Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-25-08, 03:41

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Eating to Keep Diabetes in Check

From the New York Times
25 May, 2008

Eating to Keep Diabetes in Check

By PETER JARET
  • One in four people born today are expected to develop Type 2 diabetes during their lifetimes.
  • Shedding excess weight and exercising more can cut Type 2 diabetes risk by 58 percent.
  • Favoring foods in their unrefined state -- brown rice and whole grains, for instance -- can help keep blood sugar levels from spiking.
  • Exercise improves blood sugar control by increasing insulin sensitivity.

As rates of Type 2 diabetes continue to rise around the world, experts say we mostly have ourselves to blame. Genes certainly play a role in determining risk. But the surge of new cases of this debilitating disease is caused mostly by poor diets and lack of physical activity.

By all rights, the prescription should be simple: lose weight if you are overweight, and get more exercise.

Easy? Of course not. Experts have yet to come up with anything close to a surefire approach to help people shed pounds. And dietary recommendations to prevent or slow diabetes have often been contradictory and confusing. Nearly 30 years after the American Diabetes Association recommended a low-fat, high-carbohydrate diet to control diabetes, overturning the high-fat, low-carbohydrate approach of earlier decades, controversy still swirls around the amount and types of carbohydrates to eat.

Much of the debate focuses on the glycemic index, a measure of how carbohydrate-rich foods affect blood sugar, and whether these effects play a significant role in the progression of Type 2 diabetes. Foods high on the glycemic index, like sugared beverages, cake and white rice, are known to send blood sugar levels up sharply after a meal. Foods low on the index, like broccoli, lettuce, brown rice and whole grains, on the other hand, take longer to digest and hence keep blood sugar levels on a more even keel.

The American Diabetes Association has decided that patients should not be counseled to take the glycemic index into account when choosing foods. “Although it is clear that carbohydrates do have differing glycemic responses,” its policy statement declares, “the data reveal no clear trend in outcome benefits.”

That’s a mistake, says Dr. David Ludwig, an endocrinologist at Children’s Hospital in Boston and an associate professor at Harvard Medical School. “High-glycemic foods like refined grains raise blood sugar levels two to three times higher than unprocessed foods with a low glycemic index,” he said. When blood sugar levels spike, the body must churn out insulin to move glucose out of the bloodstream and into cells, where it is used for energy.

“If you’re eating high-glycemic foods meal after meal, snack after snack, day after day, that’s going to put a lot of stress on the system that produces insulin,” Dr. Ludwig said. “If the system is already compromised due to a family history of diabetes, those rapid swings of blood sugar could make a difference between remaining healthy or decompensating into Type 2 diabetes.”

Dr. Ludwig cites a study he conducted in which rats fed foods high on the glycemic index lost lean muscle mass, gained body fat and began to lose their ability to control blood sugar.

“A high percentage of insulin-producing cells in the high-glycemic rats were undergoing a process of destruction, disruptions in their architecture and scarring,” Dr. Ludwig said. The same thing, he suspects, happens in people.

But so far, evidence from human studies has been sketchy. In one recent Canadian study, there were no differences in blood sugar control among 162 volunteers assigned to one of three very different diets for a year: a low-carbohydrate regimen; a high-carbohydrate, low-glycemic-index diet; or foods high on the glycemic scale. Fasting glucose, a test widely used to monitor diabetes risk, actually rose in the group eating the low-glycemic foods.

A second study of 1,898 people found that risk of Type 2 diabetes was the same whether people reported eating foods high or low on the glycemic index.

“The notion that glycemic index matters makes intuitive sense,” said Dr. John M. Miles, a diabetes expert at the Mayo Clinic. “A lot of people have strong feelings on the subject. But the evidence just isn’t there.”

Dr. Xavier Pi-Sunyer, an endocrinologist and diabetes expert at St Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital in New York, agreed. Given the new findings, “It seems unwise at this point to burden Type 2 diabetes patients with trying to pick and choose among different high- and low-glycemic-index foods,” he wrote in a recent review of the evidence.

