Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-02-18, 20:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 167.3/162/125.6 Female 157cm
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Cremorne says hullo.

Hello everyone.

I am gluten intolerant yet bread is my favourite food. I can put on a kilo of weight from a baguette, my stomach swells to awful and I can never lose weight while eating it. ..and I stick to sourdough and artisan bread.

Five years ago I did the Dukan diet to much success, losing 15kg in 6months and reaching my goal weight in Jan 2013 . A year later I shattered my ankle and couldn't walk for 3 months. Then I stopped walking (I had walked for 30 mins every day on Dukan) and gradually I began eating everything that was bad for me. Not rubbish - I eat good food, make it myself mostly from good wholefood ingredients. Its not that I eat burgers, or crisps or fast food but I eat too much and have a sedentary lifestyle.

I am now back to where I was before I lost weight. Five years older I now suffer from hypertension and soreness. We all have those lightbulb moments where we become decisive. Its usually the only time when we can make a success of our goals whatever they are. I had my MOMENT a week ago and I chose to go with Atkins. I chose Atkins because its been around for a long time and I hope its the last diet I go on and I hope it will get me on to my final last track. I am 67 years old and want to kick the overeating habit and the bread. I could live on bread, butter, vegemite, cheese and tomatoes with the occasional piece of fruit and a daily salad. Seriously! That would do me and I would be happy. And that food puts me in jeopardy. My blood pressure is very high. (I also drink too much - wine not water haha.)

I have found that I like structure around food plans. I don't want to have to figure it out otherwise I will go the easy route which is bread and cheese. Atkins has really nice recipes. They are palatable, somewhat modern and because of the fat, tasty and satisfying.

I was/am horrified at the fat content in Atkins which goes against decades of conditioning. I made some organic chicken sausages yesterday and wanted to drain the fat and realised I'm not meant to. In the end i had to but I'm working that out.

Anyway I've rambled on here but thats my history and reasons. I expect my first week on Atkins to have resulted in a 4kg loss and the 2nd week probably a wee bit less. I had bad Keto flu, thought I had the flu, but today is good and I feel energetic and positive. I feel in control, I feel I am eating really well, my house is tidy , my pantry is full of fabulous good fresh food and its costing me less because I'm not throwing out food I dont eat. And I get to eat cheese and avocado and have cream in my coffee. Whats not to like...

PS, Sorry for the loooooonnng post.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-02-18, 22:30
Registered Member

Plan: Keto + IF
Stats: 260/300/165 Male 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: -42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cremorne
I was/am horrified at the fat content in Atkins which goes against decades of conditioning. I made some organic chicken sausages yesterday and wanted to drain the fat and realised I'm not meant to. In the end i had to but I'm working that out.

Once you get over this you will go crazy every time you see someone taking the skin off chicken and pretending to like it.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-02-18, 23:24

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

You'll never have to eat steamed tasteless vegetables again but now you can
drown it in REAL butter. and watch your blood pressure go down!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-02-18, 23:38
Registered Member

Plan: Keto + IF
Stats: 260/300/165 Male 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: -42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
You'll never have to eat steamed tasteless vegetables again but now you can
drown it in REAL butter. and watch your blood pressure go down!

I literally did that today and 4 hours after my buttery broccoli meal my ketostix were deep purple.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-02-18, 23:51

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

When I think of all of the fake food people have been told to eat in the past 30+ years, it's just shocking because all it's done is make people sick with high blood pressure, diabetes etc....

A friend the other day talked about how horrible Fat free cheese is and how it tastes like card board!

Now we are gong back to real food and it's making us healthy. Real butter, real cream, real cheese, real meat with bones and skin.

It's is like a deprograming like Cremorne said, stopping ourselves from pouring off the fat but using it and keeping all of the flavor.

The best is making a cream gravy after cooking a steak. A little butter to deglaze the pan then pour in some cream.
Atkins talked about doing that in his old books. He said that we will eat richly and he was right.

If you find an old French cookbook, you will see that most of the recipes are made with real full fat ingredients with creamy sauces.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-18, 04:04

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Hullo Cremore
1951 was a very good year
When you say Atkins has good recipes, are you following the plan on their website? There are good recipes here in the Kitchen forum and at this website too. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/Recipes there is a two week start meal plan where everything is structured, shopping lists, etc.

You have found a great forum for information and support, all the best,
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-18, 05:00

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi, Cremorne. Welcome! I smiled when I read the food list which you said you could live on. Mine would be very similar. I agree that it takes real gumption/decisiveness to turn and go a whole different direction. Sometimes, I have to turn in increments.

There are quite a few of us in our sixties here.

I wish you happy, healthy Low-Carb days.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-18, 08:17
Registered Member

Plan: lower carb for T2 diabete
Stats: 178/178/150 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress:

Hello, Cremorne. Welcome to the forums. I'm a return-newbie, I guess.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-18, 02:11
Registered Member

BF:
Default Jey100

Thanks for the welcome Janet. I have seen a couple of your posts and recognised a fellow traveller. Is it because I'm also Janet? hehe.. As you thought, I was referring to the Atkins Diet website menus - will take a look at those on the link you posted. My goal is to normalise the dietary requirements as much as possible.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-18, 02:16
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Silver. I see you know your way around carbs. They say the food you crave is the worst for you. I used to subscribe to the view that the thing you crave is what you need. Proved wrong again..haha!!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-18, 02:24
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Meme#1. You are so right about processed and substitute food. I have been for fresh, original, unprocessed food for a very long time. When I was in my young teens my mother told me that I should never eat margarine - I should always choose butter. She was a fan of Dr Vogel way back when. She knew health food before it was a thing. I chose a long time ago to eat full fat dairy if I was going to eat it at all. I look forward to a new way of eating - after just a week of not eating bread my bones are already feeling less sore.