Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1936   ^
Old Fri, Sep-08-17, 08:17

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

I am making lots of changes currently - going to work on eating lower lectin foods for the most part, and increasing my intake of foods that provide quercetin, and polyphenols, plus adding a supplement that provides a good dose of bioavailable quercetin.

Eno - have a great weekend.

My family is facing a health crisis, so I'm being quite prayerful right now - more than my usual daily practice.
My husband is under a lot of stress, facing a test that means he either does or doesn't get his Bachelors. Hard for a man using to his academic success to on the last course, hit such a roadblock. Not the first time he is taking this test.
Sponsored Links
  #1937   ^
Old Mon, Sep-11-17, 11:00
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi-
hope everyone in Florida is ok.

Last night grilled burgers and made grilled eggplant, salad and mac & cheese for DH. For my carb had an English muffin as my bun.

tonight's planned rm: salad, cole slaw, roasted turkey breast half, leftover eggplant and pasta. I'm not sure what I'll have for carb.

later-
E
  #1938   ^
Old Mon, Sep-11-17, 20:29

Waving Hi. Struggling, but good news is the family member having a health crisis is doing better, hopefully has turned a corner.

DH has his test later this week, studying hard.

Liking the new supplements I am taking, and that I am increasing fruit, nuts and yogurt as my carbs. Now, to cut back on amount of food, and those little cheats that are daily to q 3-4 days. <shaking head at self>.
  #1939   ^
Old Tue, Sep-12-17, 10:30
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

hi-
glad family is better.
Also happy YOU are doing better!

Tonight's planned RM: salad, slaw and a turkey salad sandwich. My carb will be the bread.
Then DH wants to go to the movies. He will have popcorn, I will not.
Before I did this WOL I always had popcorn at the movies- now for the pat 14 years no corn.
later-
E
  #1940   ^
Old Wed, Sep-13-17, 07:13

Eno, reading your continued success helps me so much. It doesn't take much - one call to my mom, the realization we have expensive issues to yet deal with re our house, and I am honestly just stressed close to my max.

I don't have time for dealing with how I am when max stressed.

Weight is not good right now. Haven't quit, but it isn't helping the stress level.

Blah.
  #1941   ^
Old Wed, Sep-13-17, 12:28
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

hi-
no blah. Please figure out something else to deal with the stress. Do meditation, yoga, take a walk, call a friend, take a long hot bath (calgon take me away!)- just don't use food. You being sick will not help the stress at all. The better you feel the more able you are to cope.

Going to visit family in California- 6 am flight! I'm taking a cooked burger and a bag of cut radishes and celery with me to the airport. Breakfast!

Tonight's planned RM: salad, eggplant, chicken sausage patties, and for my carb half a bagel. DH also wants pasta.

later-
E
  #1942   ^
Old Wed, Sep-13-17, 16:21

Plan: Carb Addicts
Stats: 175/154/135 Female 5 5'
BF:
Progress: 53%

When i am in despair over out of control eating i think of you BOTH Eno & Patricia &
your examples & great success automatically shines a light in my life!

Seriously you both are great role models. Grateful to have found you.

I heard Vitamin C and B vitamins can help with stress.
Also green teas,(but not on an empty stomach)
red bush teas, hot water with lemon

My main Carbohydrate plans these days are to include: starchy vegetables, 1/4 pink grapefruit/ small orange, Quinoa (for wholegrain), & yogurt and maybe dark chocolate...Oh and those unsweetened cappuccino coffees. (Not all on the same day or at once)

Are the polyphenols, plus adding a supplement that provides a good dose of bioavailable quercetin anti-inflammatory substances Patricia?
I heard that quercetin can be found in apples too. (Wish i could eat those, used to love them)
And does decreasing lectins decrease water retention also?

