Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-21-10, 23:28

Plan: Paleo-ish general LC
Stats: 151/119/118 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default *&%#~ Atkins Bars!

I usually take a once-a-month break one day cheat and have anything I want, which almost always entails real sugary treats and carbs, not lc substitutes. I’ve developed the discipline to go RIGHT BACK on plan the very next day, until the next planned cheat. It’s worked for me for a long time.

But, I’ve met my match. My lean fiancé, who has done this with me for years, has decided he wants to have Atkins bars around to munch on. I don’t remember how one of these got in the house to begin with, but now he reminds me to buy them and there are a bunch in a bowl on top of the refrigerator. That cursed company has come out with a fudgy brownie flavor that neither of us can resist. I have not been able to keep away from these since late September.

They don’t exactly stall me, but they certainly don’t qualify as Paleo,nor meat &egg, and I have no idea how they affect my HDL. I have asked him to take them to work, no go. Having him hide them in the house is an exercise in futility, as he is blind. I’m stuck in bar heck, I tell you. I’ve warned him how they give me such horrible gas, but that hasn’t worked either!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-22-10, 10:28

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 218/175.4/113 Female 62 in
BF:
Progress: 41%

Never tried them, and now I probably never will! They sound lethal.

Personally, if they were that much of a temptation for me, I don't think I'd take no for an answer about getting them out of the house. I'd give s.o. the option of removing them immediately or having me throwing them in the garbage. But, that's just me. Hope you can find what works for you.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-22-10, 17:37

BF:

Hee hee, well, he's got nowhere to remove them TO (no going to work till Jan), and I guess it's not fair to deprive him of treats, (especiially as he can't jump in a car and go eat something away from the house) so I'm gonna have to bite the bullet. So far today I've invoked my famous discipline and have not even thought of them! But running around crazy Xmas shopping helped with that.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-23-10, 09:07

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 218/175.4/113 Female 62 in
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikemice
Hee hee, well, he's got nowhere to remove them TO (no going to work till Jan), and I guess it's not fair to deprive him of treats, (especiially as he can't jump in a car and go eat something away from the house) so I'm gonna have to bite the bullet. So far today I've invoked my famous discipline and have not even thought of them! But running around crazy Xmas shopping helped with that.

Good for you. Maybe a day away from them is enough to break their power over you, lol.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-24-10, 10:00

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 231/212/185 Male 5 feet 10 inches
BF:22%

All the low carb supplements like bars and powder bloat me like crazy so i cannot use any of them and yes they side tracked me like hell last time i was on low carb
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Dec-24-10, 10:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228/156/140 Female 66 inches
BF:22%
Progress: 82%

yeah I so can not eat thoughs.. they are WAY to sweet.. and the more you eat.. the more you crave. They were the end to my low carbing years ago. I got to the point that sugar was all I craved. So this time around .. NO Atkins products AT ALL for me.. all stuff I make myself
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Dec-24-10, 10:31
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, BFFM, BFL
Stats: 130/113/112 Female 64
BF:20%/17%/15%
Progress: 94%

Bars have always been a weakness of mine, low carb, high protein, high carb, it didn't matter. I got used to being able to eat clif bars when I was running alot and was in the habit of eating bars regularly. Last Jan. 1 I decided my goal for the year was to drop all bars from my diet. I have made that goal and am going for a second year with no bars in my eating plan. For me, it's all or nothing. If I have just one bar, I'll end up eating more. The great thing is that my husband loves bars and always has them around. He likes the high protein Metrx bars and cookies. I have really had to learn to use my willpower this year since they are all over the condo.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Dec-25-10, 13:47

BF:

We've dodged bullets time and time again with these things while they just make them more and more wicked sweet. It's funny how I can do my monthly cheat and get right back on the horse after I eat the 'real' junk for one day but the 'LC' prepackaged junk derails me (us) for months. Lots of mental deception going on there, I guess, at least in my case.

Well, so far so good. Nothing but meats, egg, spinach and CO the last few days, 'cept for Xmas dinner.

starrunner and realdeal in my heavy bodyblding days I vacuumed up the metrx bars and suchlike-I knew they were sugary but fooled myself they were you know, "high protein!"

Oh, the boyfriend? He can eat two of these bars plus coconut cream pie and be in ketosis the next day. He could at least not announce that fact to me....

Last edited by Ilikemice : Sat, Dec-25-10 at 14:00.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Dec-25-10, 13:57

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candiflip
yeah I so can not eat thoughs.. they are WAY to sweet.. and the more you eat.. the more you crave. They were the end to my low carbing years ago. I got to the point that sugar was all I craved. So this time around .. NO Atkins products AT ALL for me.. all stuff I make myself

And the Keto bars some years ago, they were good. you had to order them. I ordered a box of 12, they were expensive, intended to eat one a day, well, by the end of day one, I had eaten 3! Not what I intended.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Dec-25-10, 14:25
Registered Member

Quote:
We've dodged bullets time and time again with these things while they just make them more and more wicked sweet. It's funny how I can do my monthly cheat and get right back on the horse after I eat the 'real' junk for one day but the 'LC' prepackaged junk derails me (us) for months. Lots of mental deception going on there, I guess, at least in my case.

Well, so far so good. Nothing but meats, egg, spinach and CO the last few days, 'cept for Xmas dinner.

starrunner and realdeal in my heavy bodyblding days I vacuumed up the metrx bars and suchlike-I knew they were sugary but fooled myself they were you know, "high protein!"

Oh, the boyfriend? He can eat two of these bars plus coconut cream pie and be in ketosis the next day. He could at least not announce that fact to me....

I know what you mean--my husband can eat 2 or more Metrx 100 bars a day no problem. It amazes me how much he can eat and not gain any weight
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Dec-25-10, 14:34
Registered Member

Quote:
And the Keto bars some years ago, they were good. you had to order them. I ordered a box of 12, they were expensive, intended to eat one a day, well, by the end of day one, I had eaten 3! Not what I intended.

I think I remember those.. I remember there was a hi protein cookie made by WorldWide Protein, I used to get those at the gym all the time. They also had Double Chocolats and Peanut Betterbody bars (Designer Whey) that were pretty good. The other one I remember that isn't around anymore was the Ironman PR bar, I think Twinlab made it. It's like a trip down memory lane today

I need to refocus and get these bars out of my head
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-11, 04:48
Registered Member

Plan: experimenting
Stats: 140/140/120 Female 171cm / 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%

If it's a problem for you, I recommend getting your husband to keep them hidden somewhere you wouldn't look for them.

Keep up the good work.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-11, 16:35

BF:

Well,like I said, that wouldn't work, 'cause he can't see. Anywhere he would "hide" them, I would find. It's okay though, I've cut way back on consumption and am back on track!
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jan-15-11, 00:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 446/216/200 Male 73.5 inches
BF:12%
Progress: 93%

I keep them around and they are good but that can hurt you. Best way to deal with them is to work out a price system like

100 pushups = one bar

and then stick to that. If you really want one you can do the work for it.