Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-18-15, 17:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/242/160 Male 69 inches (5'9")
BF:
Progress:
Default Heyroo!

I am getting on board (I tried Atkins in 1997, 40 pounds lost) but the concepts and science didn't make sense to me. So I stayed in Inductions for months. I was young, and I wanted to make myself into a good looking guy. However, there were other things that took precedence. Getting married, and having kids, and then divorcing.)

I lost 100 pounds back in 2003-2004. It was on a low fat diet. As my stomach shrank, I grew accustomed to biting everyone's (including my wife at the time) heads off.

But I didn't internalize it. I went from 145 back to 264, and have stayed there except for 20 pounds unintentional loss.

Now, here I am. 242 and floundering.

I have stage 1 diabetic neuropathy, but my feet have started to hurt, so I must be progressing diabetic wise. I feel so apathetic about it. I don't know where to turn.

I need to lose the weight, and put my diabetes in it's place. I will always be on meds for my diabetes. I am type II. I need to get things straightened out, or I going to start losing things (appendages)

Any help would be appreciated. I use myFitnessPal for tracking my food, since it's easier than the myPLAN interface. Anyone that wants to review my diet (from the 25th on) can view it here

I look forward to hearing from you all! Talk soon!

-Jason
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-18-15, 18:02

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket
I need to lose the weight, and put my diabetes in it's place. I will always be on meds for my diabetes. I am type II. I need to get things straightened out, or I going to start losing things (appendages)

Welcome Jason! I'm also T2 with some neuropathy in both feet & hands. It was the fear of losing body parts & eyesight that really got me serious about taking care of my diabetes.

Have you read anything by Dr. Bernstein? If not, I recommend that you read at least one of his books. He'll give you hope. Also, under Low Carb Health & Technical Forums you'll find the Dr. Bernstein & Diabetes forum. Lots of info there.

Getting off meds may be a possibility for you. I got discouraged early on because I read so many "testimonials" where people said they went lchf & were off meds & even insulin within just a few weeks. It's taken me much longer than that, but I did get off the meds & my BG is continuing to get lower. I'm like a turtle - the improvement is slow but steady.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-18-15, 18:17

Plan: <30 Net Carbs
Stats: 270/210/130 Female 5'4"
BF:51/45/ ???
Progress: 43%

Welcome!

I use MFP for planning & tracking, and find it helpful. Good luck on your journey!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-18-15, 18:54

BF:
Progress:

I just do not understand why I am so apathetic to the possible loss.

It's a mind thing, it seems. I am on schizophrenic meds, so that may account for it. Those are not helping me weight wise. I fall apart without them though.

So sorry to hear about your neuropathy, Bonnie. I haven't read anything by Bernstein. I will check out the forum. Thank you.

Thank you for the welcome, Smcca4.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-18-15, 19:18
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:

Welcome! Sorry about the apathy. Making dietary changes is hard, but losing your body parts is even harder. I know when I first contemplated going gluten-free, I had a real feeling of loss.

Sometimes we just have to act, even if our emotions aren't ebullient about acting. That's when we tell the parts of our brain in charge of higher functioning, decision making, and rational thought that we're going with them. Gotta do it even if the lizard brain isn't running around in circles with joy.

Sometimes just the act can eventually bring the enthusiasm.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-18-15, 20:01

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Sometimes just the act can eventually bring the enthusiasm.

Especially since going low carb can clear away the brain fog.

Jason - I have no clue if lchf helps schizophrenia, but it has helped me & many others with depression & anxiety. So perhaps you'll get some relief.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-18-15, 20:15

BF:
Progress:

I am on an agonizing amount of meds.

So I brought up low carb to my mom, and instantly she said no.

I am 38. I should be able to manage my own money, but she is the final decision maker.

I'm about of the mind to go on without her.

I've got to do this! I hardly eat, because of my depression too. Sometimes I have to be reminded to eat.

I need something to lighten my day besides school.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-19-15, 04:38

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome bucket,
You have been through a lot and are suffering now, but we want to help you. It would of course be good to also have support at home and at your healthcare provider. There are many doctors now who support the view that Diabetes can be Reversed and many more doctors trained how to use a Low Carb diet.
Here is a brilliant TedTalk from Dr. Hallberg at Indiana Univ. Watch this and share with your family if you like it...informative, uplifting and has simple LC rules.

http://youtu.be/da1vvigy5tQ

There is a separate Diabetes sub-forum here : http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45
If you look back through threads on it there are many other good short videos to explain LC diets for diabetes. The page on www.DietDoctor.com is excellent, there is a brand new diabetes educator website filled with information, including a free ebook specific for diabetes, a caution to read if going LC and you don't have a doctor/educator to assist, etc. Much good info for you here to give you hope and support!
http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45
If you have any questions about a previous thread, ask and it will bump up to the top and the many wonderful people on that forum will help. Hope to see you around!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-23-15, 19:47

BF:
Progress:
Default I got the go ahead...

I am almost done reading Dr. Atkins's book, and have went to the store and stocked up for Induction Week 1. Didn't over buy. It's good. I just need to get steaks from another store, since I don't trust Walmart meat.

Tomorrow is day 1! Woohoo!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-24-15, 06:13
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Welcome, Jason to the best LC WOE site on the planet! Which version of Atkin are you doing?

Wishing you much success on your journey to improved physical and mental health!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, May-24-15, 16:08

Plan: Composite/Atkins 1972
Stats: 220/196/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 60%

Welcome, Jason. I can only underscore what others have said. I have personally observed that it is possible for a type II to get off diabetes meds through use of a low carb diet. In this case, it was a more relaxed program, counting "bread units" as in "Life Without Bread." But it worked. Perhaps your first goal might be getting your blood sugars down rather than focusing on weight. If you have a glucometer, you would probably see results quickly when you reduce your carbs. That can be encouraging.

Best of luck to you.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-25-15, 18:00

BF:
Progress:

My sugar dropped from 140 or so, to 88. 140's were par for the course, and my body went into revolt looking for carbs, but I gave it a salad instead. 2 boiled eggs, 2 1/2 cups of romaine lettuce, 1/8 cup cheese, 2 cups of mushrooms, and 4 tbsp of blue cheese dressing (4 carbs total for the dressing).

My body *will* conform, and make use of what it is given.

The 60 point drop caused me to have the shakes, but I am OK.

I will retest in 2 hours.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, May-25-15, 18:31

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Hey, wow, what a drop. You might look into research that's being done on diet and schizophrenia, too. Your health issues may be more related than you think. It's hard to lose on certain meds, but it sounds like you have a good plan.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, May-25-15, 22:02

BF:
Progress:
Default Blood sugar...

Blood sugar was 92... two hours after dinner, which was a wonderful salad.

Going to have some avocado with it tomorrow!

Today has been a total success! w00t!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, May-26-15, 03:32

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Congratulations, Bucket.
In my post #8, I mentioned a warning. Please read this now!
It depends on the type of diabetes medications you are taking, but good changes with LC can happen very quickly, and you have to be cautious about BG going too low. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=452693 Or
http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2013/...r-hypoglycemia/