When i eat those 'FODMAP' containing carbohydrates they cause more water to be drawn into my digestive system too & can leave me feeling really uncomfortable.
Suppose that's why portion control is so important.
  #1943   ^
Old Thu, Sep-14-17, 07:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryh
Are the polyphenols, plus adding a supplement that provides a good dose of bioavailable quercetin anti-inflammatory substances Patricia?
I heard that quercetin can be found in apples too. (Wish i could eat those, used to love them)
And does decreasing lectins decrease water retention also?

When i eat those 'FODMAP' containing carbohydrates they cause more water to be drawn into my digestive system too & can leave me feeling really uncomfortable.
Suppose that's why portion control is so important.

Maryh,

I am not doing well right now, and don't honestly have the energy to look up the articles I was reading it. Please google the topics of quercetin and polyphenols, and know that there are lists of foods (and herbs etc.) for these.

I wish you and eno all the best, I am off to my journal and won't be posting for awhile. Otherwise I will say something I regret.
  #1944   ^
Old Fri, Sep-15-17, 02:32

BF:

Hope it wasn't something i said Patricia; if it was annoying asking those questions i'm really sorry.
Just was curious as about what their purposes was?

Hope your feeling better soon!
Take care!
  #1945   ^
Old Fri, Sep-15-17, 05:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryh
Hope it wasn't something i said Patricia; if it was annoying asking those questions i'm really sorry.
Just was curious as about what their purposes was?

Hope your feeling better soon!
Take care!

No Mary, it's not you, life is just draining and difficult for me right now. Maxed on stress. Please do look up the quercetin especially.

Here are two links re the quercetin: Quercetin- food list and one discussing possible drug interactions - please read (though I take a tiny dose, still important to know): side effects and drug interactions with quercetin

and lastly, re polyphenols which are an antioxidant, a top 25polyphenol rich foods list:
Top 25 List re polyphenols

Last edited by patriciakr : Fri, Sep-15-17 at 05:24.
  #1946   ^
Old Fri, Sep-15-17, 16:00

BF:

Ok Patricia; Thanks so much for those links!
  #1947   ^
Old Tue, Sep-19-17, 16:56
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

hi-
back from my trip. Had a great visit with my aging family member who is facing the challenges of aging and having to make the transition to living in some type of supportive environment. Sigh.

Pat- I apologize for making any comment that was less then supportive. I have only tremendous respect for you and in no way meant to judge. I hope you can accept my apology.
I will also post this in your journal.
Later-
E
  #1948   ^
Old Thu, Sep-21-17, 10:23

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enomarb
hi-
no blah. Please figure out something else to deal with the stress. Do meditation, yoga, take a walk, call a friend, take a long hot bath (calgon take me away!)- just don't use food. You being sick will not help the stress at all. The better you feel the more able you are to cope.

Stress does make sticking to a healthy eating plan which entails less carbs throughout the day extra challenging as carbs do act kind of like tranquillisers. I use bananas for example before an exam and before bed and they definitely help with relaxation.
Irritability and frustration are always pronounced- especially at the start of being on plan- That's the truth.

Still though there's no harm in stating the obvious not to use food for stress relief- i for one; appreciate the friendly reminder Eno
& your forthright, direct approach.
After reading your posts for all these years; i know you got the best of intentions!

So nice of you to visit your ageing family member at this most challenging time. It's an extremely sad reality of life to have to face.
  #1949   ^
Old Thu, Sep-21-17, 13:30
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

hi-
thanks. I'm so glad I went- I just got a call that while visiting another family member she fell, sustained multiple fractures in her face and is having surgery in a couple of hours. I'm sick over it- and amazing thankful I went.

It's a holiday for me- Jewish New Year- so having a large dinner tonight that will be late. I typically skip dessert and have whatever they serve as my carb.

later-
E
  #1950   ^
Old Thu, Sep-21-17, 17:34

BF:

The poor lady; dreadful news.
Hope all goes well with the operation and her recovery.
At least she'll be looked after in the hospital & hopefully receive good pain relief too.
Your visit seemed v.timely-
I'm sure it would have helped her realise there are people who care
about what happens to her & that she's not forgotten about.

Best wishes for your new Year!