Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Apr-07-12, 07:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/169.6/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsteen
Can you explain what you mean here, Pam.. To the uninitiated it seems that you are saying that 1000 calories a day is too high for maintenance, but later you seem to be saying that you are maintaining at between 1400-2200 calories daily.

That was how I understood it too. Since I'm short and older, I'd love to see exactly how you are maintaining.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Apr-08-12, 05:48

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsteen
Can you explain what you mean here, Pam.. To the uninitiated it seems that you are saying that 1000 calories a day is too high for maintenance, but later you seem to be saying that you are maintaining at between 1400-2200 calories daily.

I re read it, two other did, and we 'all got it'.

But: 1000 calories on a low carb way of eating is way too low for a full grown (even if you ARE short, as the OP suggests is why) woman.

I ate about 2400 cals untill I hit around 190 lbs. then dropped to a cycling (with weight lifting/exercise) calories (although carbs were never over 40net) type calories then to lose the rest of my weight.

1000 calories on a HIGH FAT LOW CARB way of life just slows the thyroid down and doesn't teach you 'how to maintain'. I certainly wouldn't want to only eat 1000 calories the rest of my journey and life.

Hope that explains it.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Apr-08-12, 10:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

Yes, thanks Pam. That's clear now.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Apr-08-12, 11:24

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

You've gotten some excellent advice here. I too quit smoking - going on 29 years ago - and put on 15 lbs so fast it made my head spin. And I'm still working on taking it off. Replacing smoking with exercise seems to correlate with success in staying quit.

Nicotine is a mild stimulant and there is no doubt that the metabolism drops when you eliminate it.

I know you say you can't exercise because of your knees, but there are many ways to accomplish that. Can you walk? Even slow walking is good exercise; keeping your joints moving will reduce the pain. Weight training has the advantage of building muscle around the bad joint, relieving the stress on it. And muscle burns more calories than fat. Pilates is gentle on the joints and a good instructor will help you modify it to suit your situation; Callanetics, as Kirsteen mentions, is another good option.

Congratulations on quitting and good luck in getting your weight back under control.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Apr-08-12, 11:49

Plan: Suzanne Somers; LC
Stats: 182.5/158/105 Female 5'
BF:Melting!
Progress: 32%

good advice Kristeen about Callanetics - I tried that years ago and remember really liking it - but back then I would just ride my bicycle all over out in the country and was an avid Jazzercizer. I had a knee arthroscopy and was told that cycling would be easy on bad knees - also water exercises. I was told I no longer had a shock absorber there so no more running and jumping - I did modified versions of jazzercise and bellydancing for exercise. Now I am facing a hip replacement next month and someone has suggested something called T Tapp which is supposed to be for people who can't exercise. I am going to look into it.
Kat
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Apr-08-12, 23:12

Plan: low carbs/ NO SUGAR
Stats: 110/100/95 Female 4/11
BF:
Progress: 67%

thanks for the advise all!
Will have a look at doing some callanetics, I live in Australia so it not very well known but I will have a look on line.
As for the callories your all right 1000 is way too low maintain a normal, productive a happy life.I will have to come to a realisation that I am getting older (BOO HOO! - I'm 36 but still look like I'm in my 20's ) so I will look to increase gradually, I'm making some coconut bark( with flax seeds crushed- yummo) shortly so I'll be snacking on that tonight.
Thanks again, I will let you know how I'm going