Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Jan-15-16, 21:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 258.4/241.4/190 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekRibs
That sounds fantastic. I'll be right over.
Seriously, it's got lots of variety, different types of proteins, lots of vegetables. Sounds very good. Don't be surprised if you do need a decent size supper. The beauty of low carb is you don't have to worry .. if you're hungry, you eat.

Thanks! I'm not against having a large supper...I'm just a bit worried about eating too much before hitting the hay. I've made that mistake before, lol.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Jan-16-16, 04:39

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Sounds good, happy to see that you are planning ahead and getting closer to the start. The only thing I see with that menu is make sure the jerky isn't loaded with sugar, preservatives, whatever. Snacking on the usual convenience store jerky all day might not be best. How about some cut up veggies or Hard boiled eggs? And once you are fat-adapted your need for snacks should reduce...eat only when hungry, not when bored driving. Also make sure you have a source of salt with all that water to prevent "induction flu". Btw, do you listen to podcasts while driving? Many health related ones now to reinforce commitment to LC.
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Jan-16-16, 09:35
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Sounds good, happy to see that you are planning ahead and getting closer to the start. The only thing I see with that menu is make sure the jerky isn't loaded with sugar, preservatives, whatever. Snacking on the usual convenience store jerky all day might not be best. How about some cut up veggies or Hard boiled eggs? And once you are fat-adapted your need for snacks should reduce...eat only when hungry, not when bored driving. Also make sure you have a source of salt with all that water to prevent "induction flu". Btw, do you listen to podcasts while driving? Many health related ones now to reinforce commitment to LC.

Thanks Janet! Yeah I was thinking about extra veggies but I was worried about going over my limit. There will be veggies in my lunch/thermos meal, and I'll have that salad at night so I think I'll get to my 3 cup limit pretty quickly...what do you think?
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Jan-16-16, 14:53

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Planning is great ("A failure to plan is a plan to fail") and I fully understand not wanting to start a major dietary endeavor under circumstances such as the NFL playoffs (Go Pack Go! ) but is there anything you can start doing right now? I only say that because from experience, planning can feel intoxicatingly like making a change, but of course, it's not.
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Jan-16-16, 17:23
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLx
Planning is great ("A failure to plan is a plan to fail") and I fully understand not wanting to start a major dietary endeavor under circumstances such as the NFL playoffs (Go Pack Go! ) but is there anything you can start doing right now? I only say that because from experience, planning can feel intoxicatingly like making a change, but of course, it's not.

Good point! The whole NFL playoffs are a non factor in my start date now. The biggest thing affecting my decision is that my groceries, etc will be bought this coming Wed the 20th. So starting the following Monday seems to make the most sense.
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Jan-16-16, 20:25
Registered Member

BF:

So just for the fun of it tonight I made one of my recipes I have planned. The Yummy Chicken Alfredo. Holy crap is it amazing! I pretty much followed the original recipe. At the end I just added my steamed broccoli right into it. Hard to believe that eating something like that will help me lose weight lol.

I can tell that it will probably only give me about three days worth so I will have to make a larger recipe on Sunday. And I will add a little less broccoli next time. But two thumbs up here! See pic...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0116161811.jpg (9.3 KB, 13 views)
  #37   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-16, 05:42

Yum, that does look great. I finally got a spiralizer (not big on extra kitchen gadgets but that and an immersion blender have been fun additions) and trying sauces myself...on veggies.

My history with LC was Starting with the 2010 New Atkins book which counts net carbs, and requires that a boatload of them come from vegetables. Then I met Dr Westman at a book author event, made an appointment for his clinic, and told him I was not comfortable reducing my salad and veg to 3 c. Since I had been doing OK for six months by then, he agreed, though I did eliminate all nuts, alcohol, reduced dairy and other foods that are on the strict Atkins/Duke plan. I didn't get fat eating 3 extra cups of lettuce. So...if you want to follow the strictest induction level, veggies are 3 cups total. But my view is snacking on some cucumber and celery isn't the end of the world either.
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-16, 07:18
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Yeah, that chicken and broccoli looks great!

