Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Aug-14-04, 16:15

Plan: researching
Stats: 240/240/160 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default How does this principle apply to non-diabetics?

I am a non-diabetic who has been told by my doctors to watch both carbs and protein. I heard that schwarzbein has something for vegetarians, too.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Aug-15-04, 07:48

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 172/157/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLD65
I am a non-diabetic who has been told by my doctors to watch both carbs and protein. I heard that schwarzbein has something for vegetarians, too.

Hi KLD65,

Yes, Schwarzbein does address the vegetarian approach in her first book and she also has a cookbook for vegetarians. Her major concern with vegetarian diets is that people generally don't watch what they eat closely enough and tend to go over board with the pasta, rice, bread, starchy stuff and don't get enough protein and fat. I definitely encourage you to check out her books, the first one is easier to absorb. You can check them out at most libraries or order online at Amazon.com.

I've only been on SP for one week and I already notice a difference in my energy level and sense of well being. I know I'm eating healthy and taking care of my body and that my weight will start to reflect that soon. Patience is the key word with Schwarzbein. It takes a long time to put on alot of weight so we can't expect it to fall off of us in two weeks (especially if we want to remain healthy and limit damage to the body).

Good luck!
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Aug-15-04, 18:27

Plan: researching
Stats: 240/240/160 Female 68 inches
BF:

It sounds like lc/veg is perfect for her system. I'm just not sure which way to go with it. It looked like there were a lot of different directions to go. I'll try to get more information at my library. Thanks
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Oct-07-04, 00:18

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 191/189/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Oh, dear, yes!
Progress: 5%

Thank you for such an excellent summary of the Schwarzbein plans -- it helped me to get started before I finished reading the books! I've figured out that I'm Insulin-Sensitive/ Burned-out Adrenal Glands, and I'm following Book 2's plan for that. I'm eager to see how it works for my CFS (newly diagnosed). I can say that these are the best blood sugar readings I've had since diagnosed with hypoglycemia 2 years ago.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Feb-11-05, 07:22

Plan: The Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 252/158/158 Female 5.7
BF:30.2%
Progress: 100%
Default Excellent Information on SP

Thank your for the excellent post on The Schwarzbein Principle. I read the first book over 3 years when my 77-year-old aunt suggested it to me. She had been complaining to her trainer of not feeling well, tired, no energy or “libido” (ok, maybe too much information there Auntie!) and her trainer suggested that this book could give her some insight on what we eat and how it affects our body. As with most of us, we had never taught these things and many of us paid the price with a life of obesity. The fact she is more moderate appealed to my personality and find her book and plan relatively easy to understand and am now well into 3 years of following (mostly) her way of approaching life and food.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Feb-11-05, 07:26

Plan: The Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 252/158/158 Female 5.7
BF:30.2%
Progress: 100%
Default What is the Schwartzbein Principle

Message was sent twice, sorry, new to this process!

Last edited by 3yrproject : Fri, Feb-11-05 at 07:29. Reason: Sent twice by Mistake
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-05, 15:42
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 152.5/149/136 Female 164 cm
BF:
Progress: 21%
Question I think I am sensitive, but am not sure - need help to clarify

Hi,

I live in Germany and have not even heared of your method. But one thing startled me reading this thread: the insulin sensitivity and resistance bit.

I was diagnosed with this "rare" condition (my doc said it is a rare one") where my blood sugar levels go right down after eating but recover within a few hours. Also, my blood sugar level is quite low anyway and I tend to get headaches at certain times of the day.... I also gain weight very quickly, but loosing it takes forever. My sister and my mom were diagnosed with the same condition, and the symptons I discribed above were also experienced by mom grandmom and her familiy.

I have started now with what is called over here the LOGI way of life (Low Glycemic Index), which is based on the Glycemic Load.

Could you just tell me if the symptoms/condition I just described means that I am insuline sensitive and if living according to the Glycamic Load is a sensible thing.

