Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-03, 10:18

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default Flouride in Bottled Water

Hey my fellow hunter gatherers! Although it is old news, I wanted to make a comment on the subject of flouride in bottled water.

It seems that due to the increase of dental problems in children, someone has decided it would be wise to add flouride to bottled water to try and rectify this problem. Perhaps adding fluoride to all the soda pop, candy, white bread, pasta, chocolate bars, fruit drinks and juices, potato chips that children also eat may help!

Ridiculous.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-07-03, 22:09
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 145/140/? Female 5'6
BF:
Progress:

I totally agree. Dentists and toothbrushes weren't available in Paleo times. I've read that maybe Paleo people used blades of grass as floss, but that's probably about the extent of their conscious attempts at dental hygiene.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-07-03, 22:21

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 34%

#4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-03, 00:56

Plan: paleo, neanderthin, herbal
Stats: 185/182/180 Male 6-2
BF:
Progress:

Most municipalities in the US use fluoridation. As a result of its widespread use in not only drinking water but pesticides and elsewhere, we already receive a very high dosage (above the recommended safe levels) everyday. The best thing to do is use distilled water or spring water. Concerned people might consider a filtration device, although carbon/charcoal filters will not catch fluoride (try reverse osmosis instead).

There are significant enough worries in my mind as in more primitive times we were never exposed to such high levels of fluoride, which is said to accumulate in the thyroid and bones and acts as a neurotoxin.

Isn't it ironic sometimes the way we try to improve life by increasing the use of unhealthy technologies.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-03, 19:17

Plan: NeanderThin, Atkins mix
Stats: 131/127/127 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 100%

You're right, Caveman. It is like our federal park rangers releasing poison in rivers to kill off a certain dangerous type of fish and then scratching their heads at why every other type of fish died or when Nutrias were released without natural predators and are now pests. It is ludicrous to try to improve life by such drastic measures. When children had rotting teeth and government started putting flouride in water, it should have dawned on someone that perhaps the problem was not the water supply, but the sugar overload.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-03, 00:11

Plan: Caveman/Mercola
Stats: 228/176/160 Male 5'11
BF:
Progress: 76%
Default Last Post on Sugar not fluoride

It did dawn on Weston Price. He was ignored. In case some have not heard of him, see www.westonaprice.org and book at

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...=glance&s=books

Nutrition and Physical Degeneration
by Weston A. Price

In the late 1930's Dr Price, a retired dentist, travelled to areas of the world where processed food was only beginning to be available and examined the teeth and health of people of the generations before and during the introduction of such food. The result is a valuable historical documentation of the damage done by the consumption processed foods.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-03, 09:55

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

The Weston Price Foundation site is a very good one that provides numerous articles of interest to those once lead astray by the modern conventional "wisdom," and who now know enough to challenge it.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 19:59
Registered Member

Plan: paleo
Stats: 209/189/176 Male 186cm
BF:
Progress: 61%

Maaaany years ago, before I emigrated to Australia, I worked as a civil servant in the Welsh Board of Health. They did a survey of 2 small towns in North Wales, one of which had a lot of natural fluoride in the water supply and the other which had no flourides at all.

After looking at dental results over a few years they found that kids' teeth in the non flouride town were actually better.

What happened was that parents in the non-flouride town thought "gee, we're now the centre of attention" and imposed a strict teeth cleaning routine on the kids.. quite surprising seeing that dental floss had'nt even been invented then (late 1960's). We used to use a sort of thin medicated toothpick.

I suppose the parents in the flouridated town thought "we've got flouride so we don't need to bother".

Despite this I suppose the real issue is that paleolithic skulls always seem to be full of teeth!

Michael Gardner

Australia