Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-01, 23:19
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
When it is "released", what happens to it? Where does it go? How does it exit the body?

"It" (the stored fat) is broken down into fatty acids which are 'released' into the bloodstream in the form of several varieties of 'ketones' which are used for energy by the cells as an alternative to glucose. Any unused 'energy' would *normally* be stored as fat IF insulin is dominant but since glucagon is dominant, it's not stored but flushed. The excess unused ketones (fat breakdown byproducts and literally unused calories) are respired (via sweat or breath) or flushed from the bloodstream by the kidneys. Hence, keto-breath... etc.

This is a very simplified explanation. Any further detail you would have to look up in a medical textbook or (recommended) Lyle MacDonald's book "The Ketogenic Diet".
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-01, 10:47
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 321.5/205.5/175
BF:
Progress: 79%
Talking Let's see if I get this straight

There have been a lot of comments on this thread that are absolutely fantastic, and I think some of you need doctorates (or if you have them then you need them in nutrition ).

From what I understand taking carbohydrates out of your diet forces your body to use both eaten fat, and stored fat as its primary source of fuel. The unfortunate thing about turning eaten fat into energy is that it is an incredibly spendy process for your body. So spendy in fact that it basically transforms all the fat you are eating (which is 9 calories per gram typically) down to roughly 5 calories per gram (this process also includes taking some of the fat you are eating to power conversion of stored fat. The process for this has been explained multiple times. . . but the end result is turning 9 fat calories into 5 for every gram you eat(as far as the good Dr. Atkins is concerned). This process only happens with heavy carb restriction. This is metabolic advantage.

Now if I'm eating a fifteen hundred calorie a day diet (because yes, I too believe in calorie reduction-if not jus to speed my weight loss). If a thousand calories of that is fat (which is not difficult on the Atkins diet) then consider this equation. . .

1000 calories of fat per day is roughly 111.1 grams of fat. Quite a bit.

Now take that 111.1 and instead of multiplying it by 9 (the typical calories in a fat gram) which would take us back up to a thousand. Multiply it by 5 (the amount of calories your body will actually see) instead. You get 555.5 calories.

If you take a 1000 and subtract 555.5 calories I will have gained and 444.5 calorie metabolic advantage. Basically I'm eating fifteen hundred calories a day, but my body sees it as 1025.5 calories. Those calories I'm losing aren't going anywhere but being converted to energy instead.

This is why you get greater weight loss. In my opinion its still highly calorie related. . . but oh well.

Mike
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-01, 13:19

Plan: atkins
Stats: 135/135/120
BF:
Progress:
Default losing slow

Hi mike I agree calories is part of low carbing also-I must cut down on fatty beef and eating too much protein in general

orsola
  #49   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-01, 13:27
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 321.5/205.5/175
BF:
Progress: 79%
Talking Orsolag

We got to do what we got to do, right

I think that calorie reduction is the standard for most people on the Atkins diet. Even if it is incidental. I recently watched a program on the Discovery channel about how scientists are advising our bodies instinctively "know whats best" so, if I'm not hungry I don't force more caloris down my maw.

GRIN

Mike
  #50   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-01, 13:37
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

This thread is quite informative as to all the variations and techniques.

Just to point out to new comers reading this and getting confused as to who's right and who's wrong: Do what works for your body.

Some have only a few of lbs and can lose it in a week or two no matter what diet they follow;

Some have huge metabolic advantage and will lose no matter what they eat.

The majority of obese people belong to none of the above groups

If you're not among the above groups, chose a low-carb plan you think you can live with and follow it to the T for amonth. If you lose weight comfortable and want to tweak it, by all means, you have more room to experiment than the rest of us

Wa'il
  #51   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-01, 01:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Cool the REALLY cool thing about all this is....

the Metabolic Advantage is all these things above and more...

A whole lot of shakin' going on! and Wa'il, thanks for the timely reminder that each and every person, regardless of the general theories being applied, has their own metabolism (or as we say over and over, YMMV Your Measurements May Vary) and must best-fit their dietary intake for themselves.

Sure is fun to talk about these things though... a cool puzzle.
  #52   ^
Old Sun, Dec-02-01, 16:21

Plan: Dr.Atkins
Stats: 257/253/143
BF:
Progress: 4%
Angry

Doesnt matter what I do, eat, whatever I lose 1 kilo over 2 weeks or maximum 2 kilos over 2 weeks. And this is on the induction phase. Makes me want to cry. The only reason I am sticking to this diet (Dr Atkins) is because I feel betterwhen I do but the weight loss is pathetic and I am getting fed up and tempted to stop. Any words of wisdom (or sympathy ) are sorely needed and most welcomed.
  #53   ^
Old Sun, Dec-02-01, 18:49
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/259.0/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 26%

I might be wrong, but isn't a kilo 2.2 pounds? That would be an acceptable rate of loss.

