Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#136   ^
Old Tue, Feb-08-05, 12:46

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 275/235/160 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrightguy
The Atkins maple syrup should just be called maple flavored water. It's so watery - IMO Walden Farms syrup is much tastier.

can you tell us where you found or where we might find the walden farm brand syrup. i like the atkins syrup but willing to try something different if you guys think it is be
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Tue, Feb-08-05, 15:33
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkins, PP
Stats: 148/135/115 Female 62 inches
BF:32%
Progress: 39%

Diane1
Read the label on the slimfast bars. I'm not famillar with them but if you are eating them in place of higher quality foods, not a good thing. I do know that some of the LC'ers say that sugar alcohols stall their weight loss. Also, sugar alcohols are calories perhaps your total coloric intake is too high. Hope this helps. Good luck and welcome.
  #138   ^
Old Tue, Feb-08-05, 21:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 167/146/130 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

bunnygirl5

Thanks so much for your reply. The Slim Fast bars say 2g of carbohydrates from sugar. On the back of the box it says 1g of sugar and 1g of starch equals 2g of carbs from sugar. That seems to be different than the way Atkins figures it out and that is the plan I am following.

You are right about the sugar alcohols. There is 16grams. I am going to stay away from them for a while and see what happens....but they are really good.
  #139   ^
Old Sun, Feb-13-05, 15:03

Plan: gastric bypass
Stats: 318/313/140 Female 5'1'
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up Marshmallow

I'm new. Was just looking for more low carb stuff to survive on after gastric by pass surgery.
Susan Maria has great products and low carb recipes.
Here's the marshmallow product and then you can go to her home page from there and look around.
http://store.bariatriceating.com/sufrma.html
  #140   ^
Old Sun, Feb-13-05, 15:18
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

Yeah, I see that Maltitol is the first ingredient .. No thanks.. That stuff makes me wanna lock DH out of the house when he eats it. The marshmellows that is...

Angel
  #141   ^
Old Fri, Feb-18-05, 20:08

Plan: LCHF/Keto
Stats: 162/116.6/117 Female 61 inches
BF:30.6%/22.0%/22.1%
Progress: 101%

I just wanted to say that I buy all natural peanut butter. No sugar added and you can get it without salt, too. The oil separates from the butter, so I pour it into another container and use it for stir fries. I keep the butter refrigerated too, for freshness.

As for my dislikes, I made some Carbquick waffles and pancakes and didn't like them at all. The biscuits were just "okay." But I'd like to add that I was never a "bread" person before. (Cakes and cookies are another story!!) I much prefer to make the "french toast" recipe with the pork rinds instead. Carbquick is probably full of hydrogenated fats, anyway! I only got it to make some biscuits for myself for X-mas morning because it's always been a tradition to have biscuits and orange syrup on X-mas morning. My son lives for it!

As for the Atkins pancake syrup, I like the flavor, but I do hate how watery it is.

I do not llike the Carb Options BBQ sauce. It's missing something major, and I'm not sure what it is.

As for the hydrogenated fats stuff - - I'd like to add that I've read that heating any fats changes the chemical make-up and can turn it to a trans fat. I think it depends on the type of fat - - all fats have different smoking temperatures. I dunno - - it seems like we can't win for losing. I definitely try to stay away from the hyrdrogenated. I'm also considering switching from butter to ghee, to lower my saturated fat intake.

I do try to avoid soy (and several other foods such as flax) as much as possible because I truly believe it affects my thyroid. Several years ago, I gave up meat and dairy and became vegan. I began consuming great quantities of soy in place of meat and dairy and within about four months, I began experiencing suppressed thyroid function symptoms. I resisted everything I read about soy being linked to suppressed thyroid because I didn't want to give-up being veg - - however, I hit rock bottom with symptoms, gave up being veg and am now I'm on medication. I just don't think it was coincidence that my symptoms began when my consumption of soy was so high. I'm just writing this because I know a lot of LC people are replacing wheat flour with soy flour in a lot of things like LC bread and such - - or soy milk for moo juice. I just don't want anyone else to go through what I did. Suppressed thyroid isn't just about gaining weight and being tired - - it affects your entire body.

