Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-15, 12:16

Plan: 6WBMO/Paleo
Stats: 196.7/175.6/130 Male 5'6
BF:
Progress: 32%
Talking New Again!

Hi, everyone reading this post. I did the Atkins about 20 or so years ago and lost about 30 lbs. I was ecstatic, but treated it like a diet and gained it all back. I then opted to do severe low fat, which took my weight down even further, but who can live without fats, dairy, alcohol? I know I couldn't and gained all the weight back and little extra.

I'd had enough when I went to culinary school and didn't want to eat and become out of control, so I fell for the scam sprinkles. It didn't work and I am where I am now; overweight and what I feel is unattractive.

Surfing the internet, I discovered a new program called, "Eat Fat, Get Thin", and I've been on that plan for about 2 1/2 weeks, but wasn't losing weight. Why or why, you ask aren't you losing weight on a low carb plan? It was because I was consuming too many calories!

I am 59 and menopausal. It was easy to lose weight 20 years ago, but I have to be a bit stricter with my calorie consumption and portion control now if I plan on having the healthy body I truly want. Yesterday, after much research and planning, I revamped my menus and had a wonderful experience this morning: I lost 2 lbs.!!!! This was overnight!

I'm stoked and will continue on this plan of 1,000 per day until I reach my goal. I'm not saying that this caloric intake will be permanent. I may have to tweak it now and again, but I think it will work.

On my way to getting my sexy back.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-15, 12:48

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome again, Linda,
Apologies...on your other thread about gaining weight I thought you were on "Eat Fat, Lose Fat" by Dr Enig, but you are/were on the Barry Groves plan? I confused the similar names, but as I remember it, his plan too has more carbs and calories. There are more tips other members suggested on that thread to consider as well.

Either way, we all make adjustments as we go along to find the version of low carb that is best for our health. With most LC plans, the mantra is You Don't have to count calories, but calories do count. Keeping to 1000 sounds a bit draconian, but see how you do. All the best,

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Jan-24-15 at 13:06.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-15, 14:16

BF:

Yes, I ordered the book a month ago, but it hasn't arrived yet. Anyway, yes, it's Dr. Barry Groves and you are correct that his plan allows about 60g carbs and that's way too many for me. I found that after 2 1/2 weeks, I did need to watch my caloric intake and I have started a journal (hope I'm not repeating myself).

I failed the first time on low carb because I treated it like a diet, not a lifestyle. Well, that's changed.

Thanks for the welcome. I'm glad I finally came to my senses.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-15, 04:08

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

In that "too many books" list, did you read Why We Get Fat?
I think knowing the history of the failed low fat advice and what to do now to reverse weight gain was invaluable for me to make this a lifestyle. I read Good Calories, Bad Calories, Taubes first book but this book is more readable and has the 20g clinic diet I followed to lose. You don't have to count calories, or even carbs, as anything with carbs or the added fats has a limit. 3 cups of veg, 2T of cream, etc.
Here's a new Gary Taubes lecture based on Why We Get Fat: http://youtu.be/qEuIlQONcHw
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-15, 12:16

BF:

Jey100, I just changed eating plans to Atkins. Barry Groves program is for someone with an faster metabolism than mine. I doing very well since reducing my caloric intake. I'm feeling better, too. No stuffed feeling or indigestion.

I'm so glad I have support from this site. Thanks for the youtube link. I'll be watching this afternoon.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-15, 14:16
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 204/204/130 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I'm a "returner" as well. I lost 60 lbs on Atkins about 10 years ago, maintained for a good two years and then did as you did. I didn't do the maintenance phase transition the way that I should have. But Atkins is easy to follow, easy to count carbs. I never once counted calories; just kept on trucking and the weight peeled away...

Welcome back!! I'm excited to see our changes!!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-15, 06:34

BF:

Welcome, LuxeGirl, glad you made the decision to come back. We know better now.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-15, 16:06
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 204/204/130 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindalove
Welcome, LuxeGirl, glad you made the decision to come back. We know better now.

haha... yes, we do!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-15, 09:51

BF:

I'm down a total of 3 lbs. since last week's revamp! Not only that, I've lost a lot of inches, too.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-15, 09:50

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 157/157/126 Female 5'2'
BF:
Progress:

Great job, Linda. I am back here again myself and I realize, like you, this is the only plan that is satisfying and manageable. And the weight drops off. I am giving all my sugary and carb foods away to friends' fridges today. Oh happy day!! LOL No more temptations in the house. Have a great day and all the best
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-15, 09:39

BF:

Welcome, Petitemoi. Please stay awhile. It's always good to have support in these threads. Good luck on your journey.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-15, 15:36

BF:
Lightbulb I'm Getting It Right This Time

I Almost (please remember that I said, "I almost") hate to say it, but YOU ALL WERE RIGHT ABOUT THE WINE STALLING ME!!! I shout from the highest hill, even told the golden daffodil.

Please don't ask me what I was thinking, because Lord only knows. It wasn't good, that's for sure. Even though I love wine, I also love me and am taking steps to be the best of me that I can and if that means postponing a glass of wine every night for a while (please also note I said "postponing"), then that's the best.

Hopefully, I will have good news to report this coming Saturday, as I think the scale and my jeans will have a favorable reading.

Last edited by lindalove : Wed, Feb-04-15 at 15:43. Reason: I'm an editing Nut!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-15, 16:30

BF:

I am officially putting a hold on wine. At least until I start seeing some significant losses on the scale.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-15, 14:58

BF:

I did it! or shall I say "didn't" do it. I am officially abstaining from my daily wine, until I reach my first goal weight and that's going to be a while.

I have a sodastream that I make sparkling water with and I also have black tea, herb teas, etc. It's not as big a deal as I thought it would be. My weight is most important than a glass of wine and that wine sits pretty high on my pedestal.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-15, 15:02

BF:

Also, I'm getting more and more excited about Saturday's weigh-in. Gotta see if the wine abstinence is working. I sure hope so. I thought I needed to resume my workouts, but forced workouts never work out for me in the long run. You shouldn't force yourself to do anything, even if you have very important tasks to do. You can always figure out another method of execution.

I was reading a woman's blog on the Atkins board and she said she didn't work for the first 4 months and lost 40 lbs. Wow! It motivates you when you see and feel progress. Heck yeah, I'll work out because I'll see results a lot quicker and besides, working out doesn't make you lose weight; your diet does in combination or diet alone does just fine.