Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-08, 20:28

Plan: Neanderthin
Stats: 197/154.8/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default Snack suggestions?

Wondering what you all are snacking on? I find myself reaching for nuts or sunflower seeds a lot of the time, because they're convenient, but that's a lot of calories. I guess I'm afraid fruit won't fill me up. Sometimes I'll eat a date roll, but that's kinda too sweet.

Suggestions?

53Free
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-08, 20:50

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 186/181.5/125 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

I tend to eat almonds, raw vegetables, a cup of blueberries, pistachios, leftover chicken. I know they're a lot of calories but for me, nuts and higher fat foods keep me on track.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-08, 22:40
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Yeah, dates are way too sugary if you're trying to lose weight. Other fruits have less. I would eat avocado or olives for snacks. Both high in fat and very filling.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-08, 04:55

Plan: high fat paleo
Stats: 238/215/165 Female 5foot 7inches
BF:yes
Progress: 32%

For me:
Brazil nuts, pecan nuts, macadamias, sometimes pistaccios but they're a bit too moreish really
Boiled eggs, tinned mackerel
Avocado, olives
Red or yellow peppers (eaten like apples)
Cured meat
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-08, 10:09
LCing for health!

Plan: GF whole foods
Stats: 160/140/140 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 100%

hard-boiled eggs, meat and lettuce roll ups with some dressing, rotisserie chicken

Nuts and jerky are easiest for a grab n' go snack. You can also make a trail mix or granola with nuts, seeds, coconut flakes, and cacao nibs tossed in butter or coconut oil and baked until crispy.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-08, 22:14
Registered Member

Plan: Paleolithic
Stats: 240/137/130 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress:

I snack on various nuts a lot, make my own trail mix with nuts, coconut flakes and 60% chocolate chips, hard boiled eggs dipped in Braggs ginger and sesame dressing (that dressing is the BEST, I use it for everything!and you don't have to refridgerate it) raw broccoli dipped in above dressing, fruit, all natural chicken sausages (Amy's-nitrate free, no sugar, just chicken and spices in lamb casing), I keep turkey burgers and salmon burgers in the freezer, and those turkey italian sausages too (I don't mean to stick with the lower fat meats, but they don't get loaded up with nitrites and whenever I eat any meats with nitrites my asthma flares) unfortunately the only jerky I found without nitrites was cured with soy sauce and the wheat in it I think made me react I also like smoothies made with coconut milk, avocados (I think I eat one every day now! LOL) and tuna/chicken/salmon salads scooped up with celery or lettuce. Almond butter on celery or fruit isn't bad either. I love sauteeing veggies with fresh garlic and ginger-yum! Not really a snack but it's good
Becky
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-08, 22:28

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I don't really "snack" all that often, at least not compared to how often I used to need food when I was on a high carb diet.

If I'm hungry between meals I'll have some nuts, a hard boiled egg, raw veggies, or, if I'm craving something crunchy and salty, some dried seaweed. Mostly I'll reach for raw veggies for snacks as I don't find I'm overly hungry between meals, and some celery or scallions are enough.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-08, 08:54
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'm the same way, Ruthla. Generally I don't really snack at all, except after supper. I get the munchies then.