Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-11, 15:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 122/120/109 Female 63 inches tall
BF:24.6%
Progress: 31%
Default "already a normal weight"

I received an email from this website. It mentioned I was "already a normal weight" and that if I do Atkins it will work very slow/gradual for me..

3 days ago I weighed in at 122 lbs on a doctors scale. I am 5'2 and now this same scale says I weigh 118 lbs. This may sound proportionate for my height, but have a look yourselves:

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/...uce/Sitting.jpg
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/...ce/SAM_0025.jpg

Also, could this be water weight, or is it real fat?

I have small legs, small hips, and a big ol' flabby gut to go along with this small frame...All of my fat is in my midsection. So in other words I am not overweight, I am over fat.

Anyone could agree there is much fat on my mid section from looking at these... And at 21 years old, it is unwanted.

So should I be discouraged from Atkins? I'm doing so well and not craving anything..

Anyone who is about my height and size and lost all this, please give feedback. =)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-11, 16:32

Plan: LC
Stats: 157/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 9%

Don't be discouraged.

You say you are doing well on Atkins and not having cravings. That's is excellent!

It may be a gradual journey but you are making progress.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-11, 18:29
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

There is an article on this website that says when you get to "goal" your fat keeps redistributing. For some people, I guess like you you just have to keep doing Atkins and eventually since you hold you weight in your stomach this will be the last place the weight will leave you.

How Fat Moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihnig
I read in an old book, "The Woman Doctor's Diet for Women"

quote: "However, the subcutaneous fat in a female is genetically programed (ice cream cone shaped and pear shaped) to be of a certain thickness, which means that if you lose too much from one area, your body will take fat from another available area.

This is called redistribution; the process of moving the fat is called migration. I like to tell my patients that you lose from the head down, but redistribute from the feet up.

You can never tell immediately after stopping a diet ( though we on Atkins plan on never stopping) what the final form of your body will be, because this migration of fat takes about six weeks longer.

You can't see the migration and redistribution while you are still losing steadily, because layer after layer of fat is being eliminated too quickly for the process to be discernible. You will notice it only after you have slowed down or stopped losing altogether. Your face, arms, neck, and breasts usually appear to get thinner first, thinner than your lower extremities because up above there is less fat to lose.

Then you will see your waist, hips, and stomach, and finally your legs decrease in size (I got everything else, but my stomach and hips are the ones holding out on me.). Women who are 10 pounds away from their ideal weight will come into my office demanding to know, "When will I lose these?" (pointing to their chubby legs).

"Last", I reply. And not just last, but last of all. If you get your weight down and hold it down for a few months, you will see an interesting change in your figure begin to take place up to six weeks after you've stopped dieting (again it's a WOL not a diet for weight loss alone): those unsightly legs will get thinner and your face will become rounder. But you must tolerate a thin drawn face while you are achieving a total slim look. You face will take on a proper amount of subcutaneous fat after you've finished losing.

Many women let their faces be their guide when they diet, but you can see from what I have told you that that is not a good indicator. However, in the older female it might be well to stop short of pencil slimness, in order to preserve some additional subcutaneous fat in her face to prevent wrinkles."

There it is (with my asides )

Elihnig

So the lesson is keep doing what you are doing and believe that your "problem spot" will eventually disappear.

"Patience, grasshopper,"
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-11, 19:56

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

New book: Wheat Belly explains what foods pile weight on your midsection.

The exact foods you ditch on low carb.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-11, 22:00

Stats: 254/215/150 Female 64"
BF:C198/T126/H53/L120
Progress: 38%

Eating Low Carb is a healthy approach whether you are trying to lose or not. Youre starting out well. If you feel good doing it, then continue! It very well may be youre not don growing, and this is your leftover "baby fat."

Consider some ab work-tone it up!

And dont feel bad-I dont think I EVER looked that good in a bikini top.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-11, 22:13
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

There isn't anything wrong with losing weight slowly, especially when you're close to your goal. Dr. Atkins even wrote in his books that that would happen, saying not to let it discourage you. Low-carb is a healthy lifestyle, no matter what your weight might be. Hang in there!

ETA: Improving your posture could add some "length" to the appearance of your torso, eliminating some of the bulgey look. Just something for you to consider.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-11, 23:40

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraith
I received an email from this website. It mentioned I was "already a normal weight" and that if I do Atkins it will work very slow/gradual for me..

3 days ago I weighed in at 122 lbs on a doctors scale. I am 5'2 and now this same scale says I weigh 118 lbs. This may sound proportionate for my height, but have a look yourselves:

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/...uce/Sitting.jpg
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/...ce/SAM_0025.jpg

Also, could this be water weight, or is it real fat?

I have small legs, small hips, and a big ol' flabby gut to go along with this small frame...All of my fat is in my midsection. So in other words I am not overweight, I am over fat.

Anyone could agree there is much fat on my mid section from looking at these... And at 21 years old, it is unwanted.

So should I be discouraged from Atkins? I'm doing so well and not craving anything..

Anyone who is about my height and size and lost all this, please give feedback. =)

I'm at a loss! You are 5'2 and 120!!! That seems awesome to me. I'm 5'3 and 150. My belly and thighs look very similar to yours - except I have ugly stretch marks everywhere since I've had 3 children.

My plan is to stick with it and I encourage you to do the same.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-07-11, 06:19
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

I'd be interested to see a picture of you standing up, as the midsection will push out more when sitting down.

Also you need to remember that some naturally have a rounded tummy that is difficult to lose. when I was very slim, I had chunky thighs, huge backside and a 24 inch waist - though my tummy was flat, I would have loved to have slim legs and a smaller bottom - sometimes we can't fight our body shape without getting unhealthily thin.

Personally, I think that Atkins might not be right for you, and you might be better trying Rob Wolf's 'Paleo Solution' or Mark Sissons 'Primal Blueprint'. These plans put emphasis on eating real foods and on the right exercises for toning and defining. Have a look at their websites.

Lee
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-07-11, 10:35

Plan: Atkins Pre-Maintenance
Stats: 215/134.8/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Looks to me like you should consider exercise as a mean to tighten up what you have, in addition to proper diet.