Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 07:28
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 223/193/180 Male 6 ft 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default Question about LC food quantities eaten

I am a big eater My question is this:
I have stayed within the 15-18 grm carb per day limit during these first few days of induction. I will eat ie 2-3 pork chops at a meal, with a 2 cup lettuce/2 slice ham/3 tbsp ranch dressing salad, cup of brocolli, and large bowl of sugar free 0 carb flavored jell-o for dinner.
I plan on a half pound hamburger (broiled) patty with slice of american cheese and maybe salad, brocolli, diet drink for dinner.
Are these quantities, even tho listed in fitday as 0 carb, O.K. ? Am I going to miss the boat on this induction thing unless I "measure and weigh " my meats for instance? Am I only supposed to have like 4oz of chicken breat instead of a "large" breast for dinner? I guess my question is this: Is for instance, a 4oz slice of chicken breast and a "large" chicken breast (appx 8-9 oz) cooked the same way, the same 0 grm carb?
Thanks for any feedback on this yall
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 07:45

Plan: My own plan!
Stats: 176/163/135 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 32%

My first advise would be for you to read the Atkins book and the atkinscenter.com website. These will help with your questions.

In regards to carbs and calories and FitDay.com:

You should have 2-3 cups of veggies a day

You should consume at least 10-12x your body weight in calories daily

You should only eat until satisfied but not stuffed or too full so portions are different for everyone here

You should be eating at least 18-20 carbs a day so I would increase your carbs or play around with the numbers to see what works for you

Last, you are probably having too much jello-it's ok for a small snack but it contains Nutra Sweet and Dr. Atkins says to limit intake of Nutra Sweet.

Good Luck and Welcome!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 08:20

Plan: 6 week cure
Stats: 217/183/120 Female 4'11"
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 35%

Chicken has 0 carbs no matter how much of it you eat. Same with beef, pork, and lamb. Some seafood has carbs.

You will get carbs from veggies, cheese, eggs and so on.

Like mentioned above, your calories should be 10 - 12 times your current body weight. Your fat intake should be 70%, your carb intake 5% and protein 25%. These percentages can move around a little, but you want to keep your fat between 65 and 70% of your total daily caloric intake. This is a high fat WOE, not high protein.

Fitday's great, isn't it?

shortstuff
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 12:37
Registered Member

BF:
Default lookin good

Thanks for the feedback yall Aside from my affinity for the jell-o, looks like I'm on track. It won't be a problem to up my daily carb intake to get closer to 20 grms, I just want to allow for error and not go over.
An extra cup of brocolli or more cheese will not be a problem for this one Thanks again, and I'll be posting regularly during the induction, and periodically during the maintenance. Peace
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 17:22

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default My intake has fallen over time

Got kinda bingy in the beginning and learned I can eat a LOT on Atkins without gaining, but I won't lose unless I restrict calories somewhat, AND exercise regularly.

Now it's comforting to know I can still overeat if I chose to and maintain a stable weight, as long as I stick to a LC WOE. I'm discovering I can eat less if I get my vitamins right, which for me is a lot more than one multi- a day. YMMV.

Stick around. It's a lifestyle, not a diet. As long as you keep coming back, you'll figure out what works for you.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 07:38
Registered Member

BF:
Default upped my carb intake to get closer to 20 pd

I upped the carb intake to get closer to 20 grms per day, and I just can't stand to get too close to 20. I'm afraid that I have micounted somewhere and I don't want to go over. Is it going to hurt if I continue to stay 15-18 per day? I just don't think I can getr an exact carb count.
Any way, I weighed yesterday, and I must have read the scales wrong somewhere, either at my initial 223 start or yesterday when I weighed in at 217. That can't happen, can it?
Oh well yall, many thx for those that take the time to read my stuff and offer your input, it is a true blessing.
Today I am going to keep the work day to 9 grams, and tonite limit to 7-8 during the evening.
I like the variety of food I am finding to eat, and the wife and I have figured out how to keep our oriental chicken salad (a favorite ) !! We just have to leave out the chow mein noodles. Is there a substitute for chow mein noodles that anyone know of?
Thx again, and keep coming back
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Nov-08-03, 18:13
Phoenixa

Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%

Hello jonnymo!

Well, but of course it can happen! Congrats to your weightloss!! I lost 11lbs first week of induction... Some lose none. It's individual.

As for substitute for noodles, there are nocarb, nocal, nofat, nonuthin' noodles called "shirataki" (found in Oriental markets or online here: http://www.konjacfoods.com/order/ ) made from "konnyaku" / glucomannan - a starchy Japanese root. Traditional diet food in Japan, doesn't taste of anything but gives good texture to all kinds of dishes.

Just a little tip.

Best of luck with your new WOE!

/gil