Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Aug-20-17, 09:16
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286.8/257.7/190 Female 70 inches  (5'10")
BF:
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
Penelope - There are many different forms of magnesium. Magnesium oxide is the cheapest form and the most common type found. It can also have a very strong laxative effect and is not as well absorbed as other forms. If that is what you are taking and it has that effect on you or does not appear to be helping you can try another form. I take 600 mg a day of magnesium glycinate. Magnesium oxide is a strong laxative for me. There is also magnesium malate, magnesium theonate, magnesium citrate. Assume nothing, research everything.

Jean

Man oh man. I think the bottle i purchased a couple days ago just says "magnesium" and nothing else but I can't be certain. I took one that night and two yesterday (one in morning & one at night) and my cramps weren't as severe. I'll take two again today and see how it goes. I wonder if it will take a few days to make a significant difference.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sun, Aug-20-17, 09:19
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
This is what I was going to say, too. It has nothing to do with being a LCer. Practically everyone is deficient. Water softeners and drinking a lot of bottled water that isn't remineralized - probably another reason.

I take Jamieson brand Mg (and now cal/mag). It has 3 or 4 different forms of Mg. The chelated brands are probably better, but I'm on a budget.

How much water vs salts you need to stay hydrated probably depends a lot on your climate. Where I am, it's humid. Where Mama Sebo is, it might be dry desert. (Is it?) I've worked in both extremes. Hmm. That might be my reading for today, to figure out how we sweat and hydrate differently when sweat doesn't evaporate like it should (high humidity).

Well, thank you, though I'm quite certain it has everything to do with the diet, considering that I did not have this problem prior, and it started within a few days of induction.
  #33   ^
Old Sun, Aug-20-17, 10:32

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by penelope85
Man oh man. I think the bottle i purchased a couple days ago just says "magnesium" and nothing else but I can't be certain. I took one that night and two yesterday (one in morning & one at night) and my cramps weren't as severe. I'll take two again today and see how it goes. I wonder if it will take a few days to make a significant difference.

I believe you'll be fine, but as Jean mentioned, some forms have a laxative effect. You'll know. Just take enough to provide necessary magnesium and cut back should you need to temper the laxative properties.
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Aug-21-17, 10:17
Registered Member

BF:

I've been taking two 400mg tablets of extra strength magnesium per day the last few days and the cramps have definitely improved, and with no ill side effects thus far. Thank goodness!! Thank you all for your advice! Also, down another 2.3lbs this week I wish the weight was coming off a little faster but I will be patient! Or try at least
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Aug-21-17, 10:56

Plan: Keto, IF
Stats: 224/136/124 Female 64 inches
BF:44%/23%/20%
Progress: 88%

Yes, where I am its dry dry dry, same thing in humidity, but the real issue is HEAT and SWEATING, if I don't replace the water then cramps are definitely in the cards for me.
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Aug-21-17, 14:27

Stats: 336/286/199 Female 5'11"
BF:Losing it....
Progress: 36%

Quote:
Originally Posted by penelope85
I've been taking two 400mg tablets of extra strength magnesium per day the last few days and the cramps have definitely improved, and with no ill side effects thus far. Thank goodness!! Thank you all for your advice! Also, down another 2.3lbs this week I wish the weight was coming off a little faster but I will be patient! Or try at least

So happy you have found relief! Stay positive, you are doing so well, I bet you feel a lot better too...
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Aug-22-17, 11:04
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
This is what I was going to say, too. It has nothing to do with being a LCer. Practically everyone is deficient. Water softeners and drinking a lot of bottled water that isn't remineralized - probably another reason.

I take Jamieson brand Mg (and now cal/mag). It has 3 or 4 different forms of Mg. The chelated brands are probably better, but I'm on a budget.

How much water vs salts you need to stay hydrated probably depends a lot on your climate. Where I am, it's humid. Where Mama Sebo is, it might be dry desert. (Is it?) I've worked in both extremes. Hmm. That might be my reading for today, to figure out how we sweat and hydrate differently when sweat doesn't evaporate like it should (high humidity).

Thanks, but considering it began within a few days of the diet and I never had it before, I can't subscribe to the idea that LC has "nothing to do with it." I believe the pros of LC greatly outweigh the cons, but we should try not to live in fantasy land. 😉
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Aug-22-17, 11:32

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I think Kristine was talking about magnesium deficiency being fairly common in the general public, rather than whatever might have led to your leg cramps specifically. The general public being deficient in magnesium, and the situation being sometimes exacerbated with the diuretic effect of a low carb diet, both fit pretty well into the same universe.