But Dr. Thomas Wolever, a University of Toronto researcher who led the Canadian trial, noted that those who ate low-glycemic-index foods showed improvements in blood sugar control after meals, which may be a more important measure of glucose control than the fasting glucose test. They also had reductions in levels of C-reactive protein, a marker for inflammation that also appears to be linked to diabetes risk.

Low-glycemic diets may have another crucial advantage, Dr. Wolever suggested: they help some people shed pounds. “I’ve had people tell me it’s the only way they’ve been able to lose weight,” he said.

While no single diet works for everyone, losing weight may be the single most effective way to lower Type 2 diabetes risk. Evidence for that comes from a major trial sponsored by the National Institutes of Health, in which a randomly assigned group of overweight volunteers with early signs of diabetes were encouraged to lose about 7 percent of their body weight and engage in 150 minutes of moderate exercise weekly.

Over the next three years, only 5 percent of the lifestyle intervention group went on to develop diabetes each year, compared with 11 percent of volunteers in a control group. Weight loss and exercise proved more effective than a leading diabetes medication in preventing Type 2 diabetes.

“There’s no question that if we can get people to lose 5 or 10 pounds, we’ll be doing them a world of good,” Dr. Wolever said. The confounding question remains how.

http://health.nytimes.com/ref/healt...html?ref=health
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-25-08, 05:59
Registered Member

Plan: Neocarnivore
Stats: 375/345/250 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Thirty years after swerving away from the sane approach, the ADA is still making enough diabetics to keep the organization rich and important. Is it any wonder I'm a cynic?
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-25-08, 07:57

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

I saw how "helpful" the ADA recommendations were for my grandparents and now my dad. One grandfather died after several heart attacks and strokes, the other grandfather had both his legs amputated and died after suffering with alzheimers. My grandmother had dementia before she died, and now my dad is steadily gaining weight after his type 2 dx.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-25-08, 08:01
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

heartscan.blogspot.com recently showed this (and more):

The American Diabetes Association:
proudly creating and killing off diabetics
one expensive limb-heart-eye at a time
since 1940.

(Primary sponsor: Cadbury-Schweppes, the largest candy and soda manufacturer on planet earth.)

#5   ^
Old Sun, May-25-08, 08:04
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

One year? People eat this sort of diet for a couple decades before developing diabetes.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-25-08, 08:12

Plan: My own
Stats: 170/153/155 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default that study was bogus

The canadian study this article mentions was bogus in that the low-carb diet wasn't low carb. Weight of the Evidence has the scoop.

Low-GI Diet for 1-year Suggests Improvements for T2DM?
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-25-08, 10:34
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

My sister's FIL was recently dxed with T2. He went low carb after seeing my BIL drop 15 lbs, just from giving up wheat foods. We'd been sending him references from this site and others, but it was his son's weight loss that did it. Not only did he drop weight in just a few weeks, but his numbers are good. He is astounded at the advice he was given by his doc - "It was totally wrong", he said. He's PISSED.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-25-08, 12:11

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I have a colleague who had weight loss surgery, is almost sixty, can hardly walk, and has full-blown type II diabetes. Her doctors told her she should eat just like she used to, jut smaller portions. She still eats cake! Another colleague was diagnosed with prediabetes and nearly lost her eyesight before they finally decided she had real diabetes.

Janine
  #9   ^
Old Sun, May-25-08, 13:46

Plan: My own
Stats: 208/180/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress:

The most dishonest part of the article is "Foods low on the index, like broccoli, lettuce, brown rice and whole grains, on the other hand, take longer to digest and hence keep blood sugar levels on a more even keel." Lumping groccoli and lettuce in with brown rice and whole grains is really criminal.

