Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 18:11
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 145/140/? Female 5'6
BF:
Progress:
Cool New to this forum...

Hey there everyone. I'm 24/female and have just started following the Paleolithic diet since the beginning of October. I've been following a fairly high-fat diet for a couple of years but always had problems with binge eating which really become a problem in the winter. Anyhow I discovered Paleo eating and love it so far. Cutting out wheat/dairy has completely cured me of my depression. I NEVER get depressed anymore and I'm soooo much more alert...I don't need nearly as much sleep as I used to. And I'm not bingeing on vending machine food. I didn't really desire to lose much weight, just maintain and not binge. I really hated the thought of what all that junk was doing to my body, and what a waste of money it all was.

Anyhow I thought I'd just say hi.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 18:43

Plan: ?
Stats: 130/125/125 Female 5' 7"
BF:12%
Progress: 100%

Hi Arctic

Yes I can relate to that horribly drugged, sluggish feeling you get when you eat pasteurized dairy & wheat products. Did you know that studies have been done in psychiatric facilities where paranoid Schizophrenics were taken OFF all wheat products and almost 50% were able to radically decrease their psychotropic drug intake?

Wheat products have been found to exacerbate mental illness & even possibly autism

It's hard to get away from it - but when you can the difference is amazing!!

Welcome to the forum - hope you enjoy it!!!
:
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 08:52

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Hey and Welcome Arctic!
I am so glad that you have discovered this way of eating so early in life. You have much to look forward to and your future looks very bright indeed.

Eating this way has also cured my depression, and also eliminated many other problems such as joint pain, alleviated my asthma considerably and given me so much more energy. I just wish I had discovered this 40 years ago when I could have prevented many of the ailments and conditions I suffer today. However, whatever time is still left to me will be good now that I am on the right track.

A toast to you and your new way of eating and welcome to this site.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 11:09
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 145/140/? Female 5'6
BF:
Progress:

Yes, it just makes me actually quite giddy due to this breakthrough in eating that I've discovered. I've never really felt that any diet was so "right" before. I am truly amazed at how quickly it cured my depression.

My next problem that I'm really really hoping this diet will cure is my acne. I really don't want to take medications for it as I have in the past. I'm really hoping that by following this diet I'll be able to clear up my skin.

I know that I could take medications to clear it up but I see acne as a sign that something is wrong in my body. I want to use my acne problem as a flag that I'm eating the right or wrong things.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 04:22

Plan: Neanderthin/Paleo
Stats: 147/123.2/121 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress: 92%

Welcome, Arctic!

it's wonderful that you've embarked on this WOL and are so commited.

About the acne issue...I too, have had mild to moderate adult acne and have noticed a vast improvement overall since I started eating Paleo in June this year. I still get a few pimples, but they are very isolated. In fact, my skin is looking less oily, even though I'm eating larger quantities of fat! Let us know how it goes, and good luck. You'll find there are many helpful people in this forum.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 11:01

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Arctic:
Give this a try for your acne. I have always had problems with my skin and found that rubbing my skin with small amount of coconut oil about 1 hour before going to bed has helped a lot. I know it's greasy but just keep rubbing it in and eventually it will be absorbed. Try a small area at first and see what happens. Good luck.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 11:32

Plan: ?
Stats: 130/125/125 Female 5' 7"
BF:12%
Progress: 100%

I personally don't get pimples because my skin is pretty dry - I can put cocoa butter, olive oil - anything and never breakout.

1) I do notice that unless I wash my makeup brushes every week with shampoo, then i will get tiny bumps on my cheeks etc. It's the germs and irritants trapped in the brush hairs that you push into your skin when you apply oyur makeup.

2) I think coconut oil would be great because it contains a high level of lauric acid which is great for killing bacteria and germs. It will also help if you are using any other products that tend to dry your skin out.

3) I think the less processed sugar you eat the better - the less bacterial activity will exist. As we know bacteria & yeasts thrive in an environment high in sugar. (if you've ever made homemade bread you know that in order to get the yeats nice and active and multiplying, you sprinkle sugar into the water mixture with yeast and it goes crazy and starts foaming etc. Same thing happens inside your body when you have excess yeast in your sytem and you add in sugar - bloating, methane gas is excreted by the yeast into your body - yucky!!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 13:22

Plan: pp
Stats: 167.6/164/140 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:
Progress: 13%

Welcome.
I have noticed a definate decrease in anxiety since eating this way. A close friend has even commented on it.
I have been using coconut oil on my hands - they are always so dry - and it really helps. I've been afraid of putting it on my face but I think I'll give it a go. It's nice to see this forum picking up!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 15:35
Registered Member

Plan: antivegan,was subzerocarb
Stats: 200/187/175 Male 6' 0"
BF:27%/19%/12%
Progress: 52%

welcome, arcticslug

glad you joined us!

am happy (and not surprised at all) this has helped you to get away from binge eating!

wish i had started this woe when i was 24!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-03, 19:20

Plan: Primal/Paleo
Stats: 255/241/145 Female 5 feet 9 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

Welcome to the board Arctic. I've totally been off the paleo way for a few weeks, and I have been sooo emotional lately. I know in a few days my mood will improve as the carb cravings dissappear just like it did when I first started this a few months ago. See you around!