Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-09-05, 10:43
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%
Default Calcium/Magnesium Supplement

I've taken this for 2 days now, a Ca/Mg supp containing 1000mg Ca, and 400mg Mg. I take it with dinner. I'm not about to take anything on an empty stomach, such as bedtime, like she suggests.

Anyway, for about 3 hours after I take it, my stomach 'feels' very upset. Rumbling, cramping, nausea, pain. My BM's (usually I go in the AM) are more frequent, but the consistency is unchanged.

I do NOT like this upset stomach feeling at all. I do take my women's multi at dinner also, I think I'll try moving that one to lunchtime, when I also take a B-50 complex.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has the upset stomach thing.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-09-05, 10:53

Plan: Schwarzbein/0 Blood type
Stats: 155/145/130 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 40%

I don't usually get an upset stomach from cal/mag but I do
sometimes from a multivitamin, especially if I ate lightly. I know that zinc gives an upset stomach. Is it just cal/mag in the ingredients? What form are they in, that could be it also. I love
Rainbow Light's calcium with enzymes, helps to digest the minerals and dinner. I need to get some more. Also taking them
in the pm helps one to sleep soundly.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-09-05, 12:49

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Elle,

Your digestive system may be more sensitive than most to magnesium.

A 400mg dose is the cutoff point over which the UK government requires a warning label about upset stomachs.
http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache...ch+upsets&hl=en
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-09-05, 13:29
Registered Member

Well, I just noticed that it takes *3* tablets to get the 1000mg/400mg dose. I'm only taking 1 tablet. It does contain zinc, and so does the multi that I was taking at the same time. The Ca is carbonate and the Mg is oxide.

Today, I'm taking the multi (& the B-50) with lunch, and the Ca/Mg alone with dinner and see how I feel. I feel perfectly normal after lunch, so we'll see how it goes tonight.

Thanks!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-09-05, 20:00
Registered Member

Problem solved....no problems at all with taking the multi at lunch with my B-50 and taking the Ca/Mg at dinner.

Thanks for the tip about the zinc! Both the multi and the Ca/Mg each have 100% RDA for zinc, so I suspect it was just a bit much for me all at once!

Yea!