Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-11-17, 19:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 223/208/150 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Large Ketones

I'm wondering - why don't I ever have large ketones? I've slipped up I think twice in the past 6-7 weeks that I've been doing this, but I never get anything higher than moderate ketones. Does it matter? What does it mean to have lrge ketones?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-11-17, 19:49

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

It is my opinion that it does not matter and can in fact be confusing. If you follow my journal I'm measuring for this month Pee and Breath ketones or Peetones and Breathtones along with activity and estimated net carb count.

There are certain patterns that emerge but my guess is that if you see something on the stick, stop fussing - you are there.

Last edited by thud123 : Thu, May-11-17 at 20:12. Reason: spell and add idea
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-12-17, 05:29

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Urine ketones won't be elevated unless blood ketones have been elevated some time in the fairly recent past. But it is possible for blood ketones to be elevated without urine ketones being elevated. A few things, level of hydration can affect ketone levels--drink twice as much water, pee twice as much, and the concentration can go down. Also the kidneys get a big vote on ketone levels, the kidney's are capable of reabsorbing ketones from the bladder so that very little ketones appear in the urine, even at starvation levels of ketosis, one study in the 60's had urine ketones very low even at five weeks or more of starvation in obese subjects given as little as 8.5 grams of glucose a day--urine ketones disappeared, blood ketones remained as high as without the glucose. Also, this tiny amount of glucose spared 12 grams of protein a day in these subjects--about enough to make that 8.5 grams of glucose they were fed. I like the urine strips, they help me stay honest on a ketogenic diet, I try not to read too much into them.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-13-17, 15:58

BF:

Thank you both!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-13-17, 23:36

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

Are you diabetic or 'pre'?

I read a link from this site not too long ago, how some diabetics aren't good ketone producers...I personally never turned the sticks dark even on induction levels. (T2)
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-14-17, 06:36

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonwtwindo
Are you diabetic or 'pre'?

I read a link from this site not too long ago, how some diabetics aren't good ketone producers...I personally never turned the sticks dark even on induction levels. (T2)

I'm not, actually. It does run on my father's side of the family so I do worry about it a bit.