Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-13-11, 09:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 150/145/125 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Atkins Induction Confusion

Hello,
I just read and started the Atkins program. I am a little confused on the source of the 20 grams of carbs I am to consume daily for the Induction phase. Here is my question. If I am to consume 3 cups of vegetables in the form of salad greens or the listed vegetables then that doesn't add up to 20 grams. So the meat is hardly any grams and the cheese would be only 4 grams so where do I get the other grams of carbs if the books emphasizes that you should not have other than what is listed. Am I missing something? I am now on my 4th day and feel surely that I am doing something wrong. Help!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-13-11, 09:57

Plan: LC
Stats: 157/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 9%

Here is a link which you may find helpful:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=236482
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-13-11, 10:30

BF:
Progress:

Thanks LizzyLC for responding. I did read that link. Let me see if I got this straight. The bulk of the carbs must come from the meat if I can only have 3 cups of veggies? The book states that the bulk should come from the veggies. How do I eat 16 grams of carbs from veggies (minus 4 from cheese)? Meat has virtually no carbs. I am having a problem comprehending this. What is wrong with me?
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-13-11, 10:35

Plan: Cambridge diet
Stats: 275/220/155 Female 158cm
BF:
Progress: 46%

if you don't eat them i don't think it's a problem - you don't need to eat ALL your carbs each day. . . . i think :?
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-13-11, 11:03

Plan: my own
Stats: 285/247/199 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 44%

There are trace amounts of carbs in many things, artificial sweetners, cheese, sauces, meats, drinks, salad dressing, veggies, etc. Do not worry out it, or best yet post up what you have been eating and what you have listed as the carbs so we can better help.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-13-11, 12:19

BF:
Progress:

Ok so yesterday I ate 2 eggs omelet with a few TBS shredded mozz cheese and half cup of brocolli and few slices of ham. Lunch was a can of tuna with 2 Tbs mayo on a bed of arugala (one cup) and dinner was a piece of salmon with one cup of sliced fennel. That is about typical of how I have been eating for 3 days. I did make some scallops wrapped in bacon and have been snacking on those too.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-13-11, 15:15

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

I copied and pasted this from my journal:

Quote:
If you follow Induction as written in DANDRE and only eat the 3 cups loosely packed salad veggies as he refers to throughout the book you will only be getting approximately 10-12 carbs per day. Following is an example of one of my typical induction menus for a day:

2 eggs = 1 carb
1 oz cheese = 1 carb at most
2 oz. bacon = 0 carbs
3 oz meat = 0 carbs
1 1/2 cup salad from salad veggie list ONLY = no more than 2 carbs
10 olives = 1 carb
1 oz cheese = 1 carb at most
3-6 oz meat = 0 carbs
1 1/2 c. salad from salad veggie list ONLY = no more than 2 carbs
10 olives = 1 carb
1/2 cup unsweetened (or sf syrup sweetened) cream = 2 carbs

Total carb count = 11 carbs

After 2 weeks of induction eating only 3 cups loosely packed salad I began adding a cup of veggies from the 'other lc veggies list.' The highest carb item on that list is squash coming in at 5.2 carbs per cup. The same week I added lc milk and yogurt. These have 2 and 3 carbs respectively. So on my first week of OWL I was still JUST BARELY getting to 20 carbs per day.

You aren't doing anything wrong and you are getting it, lowcalmal. Even if you're eating some of the higher carb veggies, you might be getting a few more than that, but still likely not getting 20.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-13-11, 18:22

Plan: I eat all of the eggs. :)
Stats: 600/400/160 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 45%

What I found useful when I first started Atkins was to get a calorie/carb counting book and I used that to help get my daily 20 grams of carbs a day.

I recommend calorieking.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-15-11, 09:31

BF:
Progress:

Thanks Freckles. Your sample menu was really helpful. I am realizing that I must log everythink I eat and really count the carbs. They do add up but not necessarily to 20 per day. I think I am eating too much protein which adds up to too many calories because I have not lost any weight yet. I will hang in there but am wondering why I have not seen any weight loss yet. I don't want to get discouraged.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-15-11, 10:16
Think, then Eat.

Plan: LC / L-FODMAP / L-IgG
Stats: 276.4/231.7/199 Male 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 58%

I'm not going to tell you what you should do as different people respond differently to the diet, but I'm a bit concerned about your thought process.

Your ID is LowCalMal and you talk about not wanting to eat too much so you don't lose any weight. I think that's the wrong approach to the LC WOE. There is nothing wrong with maintaining High Calories, in fact, many people here lose better with calories above 1,500 than they do with low calories. I'm not sure it is possible to eat too much protein unless you are eating 3 pounds of it a day.

Many people try to combine Low Carb with Low Calorie and then don't lose weight. If you are Low Carb and Low Calorie, you body isn't getting the nutrition it needs and will hang onto everything it has and will not lose the weight.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-15-11, 10:59

BF:
Progress:

lowcalmal has been my nickname by girlfriends for years - back in the day when no one ever heard of low carb dieting. I am not concerned at all about consuming the required fats whether it be from meat, or butter/olive oil, or mayo. I do not look at this diet from a low fat perspective. I do remember Atkins mentioning that in the end too much calorie consumption by way of protein can hinder the weight loss. In other words, you can't eat all you want of meat. I think my portions may be too large.