The following links are a repeat of the message I put on the main forum:

Of possible interest to readers, are three papers recently published in Nutrition & Metabolism (available without subscription):

1. Accurso A, Bernstein RK, Dahlqvist A, Draznin B, Feinman RD, Fine EJ, Gleed A, Jacobs DB, Larson G, Lustig RH et al: Dietary carbohydrate restriction in type 2 diabetes mellitus and metabolic syndrome: time for a critical appraisal. Nutr Metab (Lond) 2008, 5(1):9.

http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.c...43-7075-5-9.pdf

2. Westman EC, Vernon MC: Has carbohydrate-restriction been forgotten as a treatment for diabetes mellitus? A perspective on the ACCORD study design. Nutr Metab (Lond) 2008, 5:10.

http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.c...3-7075-5-10.pdf

3. Nielsen JV, Joensson EA: Low-carbohydrate diet in type 2 diabetes: stable improvement of bodyweight and glycemic control during 44 months follow-up. Nutr Metab (Lond) 2008, 5(1):14.

http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.c...3-7075-5-14.pdf

In Accurso, et al. 24 authors lay out the positive effects of carbohydrate restriction. Meant as a rebuttal to the American Diabetes Association 2008 Nutritional Guidelines which damned low-carbohydrate diets with faint praise, it provides the underlying biochemistry for carbohydrate restriction. Nielsen, et al. shows the persistent benefits of such a diet at 44 months and Westman et al. provides a likely explanations of the unexpected deaths in the ACCORD study.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-25-08, 14:56

Plan: lowcarb/high fat/Failsafe
Stats: 280/245/150 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Quote:
(Primary sponsor: Cadbury-Schweppes, the largest candy and soda manufacturer on planet earth.)
No wonder standard dietary advice is basically a big advert for superfluous sugary treats.

Oh hey, new pre-diabetes patient! Do you LIKE chocolate? Well we have some good news, you can eat it every day. Carbs make people happy, it's been proven with science! Chocolate deprivation leads to diet failure, especially for women with their crazy hormones. What, you've got hypoglycemia? The best thing for that is soda. Oh, you say that makes things worse? Well use it in moderation.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-26-08, 09:17

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

I was actually TOLD by a DOCTOR once to solve my hypoglycemic episodes by eating candy. Telling diabetics to keep eating carbs to be "healthy" is like telling a person with gluten problems to keep eating lots of gluten but pop a pill for their problems (I don't know if one really exists, just an example). The well-duh response is of course QUIT EATING THE STUFF THAT MAKES YOU SICK!!!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-26-08, 09:23

Plan: VLC
Stats: 198/150/145 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

"Foods in their natural state, like whole grains..." Those type of quotes crack me up. There's wheat fields around here, and I can tell you no one eats wheat in its natural state. It requires a lot of processing to be edible.

My preferred "healthy whole grain" serving? 0.

But wait, the ADA wants us all to remember that diabeeeetus is a progressive disease. It's not the bad diet that causes the amputations, blindness, and organ failure, it's just the nature of the beast! Keep on eating your cake and drinking your sodas!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, May-26-08, 09:57

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
"Foods in their natural state, like whole grains..." Those type of quotes crack me up. There's wheat fields around here, and I can tell you no one eats wheat in its natural state. It requires a lot of processing to be edible.

LOL...no kidding! I DARE anyone to pick some wheat off the stalk and eat it and then tell me it is "natural" when it is all ground up, treated with yeast, kneaded, baked for an hour and sliced.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, May-26-08, 13:28

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

I'm waiting for an advertisement by some beer company plastered on the walls of some AA meeting room "Hey did you know that even though you are an alcoholic, you can still drink beer? You just need to drink in moderation!"
  #15   ^
Old Mon, May-26-08, 20:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baerdric
Thirty years after swerving away from the sane approach, the ADA is still making enough diabetics to keep the organization rich and important. Is it any wonder I'm a cynic?

You are not alone!

I am watching my Mom be taken away from years of being a faithful ADA Diabetic. She is now on medicines to balance the medicines and other medicines to keep certain medicines from killing her......

She is what I believe the ADA is after....a long term cash cow.....