Thanks Viv
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Sep-23-05, 12:02

Plan: LC
Stats: 157/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 9%

3yrproject - Wow I'm impressed with your numbers - WTG.
You've made me a believer. I'm going to dig her book back out
and look it over again. Do you include snacks?
LizzyLC
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Feb-27-06, 01:55
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein!!
Stats: -/-/- Female 162 cm
BF:unknown
Progress: 1600%
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenLady
I'm eager to see how it works for my CFS (newly diagnosed). I can say that these are the best blood sugar readings I've had since diagnosed with hypoglycemia 2 years ago.

Hello! I have CFS too, tentatively diagnosed last year - glad to know there are others in the same-ish boat!

Congrats on the blood sugar levels!!!
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-07, 10:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/180/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default Rx-All chronic diseases benefit from Atkins diet-Read it! from my very special M.D.

[SIZE=7][COLOR=Magenta][FONT=Arial Black]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcollier
Why did I write the Schwarzbein Principle II (SPII)?

In my first book, The Schwarzbein Principle, I wanted to get the message out that eating real food including healthy fats was essential for health. I did this mostly by describing what happens to a hormone called insulin. I explained that insulin levels would go too high if you ate too many carbohydrates at a given moment. And that chronic high levels of insulin could lead to insulin resistance, a syndrome associated with increased heart attacks, strokes, type II diabetes and cancer etc. Many people who read the book came off feeling that insulin was something to get rid of or that they already were insulin resistant when they were not and therefore went too low on their carbohydrate intake.

I wrote The SP II in part to explain how damaging it is to eat too few carbohydrates as well as too many! I wanted to introduce the other side to the insulin story, the adrenal glands and to emphasize that balance is key. I further wanted to expand on my 5-step program of healthy nutrition, stress management, tapering off toxic chemicals, cross-training exercises and hormone replacement therapy if needed.

I included my own story because I wanted to let people know that I have had to go through a lengthy transition process of my own. A lot of my patients when they see me and how thin and healthy and fit I am do not believe me when I tell them that I was once where they are now. I thought if I wrote it out and described what happened to me in detail, I could help them go through their own transition. And for those reading the book who would never be my patients I felt they needed to understand why this area of medicine is something that I focused on because I wanted to make every one else’s transition easier than mine.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-07, 12:36

Plan: Whole Foods Since 2/02
Stats: 360.5/174.5/200 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%

And your point is?
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Aug-29-07, 11:51

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 165/123/125 Female 65 inches
BF:21.8%
Progress: 105%

I was wondering the same thing.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-08, 05:52

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 198/198/148 Female 67.2 in
BF:

I bought the first book around Christmas time (2007) and started out doing that. Then I got on the low carb forums and read about how many people were doing much more restrictive low carb diets such as Atkins so I started leaning more towards that way. I find myself having more cravings this way though, so I think the Schwarzbein Principle way is a much more balance way of eating and way of life, one that you can actually stick to and not even feel like you're dieting or being deprived. I'm a registered nurse and believe the SP diet is a very rounded out and healthy diet. I'm very glad to find this particular support group because when you read the other groups forums you feel like a cheat or failure because going totally no carb/very low carb for me just isn't realistic or even desirable.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-10, 05:19

Plan: Avoid PUFA, sugar & bread
Stats: 240/210/150 Female 156cm
BF:
Progress: 33%

I have finished reading Schwarzbein I this morning.

Sadly enough, I do NOT feel convinced.
I am doing Atkins at the moment and feel very well and am losing weight nicely.

At one stage in Atkins diet you also get to 60 carbs daily. So, I do not truly see much difference in both diets, with the exception that Schwarzbein adds a few things which seem self-evident to me anyway (I am referring to the stress management, the stimulants, the exercise and the - if necessary - hormone replacement).

It's a bit of a shame that I have spent rather a lot of money on the 4 books. Well, I suppose at least the cook book is not useless. There are some nice recipes in it that I can apply to Atkins diet also.
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Apr-15-11, 15:06

Plan: Insulin Resistance Diet
Stats: 152/140/135 Female 163cm
BF:
Progress: 71%

Thank you wcollier - I know this was posted a long time ago, but the information is enlightening. Many questions have now been explained. I appreciate you sharing this!