Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 08:36

Plan: Atkins diet
Stats: 200/188/125
BF:?
Progress: 16%
Default Newbie

Hi, I am a tota stranger to the whole Atkins plan. I admit to be clueless. I have heard so much of it, and am going to give what I know of it, a whirl. I am so happy to find a support room that doesn't involve me signing a mutil million dollar contract! lol
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 08:42

Default hmmm...

I seem to get lost in all these different forums and the lingo.

Is anyone follwing the book Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution? I haven't bought it yet. I am only on day two of cutting out the carbs. I'm not really sure what's allowed and what's not. Can anyone help me with sme guidelines?
  #48   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 10:10
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 290.5/225/170
BF:
Progress: 54%

tigrlily

Welcome to the forum and to the world of LCing (Low Carbing)

I have been following Atkins woe (way of eating) for five months now. I've lost 54 lbs. so far. You definitely want to get the book and read it all. Lots of things, including acceptable foods, explained in there. Also go to the Atkins Center web site , www.atkinscenter.com. You can get most of the info that's in the book from the web site also. You can set up a journal, lookup foods in there carb counter, etc...

Also, it's a great idea to start a journal on this forum. Go to
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=34155
for instructions on starting a journal. It really helps. And if you need advice on what your doing there are plenty of great folks here that will look at your journal and provide it. You may want to look at the FitDay, www.fitday.com, web site for tracking daily food intake.

Good luck on your new wof eating and new way of life.

Rick
  #49   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 14:09

Default Thank you!

Thank you for those links, Rick! I need all the help I can on how to do this. I LOVE looking at the success stories! WOW. I want that to be me!!!
  #50   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 18:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 231/223/170 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 13%

Hi!
I'm new too. Been on Atkins since 2/8 and have lost 18 pounds, but you're right, sort of doing it results in sort of results. I had the old book and then found the website, but navigating that is time consuming. Buying the newest book was the best purchase. And you need to keep reading because you'll always miss something. I've been using the journal feature on Atkins web site & it does help to keep you focused. Didn't use it for a week, counted in my head, which wasn't a great idea, yet. Still doing Induction.
Great board, the support and info really help.
  #51   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 08:28
Registered Member

BF:

No problem tgrlily.

Like missru said, BUY THE NEW BOOK, and read, read, read and then do a little reading. It's a lot of info to take in and it takes a while to get the new concepts in your head. About 4 weeks into it it became pretty much the new habit though.

Great progress missru Sounds like you're pretty much on track to me. Yeah, I did the same thing a while back. I had read the first book a long time ago and sort of made up my own version. Worked ok but not the same results as following Dr. Atkins advice. This time I read the new book and pretty much followed it to the letter, worked like a champ too. I'm down another lb this morning, it's my weigh in day, for a total of 55 lbs.

BUT, don't get too hung up on the scales folks.
I have had as much as three weeks go by with no loss on the scale. I could always feel my cloths fitting different during these plateaus and then all of a sudden I'd lose several lbs. I wouldn't weigh more than once a week and waiting longer is even better.

Not a bad idea to start on a good multivitamin also. No big deal just a good one-a-day type supplement. And, start a moderate exercise program. Just 20 - 30 min a day. I started by just walking. Doesn't take much and makes a huge difference in the way you feel.

Please go to my journal and read about where I started this adventure from. Pretty bleak! Here's the link.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...1974#post921974

And here's the gym log. Just in case you want to check it out too.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...1998#post921998

Rick
  #52   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 10:49

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 134/132/127
BF:don't wanna know
Progress: 29%
Unhappy

Hello to everyone - I'm brand new, and struggling through Day 3 of the Induction. Eight years ago, I lost 35lbs on The Zone, and have pretty much kept it off. I'm not overweight, at 5'8, 134lbs, but I have a really tiny frame and can pinch quite a few inches just about everywhere (I'm only aiming to lose 5-7 lbs, but trust me when I say that at ten lbs less, I would NOT be too thin). A recent doctor's visit involved a doctor poking my abdomen and declaring it 'very soft.' I exercise very regularly - at least 3x week of 45 mins. cardio - and have been doing so for about 6 years now - but have not been able to lose any fat. Even when I increase my exercise to 5-6 days, and only take in 1400 cals. So, obviously, this strategy was not working. I'd been doing it since Jan. 1 and lost about half a pound.

So anyway, I'd tried induction one time before and gave up at about this same point. But nowadays, there is this wonderful support and advice, and I'm willing to give it a real college try (despite the slight dizziness, which I'm told is absolutely normal). I'm at work right now, and found out that the health food store across the street has Atkins Advantage bars, and I'm going to go buy one because I'm HUNGRY! Also should buy some fiber supplements - heh, heh.

Any advice on how to get through the next 12 (ugh!) days would be much appreciated! Oh, and people say the weight lost in induction is mostly water - is this true? Gawd, I hope not! Though people said that about the Zone, and I feel I proved them wrong!
  #53   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 12:21

Stats: 134/132/127
BF:don't wanna know
Progress: 29%
Default Thrilled!

