Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 15:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 208/191.5/144 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default New Ice Cream Maker troubles!

Hello to All of you awesome Lowcarbers!

I bought a brand new GE Ice Cream Maker at Wal Mart and tried it out for the first time today. The paddle broke which REALLY ticks me off!!!

What kind of Ice Cream Makers do you have and how would you rate it??

Thanks in advance!!

Julie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 15:20
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
The paddle broke which REALLY ticks me off!!!

You may of let it run to long, which over froze the icecream, making the paddle unable to turn. It could of also been too thick of ingredients, or maybe just a cheap *** maker *g*

I don't remember what kind I bought, it's packed so I can't check. We bought it at Walmart though, and it is a kind you put the container in the freezer first so you don't have to use any rock salt or ice. It's worked great so far on regular icecream, and icemilk, I havn't tried it with LC yet. (I even bought an LC icream mix though) It would get the icecream to about soft serve consistancy, then you put it in the freezer for harder.

Look at Walmart for the kind that uses no ice, costs about $20-$30, is white, and has an opening in the top for easy loading of ingredients. I found out it's important to use that or part of the icecream freezes and part doesn't. Not that helpful am I, sorry
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 15:51

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/161/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

I have a Cuisinart and it works very well...but so does the zip lock bag method !
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 22:08

Stats: 235/235/160
BF:
Progress:
Default Your ice cream maker

You need to take that ice cram maker back to Wal Mart. Let them know that it broke the first time you used it and they should either give you a new one or a refund. I went to Wal-Mart last night to buy an ice cream maker but decided just to buy the Le Carb ice cream instead--I'm saving it for a weekend treat if I am good all week!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 08:20

Stats: 240/205/145 Female 5' 9-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 37%

I have a Cuisinart and have been very happy with it.

Karla
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 08:50

Stats: 146/137/130
BF:
Progress: 56%

Hi Julie,

Ice cream made with Splenda gets really hard, really fast. That may be why the paddle (actually it is called a dasher) broke. A little alcohol helps keep it a little softer - alcohol does not freeze. You could try plain vodka for the least impact on the flavor of the ice cream. Or try kahlua or Bailey's or whatever you like. I think the ratio is about 1Tablespoon per cup of cream.

Rosemary
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 08:55

Stats: 195/150/150 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:
Progress: 100%
Smile

I to got mine at walmart. It is the kind where you put the container in the freezer and don;t use ice and rock salt. I love it. I don't remember what it was called but it said it was some kind of italian design or maker. It ran $35.00 and I would recommend getting it if you can. Definetley return your old one to walmart and get a new one.

You do need to watch the ice creams made LC, I made up a batch last weekend and it only took 5 minutes to freeze up.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 19:44

Plan: Modified Low Carb
Stats: 320/273.8/270 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckx4
Hi Julie,

A little alcohol helps keep it a little softer - alcohol does not freeze. You could try plain vodka for the least impact on the flavor of the ice cream. Or try kahlua or Bailey's or whatever you like. I think the ratio is about 1Tablespoon per cup of cream.

Rosemary

Iwilldoit has a sudden brainstorm about Cointreau flavored ice cream :thud:! gotta try gotta try!!

lol, it's funny how you pick up little tips when you weren't even looking for them! Thanks Rosemary!