Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-02, 01:02
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
this aint a cult, is it?

I am NOT going to recruit loners at the airport.. seriously..

The best place to find recruits is at McDonalds. Watch for the Super-Sizers. If they look like they don't need to be eating all those fries, approach them.

Karen
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-02, 09:04

Plan: Zone
Stats: 165/163/145
BF:
Progress: 10%
Smile CAD/CALP

Welcome mattoman1!

Just a little plug for the Carbohydrate Addicts way of life.......on their plan you eat LC two meals and then have what you want for the third meal (within one hour), so maybe you could still have your favorite foods. While you're getting books to read you might try those as well as the Atkins and Protein Power. It's the Carbohydrate's Addicts book and their newer one Carbohydrate Addicts Lifespan Program by the Hellers. Whatever lowcarb WOE that looks the best for you should work just fine, but be sure and read the books because there is lots of good info in them. Good luck!

-animaldoc
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-02, 09:34

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default this aint a cult is it??

LOL now that statement had me giggling! I have actually become quite the LC guru and advocate. I have had heated disscussions with various health professionals who dont understand the concept of low-carbing and are blinded to the fact how beneficial this WOL is.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-02, 06:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/223/175
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default success

Its been a little over two weeks but I have lost 5 pounds!! No real cravings for anything so far! Granted, I dont count every carb, but I can see where my diet was self-destructive before. 2-4 pieces of toast for breakfast (always an even number corresponding to the slots in the toaster... why waste energy?) ... a couple of sandwiches for lunch with chips... couple of beers later on... usually some pasta-based dinner... Thats like 50 grams of carbs JUST FOR BREAKFAST!

Oh yea, I tried some of that kettle corn at a party... Good Stuf, but Im not really into sweets anyway.

Thanks to everyone for your encouragement and wisdom!

Last edited by mattoman01 : Tue, Jan-29-02 at 08:34.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-02, 10:23

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

mattoman, love your sense of humour!

Yeah, okay, I'm guilty of the cult thing. I haven't had pamphlets printed up yet, but if someone ASKS me how I've lost four dress sizes or says, "why don't you eat flour any more?" or makes the mistake of using the word "insulin" in even the most innocent of contexts, I'm off and running! I may have even once chased someone down the hallway as they tried to get away from my lecture! hee hee.

The foods we love the most are often those we have food sensitivities/allergies to. As you stay off grains (and I'd advise you to do that rather than hunt down LC breads, when carbs are much better 'spent' on healthy veggies), you may find other symtoms abating, as I did. (dandruff, gas and cravings are 100% gone; other people find joint pain, IBS, and even symptoms of diseases like lupus, MS, and rheumatoid arthritis disappearing in the absence of grains.)
Then one day in the future, if you are like many of us, you'll "slip" and have a regular sandwich or the crust part of a pizza, wake up feeling awful the next day--hungover, slow, low in energy, headachy, grumpy, overwhelmed with cravings--and you'd realize that's how you always felt on grains. It's quite an eye-opening experience!

Great posts--keep it up!
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-02, 10:26
Registered Member

Stats: 262/192/175
BF:
Progress: 80%

i LOVE the Jim Anchower picture....lol

www.theonion.com
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-02, 10:40

BF:

As Jim A. would say... Hola Amigos!

I was reading other posts and someone recommended www.fitday.com ....What a useful site! They have nutritional breakdowns of almost any food, along with pie charts showing where the calories come from in those foods.

As for me, I havent been experiencing any physical ills because of this WOE, or from the occasional cheating.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 12:01

BF:
Default D'oh

Fell off the wagon and drank many beers, ate pizza and popcorn!

Superbowl party...

However, I did score a copy of one of Dr. Atkins' books at the local library, and have renewed my quest with even greater zeal..

Hope you all are doing better than I am!
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 19:21
Registered Member

Stats: 200/197/130
BF:
Progress: 4%
Unhappy

Laura, thanks alot for reminding me of kettle corn, (I reeeaaallly needed that)

Mattoman If you get Really desperate for bread, you can try the yucky egg white recipe in Atkins first book. It's better than nothing.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 10:12

BF:
Default Bread

Thanks, Trifle... but I'm actually doing better than I expected in avoiding bread.

Its just a matter of convenience. Its not as easy to eat a hamburger with a knife and fork from a plate, but It's not like I can't do it.

That sauerkraut rye is callin me tho.. I can hear it... I just dont shop at the store that makes it anymore!!!