Oh yeah, and I believe that stevia probably is healthier than any artificial sweetener. I'm trying SO HARD to get away from the cravings for cakes, cookies and the likes and feed my sweet tooth foods like berries or melon. My doctor is SO opposed to artificial sweeteners because he says studies showing that they cause the body to release insulin. (The brain "tastes" sweet and therefore tells the body it needs to release insulin.) So my goal is to eventually eat "whole foods" 80% of the time (baked and grilled foods with just some herbs and maybe olive oil)

Okay, I've rambled enough here.
  #142   ^
Old Sat, Feb-26-05, 19:36

Plan: gluten free atkins maint.
Stats: 250/155/180 Male 6 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 136%

Dempsters carbwise wheat tortillas.

I finnally bought some. I was in a rush today, and didnt manage to read the label. Turns out they contain white flour, partially hydrogenated canola and cottonseed oil and maltodextrin. What total and utter junk. I chucked them in the trash, because that garbage is never passing my lips.
  #143   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-05, 13:43

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

I never thought I'd rant about a low-carb product, but the Stonyfield Farms Moove Over Carbs yogurt ended up in my trashcan. Most LC products are cloyingly sweet but this yogurt had no sweeteners in it and it needed it. At least the yogurt was free from my supermarket (now I know why).
  #144   ^
Old Wed, Mar-09-05, 07:10

Stats: 185/158.5/150 Male 5'8"
BF:18.5%
Progress: 76%

Dreamfields Pasta... THREW ME OUT OF KETOSIS AFTER ONLY A FEW SERVINGS!

Don't laugh, but I liked Cheetos and Doritos Edge. I haven't seen them lately, so I guess majority rules.
  #145   ^
Old Wed, Mar-09-05, 07:12

HOOD CARB COUNTDOWN is the only low carb dairy I will eat. The yogurt is even relatively tastey. Dannon's was HORRID. So was one other brand I tried. I love Hood's Chocolate Milk.

Agree / Disagree.
  #146   ^
Old Wed, Mar-09-05, 07:59

Default Be careful

Be careful with products / companies who claim "low carb" something. People will be making a quick buck off of us. Pizza Parlors sell "Low Carb Pizza" - I bet it isn't low in carbs, but low'er' in carbs.
  #147   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-05, 20:14

Stats: 233/196/185 Female 5feet 6 and a half inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

I love Dremfields pasta. I eat in moderation though, not sure I trust their carb calculations
  #148   ^
Old Tue, Apr-12-05, 18:02
Registered Member

Stats: 291/215/150 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress:

I love the Hood's Carb Countdown milk- 2% and especially chocolate. Most mornings the chocolate milk is my breakfast. My husband loves it too, and he is 6' tall and weighs 170- so he doesn't need it, but just loves the taste. My son does too. we go through about 10 1/2 gallons a week! I also love the Carb Countdown yogurt. These 2 products have gottne me through many a sweet and chocolate craving.

I haven't been overly impressed with Carbquik. I tried muffins and they were horrible. There is something very bitter in it. I tried cheese biscuits and they were tolerable- for texture maybe. I might try regular bisuits and make a white gravy with cream and sausage or red-eye gravy and see if they are better. For pancakes Carbquik was not good. I've been using the ground porkskins for pancakes, and love them. I've also used the salt and pepper porkskins ground up and made small pancakes and eaten them with an egg and sausage between them- very good. I have used regular PS ground up and added Smucker's maple syrup and then cook sausage patties and eat it between 2 of the maple flavored pancakes- tastes like a McGriddle!

I can't use soy flours or flax flours because of my thyroid. Shouldn't use peanut products either, but I love PB so much I just have to have some. I like smucker's all natural. That's the only kind I have seen around here.

I like Smucker's SF maple syrup the best.

The porkskins that I use have no oils in them. I love the vinegar and salt that Tom's makes. Solves the craving for something crunchy and munchy.
  #149   ^
Old Tue, Apr-12-05, 20:56

Stats: 155/108/110 Female 64 inches
BF:33%/25%/22%
Progress: 104%

Wow, Whirlwind-- Ten and a half gallons a week?!?

I love the stuff too, but--

That must be a typo. Right? You meant one and a half gallons a week?

Cheers

Lucy
  #150   ^
Old Wed, Apr-13-05, 10:39

Plan: Ketogenic LCHF
Stats: 240/157/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Hmmm...I think she meant 10 half-gallon containers per week. So, 5 gallons total. Which is still a LOT. But I can see it; I have 4 kids who go through approx. 1 gal milk per day.