Jen
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 19:58
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Everyone:

I just received this e-mail from the Schwarzbein site. But I didn't get the royal treatment from the good doctor herself like Piano did.

Quote:
Hello:
Could you please clarify 2 veggies for me that aren't listed in SPII? Based on Dr. S's <5 grams/half cup rule:

1) Are raw baby carrots (5.5g carbs/half cup) considered a starchy veggie?

2) Sugar snap peas - I've seen them listed at 4.5 g/half cup as well as 5.5 g/half cup. Are they a starch or veggie? Or do they follow the tomato and carrot rules?

Thanks for your help!
Wanda

Dear Wanda,

Good job look at labels.

Even though carrots are on the borderline of this rule, we count all raw carrots as non-starchy vegetables because of their high fiber content.

Sugar snap peas are also non-starchy vegetables, raw and cooked.

The only exception to the rule is if you have severe insulin resistance and you eat large portions of these foods. In this case, it would be beneficial to count them as part of your carbohydrate intake.

Sincerely,

Betsy Stanshine RD
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 23:24
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

For people who don't always manage to buy organic veggies this might help with identifying true baby carrots from "firm guts of rotten old decaying carrot's" as Jinx so puts it - if you check on the bag the tarted up oldies will likely say - "baby cut" carrots - that's what the bags at my store say - and they are suspiciously regular in shape and size. - similar fake is parisiene potatoes - look like small peeled new potatoes but actually just cut of regular ones.

Does washing off the poop help - because if they were fertilized with contaminated poop then wouldn't it (the E-Coli) actually be in the makeup of the veggie. You know sucked up through the roots as it was growing.

All this investigation will have us afraid to eat a thing -
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 09:38
Mad Scientist

BF:

My organic carrots say "organic peeled carrots" yet the conventional ones at the grocery store said "baby peeled carrots". I'm inclined to think that my beloved organic carrots are the rotting kind. I'll have to contact the company.

Wanda