Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-12-02, 10:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%
Unhappy Binge Monster

The Binge Monster is out of hibernation. I thought he was gone for good, but no such luck.

I've been down in the dumps for the last few days, and today is my normal weekly weigh in day. I am up 1/2 pound. While I know that this is normal fluctuations and is nothing to get worried about - the Binge Monster took this time to roar, and boy is he loud!

I haven't given in to him, and I won't. I've been eating on plan, no cheats. A few days ago I stopped feeling like I've lost weight, I started feeling fat again. I no longer see that I've lost weight in my face, legs, etc. All I see is the fat. I think this opened the door for the Binge Monster.

Going to the grocery store today, and walking past all the breads, cookies, no-no fruits and candy.... I was starting to actually salivate. I am not craving these foods, my mind wants them. More specifically the Binge Monster wants them. Today I decided to add one "safe" thing (occasionaly) to my eating plan. Strawberries. I had two, and they tasted wonderfull! They settled my mind cravings for a bit, but I know that the Binge Monster is there, and will try to get me to go eat the entire carton. I WILL NOT LET HIM.

I need some words of encouragement, I need to know that others have been through this and beaten the Binge Monster into submission.

(BTW: I don't actually have voices in my head, it is just easier for me to deal with as the Binge Monster!)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-12-02, 10:24

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

I think we all have those sorts of voices in our heads--a conversation with ourselves--so don't worry that I'd worry about you!

I find it useful to figure out what else I might be hungry for--often I'm actually "hungry" for a nap, for a long bath alone, for a phone call to an old friend, for a hug, for sex, to express my feelings, to have time in the peace and quiet of nature.... The cravings, for me, have often been more emotional than literal hunger, and figuring out the emotion and feeding IT rather than the nattering carb monster inside me helps me tremendously.

You did good by resisting at the store and substituting two strawberries! What willpowerful you have--I'm very impressed!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-12-02, 10:31

Plan: low carb
Stats: 146/132/130
BF:
Progress: 88%
Default Monster

Hi Talon

I know what you mean about this hungry, nasty monster yakking away in your head. What works for me is starving him instead of fighting him or yelling at him. I starve him by never ever giving him what he wants [mashed potatoes and French bread, mostly] and by poisoning him with healthy fats and proteins. Mine has shrunk considerably since I have figured him out. Funny that this voice is referred to as "he" and "him." This might have some bearing on whose voice from the past "he" may represent?