Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-11, 18:54

Plan: 160g animal protein/day
Stats: 185/167/165 Female 5'10
BF:35
Progress: 90%
Default A few slip-ups

I tried to start the Induction Phase of the Atkins diet on Wednesday, January 12. But on the 14th, my period hit and I gave into the sugar craving. Isn't it funny that periods make us women bloated, but we crave the foods that make it even worse? So I ate some sugary granola cereal and a chocolate chip cookie that day.

Then I tried to re-start Induction on the 18th. It went better. A few days later, the cravings weren't as bad, but I gave into that same granola cereal twice on 2 different days.

My sugar cravings haven't been there for the past 4 days, but I did 20 minutes of a high-impact aerobic workout video on Sunday in 2 different sections and I got extremely depressed. I only get the extreme depression if the workout is high impact or a 4+ hour hike (not that I've hiked like that in the past 5 years). I read other peoples' posts about this topic and a lot said that it might have to do with low blood sugar. I wasn't craving sugar, but I decided to eat an apple to see if my bad mood would go away. It helped a little, but I'm still unsure of that theory.

I think that I'm gonna stick to walking for now so I won't have the need to eat sugar.

I am starting to see a few positive changes since I started eating low carb again. I don't feel bloated all the time! We went to Hawaii (big island) on Dec 31st for 10 days and I was so bloated, I had a gut hanging out over my swimsuit. I DEFINITELY see a change in that department now. I also don't have a "tired feeling" after I eat, as I used to when I would eat meals that were high in carbs.

I think I was using refined carbs as a coping mechanism for whenever I would start to feel sad or hopeless. It worked as a great temporary security blanket keeping all of the negative emotions down for a while. Now, I have to face those emotions head-on and be present with them. I know that sounds unpleasant, but it is a positive thing. I'm actually facing these problems instead of covering them up with food!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-27-11, 10:50

Plan: Meats & Veggies
Stats: 255/167/160 Female 66 inches
BF:??/36%/25%
Progress: 93%

Don't beat yourself up too hard. I find that if I slip-up at all during the PMS zone, I get terrible sugar cravings when the dreaded period hits. And the cravings are actually worse than nic-fits. If I'm good throughout PMS, then I get no cravings. Maybe when you started Induction had a whole lot to do with the intensity.

Maybe you should skip the workouts until you're really into the swing of low-carb. If your body is still adjusting its fuel source, then workouts will just deplete your stores and make you crave a quick fix. Once you're body is adjusted to using fats as a fuel, the post-workout munchies won't be nearly as bad.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-27-11, 17:40

Plan: 160g animal protein/day
Stats: 185/167/165 Female 5'10
BF:35
Progress: 90%

Walking seems to be the best option for me right now because I don't get the extreme mental low as I did when I tried jumping and running in place for ten-minute intervals. Man, I can't believe how out of shape I am!

Like I said, I just had the apple because I heard low blood sugar might be the cause of being extremely depressed after an intense workout.