Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-31-02, 07:54

Plan: Atkins diet
Stats: 208/200/160
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default Stalled, gaining and losing i'm on the roller coaster

I have been on the Atkins diet for about 1 month and after the first initial weight lose of 11 lbs I have gained and lost 4 lbs and stalled since then. I'm on eltroxin for thyroid, and have had yeast infections periodically in the past 40 years. I'm also peri-menopausal. I have tried going off all fermented foods, all cheeses except mozzerella and cream cheese, vinigar, mushrooms and even went off my eltroxin for a few days to try and get some results. I've also tried going off heavy cream. HELP!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-31-02, 07:57

Plan: Back with Atkins, works b
Stats: 196/151/145 Female 5'6"
BF:28/26/
Progress: 88%

Hi Jane!

Start a journal and list all you have eaten for the day (everything!)

I'll pop on over and I am sure many others will too, to try and see what is happening.

First off make sure you are drinking a ton of water, half your weight in ounces at a minimum... be sure you are eating enough too... now lets see what you are actually eating so we can help.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-31-02, 18:31

BF:
Default getting to the bottom of it all!

thanks Mary!
i had no idea what the journals were and how to use them and you've started me on the road to "getting to the bottom of it all". and believe me i'm in need of all the help i can get.
this the most amazing website! it makes me very happy to know there are so many out there ready to help.now i have some hope. thank again.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-31-02, 19:23
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Hi Jane Anne!

There is no reason to go into a panic quite yet. It is very, very common to stall out a little after induction as your body makes some adjustments. If you're hypothyroid, perimenopausal and have a possible candida overgrowth, you've got quite a few challenges to deal with here! If you've ever yo-yo dieted in the past (like many of us have) then the challenges are even greater. I'm not trying to discourage you....actually just the opposite.

I didn't look at your profile, but I assume you're 40+ and so am I (44 next month). Here's a newsflash for you: we're not going to lose weight NEARLY as fast as the 20-something group on this board. In fact, I've only lost 4 lbs since induction ended in mid-March! Oh, I went through a terrible depression over that ..still do sometimes...but I realize there really is no alternative for me except to do the best I can with tweaking and sticking to my diet and exercising regularly. The next best thing I can do for my success is to keep visiting this board, asking for and giving support whenever necessary. If it takes me a year to lose this darn 28 lbs. then so be it.... it's better than sitting on the couch, eating bon bons and gaining a lb. a month!! I really have never felt better or healthier in my life....so even if I never lose another pound I have gained something extremely valuable: my health and sense of well-being.

Let us know how we can help....anytime!!!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-31-02, 19:33

Plan: atkins
Stats: 168/158/148 Female 5'4"
BF:no clue!
Progress: 50%
Default i'll second that!!!!!!

teri said.......

"I really have never felt better or healthier in my life....so even if I never lose another pound I have gained something extremely valuable: my health and sense of well-being. "

great words of wisdom to remember! i am NOT a number on the scales....i am a valuable human being created in God's image and taking GREAT care of his temple, my body.

dont give up the ship!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-31-02, 21:02

BF:

teridoodle and kimberlina!
You have actually told me something I've been thinking in the back of my mind. I so love myself,and i feel very good inspite of the perimenopasal stuff. i'm going to be 52 next week and i may have gone a bit nutsy for a few days. what i really want is to be healthy and happy and inspite of my excess weight i have both. actually, i look pretty good all things concidered.
i just wrote in my journal, after dinner, that if it takes me a year oor two to lose 40 pounds, it's okay. i'll figure something out that works.
i feel really blessed to have the support of all of you behind me to encourage me when i get frustrated.
thanks folks and God bless you.
(i'm so impressed with the caring people connected with this website!!!!)
i'm pumped again,
jane anne
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jun-01-02, 16:29
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Way to go, Jane!!!! Thatsagirl!