Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-03, 15:27
Registered Member

Plan: zone, aitkins
Stats: 145/135/118 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default troubles!!!

This previous year i decided to go on the zone diet and it was a sucess i lost 30 pounds on my 5'6" frame down to about 119. That summer i also went on birth control(yasmin) and i automatically gained 20 pounds....in one month!!! I switched to the mini pill with no help there. Last week i got off all birth control and started aitkins. While I have noticed my pants being looser the scale has stayed the same. Also i feel sick when i eat all this fat. I have decided to go back on the pill but am afraid that water gain and bloating will come back. ( i was thinking alesse) Does anyone have any input that would help me????
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-03, 15:54
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

5'6" and 119 sounds a little underweight to me. Your body might just be trying to get to a healthy weight.

As for the birth control, have you considered Depo, IUD or other forms? Soemtiems those have less of an effect on the body and weight.

If your pants are getting loser, then you are losing fat. That is the goal of any diet. The protien from Atkins is probably helping you to rebuild muscle (though if you were on the zone it's higher protien then Atkins). Ignore the scale. Losing weight isn't what' simportnat, losing fat is.

If you had such great sucess with the zone, why not go back to it? You may not have a high level of insulin resistance and the more moderate carb moderate fat way could work better for you.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-03, 18:47
Registered Member

Plan: zone, aitkins
Stats: 145/135/118 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the reply. I really enjoyed the Zone but 3 months after gaining the weight i decided to try aitkins.
I know that 139 is a healthy weight but 120 fits my frame alot better. What if i start induction and follow up into the zone? could birth control cause insulin resistance? Im only 18 so the oral pill is the only option. Is there anyone who could help?????

Last edited by kats1555 : Wed, Dec-17-03 at 14:52.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 10:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Try it and see if your body likes it.
Also, by eating enough protein, your body gets denser. I'm a size smaller while I'm at the same weight I reached by eating low fat.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 10:12

Stats: 259/191/160 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 69%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats1555
Im only 18 so the oral pill is the only option.

Not so.

You could be fitted for a diaphram, something that is only used when needed and doesn't cause weight gain. Talk to your doctor and s/he may have other suggestions, too.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 10:13
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

There are lots of birth control options at 18. Talk to your gynecologist.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 10:23
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I was taking depo at 16, am again at 23. 18 does not mean your birth control options are limited. Some long term ones such as tube tying I definetly wouldn't make a decision on at 18, but that is a personal opinion. 18 year olds are perfectly able to handle IUD, depo, implants (though I have heard of dangers from these at any age), diaphram and so on.

I agree if you are not sexualy active on a regular basis with a regular partner, a diaphram combined with condoms could be a better idea. Properly used they can help birth contorl, though they don't have the high effectivness rate of the pill.

If you are sexually active on an almost daily basis, then a daily bc like the pill can be a good idea. For those who have a hard time remembering to take it though it becomes useless.

In addition to the above BC options there are also patches now you can wear on your skin which release hormones into the body. This would probably have the same effect on weight as the pill, but not the burden of remembering to take it daily (just to change the patch on a regular basis) there are also rings which are similar to diaphrams, but smaller and work by releaseing hormones just when needed.

Talk to your doctor and if they are unwilling to help, visit your local family planning or planned parent hood offices. Getting not only access to good quality birth control, but also all the information possible is a must. Educating yourself is the best form of both birth control and desiese prevention.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 12:05

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 245/240/190 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 9%

Just a quick note about my personal experience with bc pills. I tried three before I found one what did not make me balloon up. Then, After taking it for several years, I noticed my depressive moods were gradually getting worse. Then, I found out that BC pills can cause depression. After getting off of them, my depression was not gone, but the moods were tolerable. So, I have been BC free since 1996 and my body is okay with it. Just be aware of all side effects and listen closely to your body.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 12:37

Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5'8''
BF:30%/26.2%/23%
Progress: 78%

The pill is highly individual. I am on my 4th type in less than 3 years, and it looks like this one is a keeper. But like Mommatbird said, things can change after a year or so. My gyno said is that it's hit and miss, but you need to give a pill at least 6 months before you decide if it's the one for you. One made me blow up like a baloon, but after a few months it went away.
Make sure you take it every day, and the same time every day. This will help keep things balanced. If I take one even a few hours late I really pay for it.
Good luck with finding what works for you!