I second the advice to "start starting" right away. Go 100% full speed on your chosen start date, but if you start cutting carbs now, you'll be a lot less likely to feel like crap from the withdrawals. Start each morning with a LC breakfast. If you stop for coffee, switch it over to real cream and sweetener if you haven't already. Save any carbs for the evening.

Do a kitchen clean out - are you doing yourself a favour by eating some of that stuff instead of just throwing it in the garbage? If there are semi-sensible higher carb foods like starchy veggies, I'd probably go ahead and eat them if it were me, but the really junky stuff I'd give away or throw out.

I also agree with Nancy on the pitfalls of being so organized and planned, that you're screwed when chaos happens. I was blindsided this week by a situation at work that now has me working brutal shifts for the next 3 weeks - 3:30 am - 3:00 pm. I'm sleeping like garbage and generally feel like crap. Sound conducive to grocery shopping and cooking? Ha. Not. Yet I'm in perfectly good shape. My freezer is loaded with individual nuke-able meals and always is. Every time I make soup, chili and other freezer-friendly foods, I make enough to freeze.
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-16, 07:34
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks guys I appreciate your thoughts. I will tell you that the type of person I am is if I don't have a very strict calendar of what I'm eating and when, then I will fail. At least I have in the past. That does not mean I don't like your ideas! Yes having my ingredients for my planned meals around is a must but also having extra of this and that is definitely something I want to do.

On a good note, I almost always eat a LC breakfast. Eggs, bacon or sausage, occasionally I've had a bowl of cereal but that is rare. One of the toughest things that will be for me to kick will be milk. I love milk! Eating eggs with water is something I'll have to get used to lol. And I do not drink coffee. Never have.

Now, all this talk about soup? What kind of soup could we possibly have while doing low carb? I love soup! And keep in mind I'll be doing fairly strict induction.
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-16, 09:14

I was looking at the Gretchen Rubin Habit Change thread, and re-read her "manifesto". Last one is:

12. Once we’re ready to begin, begin now. Just saying'

Soup! Start here: http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=124 I make hearty ones like chilis and stews in winter.

And here: http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/soup_recipes.html

Dr. Westman allows the unsweetened Almond Milk (Vanilla flavor is good) or water down cream.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Jan-17-16 at 09:21.
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-16, 09:17
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Oh heck, what kind of soup *can't* you have? You generally have to skip anything packaged, but it's easy to make your own. Anything with LC ingredients. We have many, many soup recipes here. If you see something that's not induction-friendly like carrot, you could skip it.
- Cream of cauliflower or broccoli - pureed cauliflower is a good thickener. Cream and/or cream cheese helps make it creamy.
- Chicken or beef stew
- Seafood chowder of some type
- Chili
- Potato bacon is one of my favorite soups, and it's easy to make with cauliflower instead
- Pumpkin soups. Sounds weird, but it's a fantastic soup base because it's thick, rich, and induction-friendly to boot. Pumpkin sausage soup is fantastic. Very rich and filling. Pumpkin curry is nice, too.

Soup, to me, is one of those things that's so flexible, it's hard to completely screw up even if you're not the best cook.

If you're a big soup fan, you'll probably want to pick up a cheap immersion blender if you don't have one already.
  #42   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-16, 11:15

Plan: LC/GF
Stats: 208/174/168 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

Waterboy, Blue Diamond brand "Almond Breeze" unsweetened almond milk has 1 carb for 8 oz and 0 sugar. We use it sometimes for whey protein shakes (3 carbs) when we don't have time for a proper breakfast or the cook (me) is not in the mood. It stays fresh for a long time. HTH
  #43   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-16, 11:19
Registered Member

BF:

You guys are a wealth of info! Wow! Thank you so much!
  #44   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-16, 11:49
Registered Member

BF:

I started a separate thread that talks about something that is important to me. It is behind my motivation and a lot of the things that I've been able to accomplish the last couple of years. Maybe you too will find inspiration here.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...940#post9083940
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Jan-21-16, 04:28

Tried to answer you, but got this:

Quote:
nwwaterboy has exceeded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space.