If on the other hand I am mistaken...

Some things that may prevent weight loss are medications, hidden carbs, dairy products, nuts, food intolerences, not drinking enough water, not eating enough calories, not exercising, not getting essential fatty acids, sensitivity to that acid found in red meat and eggs, not eating enough fat, and getting into a dietary rut where you eat the same things the same ways with consistancy. I'm sure there is more but this is all that comes to mind right now. Good luck!

Elihnig
  #54   ^
Old Sun, Dec-02-01, 19:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/178.2/140
BF:
Progress: 24%

This is an interesting thread. I am not counting my calories, so far I am just taking Dr. Atkins' advice of not being afraid of fat (for the 2 week induction period) and I'm enjoying the heck out of this diet. I am afraid of not eating enough, I just am not one bit hungry. Several evenings I've just skipped dinner.
  #55   ^
Old Sun, Dec-02-01, 19:40
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/259.0/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 26%

Please do not skip meals! Have some protein and 1/2 cup of green veggies before bed at least! If you do not get in enough calories in regular intervals your body will think you are starving and shut down your weightloss. Yes, even if you are not hungry, so eat!

Elihnig
  #56   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-01, 03:58

BF:

Hello again
I read this after the diary reply.
What can I say?

medications - yes
dairy products - yes
food intolerences - to almost everything
not drinking enough water - major yes (does mint tea count?)
not eating enough calories - mostly yes
not exercising - big major yes
not getting essential fatty acids - possibly
sensitivity to that acid found in red meat and eggs - no idea
not eating enough fat - ????
getting into a dietary rut - definately
plus - ibs
plus - vegetarian at heart, demi-veg by necessity

Oh my G-d I am a complete mess.
Yes you are right 2.2lbs = 1 kilo
I think the main problem for me is that for the second time in my life I do have the willpower but to 'fight' to diet and to lose weight so very slowly is driving me nuts. Husband lost 32 kilos in 5 moths, his mum in 8 months and his brother 20k in 2 months! Also everywhere I read/look on different sites the weight is just falling off people.
Why has the weight fairy forgotton me?
Im whingeing again. Sorry.
Thanx again
  #57   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-01, 15:56

Plan: Predominantly Atkins
Stats: 320/260/145
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default Don't give up, Harley!

Quote:
Originally posted by Harley
Doesnt matter what I do, eat, whatever I lose 1 kilo over 2 weeks or maximum 2 kilos over 2 weeks. And this is on the induction phase. Makes me want to cry. The only reason I am sticking to this diet (Dr Atkins) is because I feel betterwhen I do but the weight loss is pathetic and I am getting fed up and tempted to stop. Any words of wisdom (or sympathy ) are sorely needed and most welcomed.

Don't give up! Just LOOK at what patience has got you! You have lost weight, you're healthier, you haven't gained!

I know, it's really hard. Maybe you should tweak your diet a little and make it yours. You've obviously been following Atkins long enough to know that you only lose a certain amount. You probably know what your triggers are by now, and what you can eat and be safe with. Play around with it a little; if you continue to lose 2 kilos every two weeks, you'll be able to eat what you like and still lose weight, and it'll be nearly effortless!

Just wanted to encourage you to keep on plugging along
Sh'ra
  #58   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-01, 16:12

BF:

Ahh Bless.
You are lovely. Thank you for you rkind words and encouragement. And you are so right. I am in the process of tweaking as we 'speak'.
Im also feeling better from all the encouragement I have been geting from people through this site.
I just have to come to terms that I lose weight really slowly and I think that I am (trying to anyway)

Thanks again and good luck to you as well.
  #59   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-01, 16:47

Plan: Predominantly Atkins
Stats: 320/260/145
BF:
Progress: 34%

Thanks, Harley,

Soon as I'm off induction with Atkins, I'm going to "tweak" a little. I definitely want to add back some fruit to my diet - I miss fruit almost as much as I miss chocolate That should help with the boredom of what I'm eating.

Sh'ra
  #60   ^
Old Sat, Dec-15-01, 13:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/181/160
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hello,
I am new to the Atkins diet and I'm getting confused with all these figures
No matter, I'm am going to keep going and any weight I lose will be fine with me
TryAgain, don't feel bad. I am going into my second week of the induction period and so far I have lost 5 lbs. It seems to be slowing down. I may lose another 5lbs, who knows but I'm going to keep on keepin' on for as long as I can. And in the mean time, if I reach my goal than FANTASTIC
Good luck to everyone out there trying to reach their weight loss goals and their health goals
Maria