Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-02, 11:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/223/175
BF:
Progress: 20%
Angry Ill try, but .....

This diet is gonna be mucho hard for me. While I don't care for sweets, I love sandwiches (bread) ... pasta.. potatoes.. beer... salty snacks (although I have been looking for a good excuse to eat more pork rinds, so that might be a blessing) Honestly tho, most of my favorite foods will be wiped out due to this diet.

However, I have always thought that those non-fat diets just caused me to consume more fruit, grain and vegetable fats and sugars than if I had just simply ate a bratwurst in the first place.

I like bread tho... the bakery over here makes this Sauerkraut Rye that is to die for (literally, I guess.. as I can put away a loaf of those in no time).

In the two weeks I have been trying this style of consumption, I DO feel better. I think thats the main thing.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-02, 11:30
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hello mattoman01,

I think I can speak for everyone here when I say all of our favourite foods were wiped out when we started this. Now, we have new favourite foods!

Give yourself the best opportunity you can and read the new edition of Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution or Protein Power. If you don't it, will be like going on a road trip without a map.

Changing your eating habits to acheive new highs in health in wellness is something you don't "try" if you want to be successful. You have to do research - in the form of reading a book - to understand the the whys and hows. Then, a commitment on your part is required.

You won't regret it, believe me!

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-02, 11:31

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default welcome

I hear the same comment from a lot of newbies, they arent sure if they will be able to give up something like bread in the long run. Go with the fact U feel better. It takes awhile for the body to adjust and the cravings subside. Trust me I was a HUGE carb addict and coffee drinker and now I feel so much better for not having them in my system. If U have a problem with cravings try adding a chromium supplement. And drink lots of water it flushes out the system faster. Come here to read and post lots and U will see so many that are in the same boat as U. Good luck.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-02, 12:54

BF:
Default thanks

toast, bagels, english muffins, pita, taco shells.... what replaces these things? linguine and clams or chicken chow mein become glorified soup without the pasta and rice... its not so much a craving as it is a preference. I know you dont completely cut carbs out, but I guess I'll be returning that fancy bread maker I got for a gift. lol ! ! !

Ill have to go to the library and see if his book is there..

I shall endeavor to be open minded.

your wisdom is appreciated

thanks again

Last edited by mattoman01 : Fri, Jan-11-02 at 13:01.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-02, 13:34

BF:

ya know, there are a lot of great LC recipes out there. U can make bread, muffins and pitas from them. Start by researching. Then from there decide if this is the way U want to go. Oh by the way.....I was THE pasta queen. I would scarf down 2 huge plates in one sitting...I dont miss it now....and the thing is...once U reach the weight U want...U can go back to occassionally having almost anything U want.....LOL including beer!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-02, 13:49

BF:

Heck, I was getting bored with most of my recipes anyway.

This might endow me with a whole new culinary repetoire!

Perhaps I'm not losing so much as I may gain....

Ill hold on to my linguine and clams recipe just in case tho.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-02, 15:14

Plan: Careful Low Carb Plan
Stats: 335/295/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Wink I use salad as my pasta

Mattoman01,
I use salads or different vegies like pasta. If I make spaghetti for the kids--I just put my portion of the meat and spaghetti sauce aside, before I add the pasta. Then I make a yummy salad or a plateful of green beans and pour the meat and sauce on top. It's strange, but it works.

You just have to look at the bright side. What diet would allow you Lasagna? I make a No Noodle lasagna with zucchini strips instead of noodles. Or fried chicken, without the breading, of course. I love the fact that I can eat olives, real mayonaise, butter, real salad dressing, cream cheese...Cheese for that matter. All these things you have to steer away from on low fat diets. But not with low carb eating. Be sure and check out the books. Reading made me a believer. It made so much sense when you see it in print.

Hope you give it a good try. You won't be disappointed! Victoria
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-02, 01:45

Plan: atkins-ish
Stats: 398/391/299 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 7%
Wink Wait! Don't give up on the idea of bread!

Hey!
welcome to the club! I'm new as well, but not to LC. Just wanted to mention that I have found a low carb bread in my local health food store that is delicious! It takes just like good wheat bread. It's called "Alvarado St California style low carb protein bread". It has increased my menu options dramatically! I can now have sandwiches, hamburgers, french toast, hot link sandwiches, cinnamon toast, toast and eggs...it's wonderful!

Also, like the others have said, I really don't miss a lot of the stuff I used to eat. The only thing I DO miss is sourdough bread. But at the rate they're going I'm sure there is or will be soon a tasty LC version on the market!

Peace and Balance,
Tesia

P.S.
How are you all getting your picture over in the corner like that? that's pretty cool.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-02, 03:04
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
How are you all getting your picture over in the corner like that? that's pretty cool.

All the details, and more, are in the FAQ!

Karen
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-02, 10:29

Stats: 206.0/196.5/140
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Missing things....

Hi everyone..

I thought I would miss a ton of stuff..Kettlecorn was a biggie for me..I didnt think I could ever give that up..or my favorite club sandwhich at ClaimJumper's restaurant (ever heard of this one Karen, I wondered if you had since you are just in Vancouver..)

What I have found, is that I have developed a taste for foods that I never would have thought I would have liked..its like I am learning to eat all over again for the first time..and I love it...

Good luck Matt..you can do it..

Laura
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-02, 07:44

BF:

well, now I actually have something to contribute!

I was doing a search for haunted places in my area and found a website for a local bar/diner which not only has a history of paranormal activity, but interestingly enough, has recommendations for LC eating at their establishment.

http://www.fatseagull.com/protein.html

p.s. I have had that lasagne before, and it is outstanding. Thanx!!!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-02, 08:15

Plan: Careful Low Carb Plan
Stats: 335/295/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Hi Mattoman01,
I looked at the website you posted. I don't live in the area, but was interested in the fact that the restaurant acknowledges the need for low carb dining. I think it's great that they have ideas on how to eat to avoid the carbs. Have you checked them out yet? How are you doing with the low carbing? Hope all is well. Victoria
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-02, 09:28

BF:
Default thanks mattoman

I checked out the website...way cooool! Im in canada and where I live I havent heard of any LC restaurants. In fact I have it in the back of my mind that I should open one up!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-02, 22:05

BF:
Default Kettle corn?

Laura, what is that? is it regional? maybe I shouldnt even be asking since it is LC taboo, but I am quite curious!

actually, Ive been seeing alot of LC stuff everywhere since I became one of YOU.... (books, recipes...articles ...etc)]

this aint a cult, is it?

I am NOT going to recruit loners at the airport.. seriously..
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-02, 23:21

Stats: 206.0/196.5/140
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Kettlecorn

Hi Matt,

Kettle corn is like....sugared popcorn..I had a serious addiction to it...but now I am okay...

Laura