Thrilled to find the Atkins candy bars at the health food store apart from my office! Yay! Now I'll have something to trick my brain with tonight after my pork chop!

As I was buying them, a man told me that the Atkins plan, which he is also doing, is great, but 'watch your cholesterol' - what do people think about this? I already don't have the best cholesterol (genetics, not related to my diet or exercise)
  #54   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 16:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins? Protien Power?
Stats: 220/193/150 Female 5'6"
BF:Unknown
Progress: 39%
Red face

It's reassuring to see so many others struggling to manage weigh issues and get back to a healthy lifestyle. I gained 43 pounds over the last 2 years since quitting smoking. The love of my life--at the time.. I have been on the Atkins plan for 3 days. I would kill for some sour cream and onion chips and a peanut butter sandwich, but other than that, doing OK.

3 days ago started with Leslie Sansone's Walk Away The Pounds and its awesome. Huffed and puffed my way through it.

For vitamins, I am taking a handful a day. A good multi-vitamin, potassium, chromium, essential 3-6-9 fatty acid blend, CoQ10, and 2:1 ration calcium and Magnesium. After this, I'm full for an hour. And I drink so much water I may need Depends.

I feel great. This is the best thing I've done for me and I am committed to losing this weight.

What a long post! Sorry... Just so excited.

ME

Last edited by NOT_MINIME : Wed, Apr-02-03 at 16:32.
  #55   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 11:34
Urban Jungle Denizen

Stats: 180/165/150 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hi!

I'm new here, and just want to introduce myself...

I started doing Atkins just over a year ago. I was never overweight until I hit age 34, and all of a sudden it was like I had no control. I'd never been on any kind of diet before, and really resisted the whole idea.

But it worked for me, and I dropped about 25 pounds - within 6 months, but most of the weight came off in the first 3.

Then, I started to take it easy, and completely messed up my routine. I gained back at least 10 of those pounds, and am struggling with my own lack of discipline in getting back on track.

I'm hoping that by joining a forum like this, I can get re-inspired to take better care of myself.

I look forward to getting to know you better

Katana
  #56   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 20:13

Plan: adkins
Stats: 208/208/169
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default new user of life plan and forum

fellow carb haters unite and help me to follow your path. i am trying to figure this site out. any tips will be appreciated. i want to follow the adkins plan. i am looking forward to talking to any of you. i am not certain about all of these options.
  #57   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 10:42

Stats: 163.5/163/145
BF:
Progress: 3%

Thank you for the helpful hints. I also am having trouble navigating the forum. I started Atkins on March 17, and have only lost 1/2 lb. I am very discouraged. If you have any ideas please let me know.

#58   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-03, 08:53
Registered Member

Plan: south beach
Stats: 245/261/180 Female 63
BF:
Progress: -25%
Default hi i am new too

i selected a name [talkercise ] that shows the kind of activity i love, however i do peddal away on a recumbant bike when it has been raining a lot and i can't do much else. when the sun shines i work on my yard and the house, and as sore and sweaty as i get i think its a good work out.
i started following atkins induction last september it took me about six weeks to locate and remove all the carbs then i discovered soy and was using to much for me i don't tollerate it well and got an irritation of the intestins and had to do low fat low carb and moderate protein.
i went back to the atkins induction in february because my calculater showed i was only consuming 700 cal a day and not loosing anything!
i have gotten back to 1200 a day or more [i stopped counting every thing but carbs]
i still am not loosing but have found out i am not a chocolate addict but a sugar addict now that i have lost the craving for sugar chocolate isn't as appealing. this is a real aha for me.
i do love cheese.
i haven't been able to sleep more than a six hour stretch in many years now i sleep 8 hours this is wonderful! i am sure it is the carbs that make me wake up early.
i haven't lost any real pounds but i didn't on any other diet either
so i am satisfied with living without the carbs for the moment ,
but i am here to find out if there is some thing i haven't done to make the pounds come off.
i will be delighted to get advise
thanks talkercise.
  #59   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-03, 15:14

Stats: 177/166/145
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default Thickeners

New to the forums -- these are great! I hope I'm doing this right.
Hubby and I are both doing Atkins and have had really good success so far (he's lost 20 pounds and I've lost 11 -- sigh, the woes of being an over-50 female). But I'm happy with my progress and feeling better than I've felt in years.
Anyway, here is my first question. Does anyone know if arrowroot can "legally" be used as a thickening agent for gravies, soups, etc.? I bought some at Whole Foods this weekend. Unfortunately, the only nutritional information I can find is per cup, not per tsp. or tbl. as I would probably use for gravies. Au jus is OK, but my husband and I want something that will "stick to the turnips" when I make that great pot roast for dinner this week!
  #60   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 07:29
Registered Member

BF:

Hi lajitasgal

Don't know if the arrowroot is legal but if you have the nutrition info for one cup here's the conversion to Tbs/tsp.

1 Cup = 16 Tbsp.
1 Cup = 48 tsp.

Just do the math and you've got it. Hope this helps.

Let me know how it turns out. I've been looking for a good thickener that worked with Atkins.

Rick