Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-12-05, 13:34
Registered Member

Plan: Neanderthin w/cheese
Stats: 258/258/158 Male 71
BF:alot/alot less
Progress: 0%
Default Realistiacally surviving the holidays without totally blowing it...

I have a sweet tooth the size of Texas, so the Holiday's will be especially difficult for me.

I have cheated on three occasions in the past six weeks. twice i planned it and managed to avoid the binge cycle. once I gave into a temptation and spiraled out of control for 6 days.

How many of you would consider it ill-advised if I set a modest goal to be 220 pounds in the next 2 weeks and then rewarded myself with a free-for-all day on Christmas?

Thanks for the input
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-12-05, 13:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203.6/203.6/150 Female 5'-4"
BF:

I wouldn't do a free for all!!! Just me, but I am afraid if I opened that gate I would have a hard time closing it!!!
You might spiral out of control for another 6 days.

After reaching your mini goal, have your reward be a new shirt, a hair cut, some nice perfume.

Just suggestions... but I don't think a free for all will be a reward to yourself in the long run!!!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-12-05, 13:43
Registered Member

My wife my get confused by the perfume...
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-12-05, 13:45

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 185/173/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I did that for Thanksgiving last year while I was still losing. I went right back to LC the next day w/out any problems, but thats me, I was determined. So if you think you can jump right back on the wagon, go for it, but if not....well........
Good luck you, holidays are tough!!!!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-12-05, 13:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203.6/203.6/150 Female 5'-4"
BF:

OOOOOOOOOOOPPPS... my bad!!!
Maybe something else... what do men use for rewards???
Whatever it is... I think anything would be better than FOOD!!!
Good Luck in whatever you do!!!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-12-05, 13:48
Registered Member

Thanks Tanya.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Dec-12-05, 19:54

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:

Albany NY? My whole family is up there. Altamont and Rensselaer.

In the coconut thread, I posted a cookie recipe made with coconut and almond flour. Very satisfying without blowing the system.

Thats my plan. A few low carb mostly paleo interpretations of old favorites to keep the cravings or deprivation at bay.

Its working brilliantly so far. I haven't been tempted by a thing.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Dec-12-05, 21:30
Registered Member

Plan: antivegan,was subzerocarb
Stats: 200/187/175 Male 6' 0"
BF:27%/19%/12%
Progress: 52%

AC,

If you are going to have to entertain and have a bunch of high carb junk around, then you may have troubles... otherwise, wherever you go, you can try to eat as paleo as possible, and eat a few sweet things, and everything should be fine. I just got back from an annual extended family christmas dinner. I ate some things that were definitely not paleo or low carb. But, once I got home, I forgot about it and went on with what I have here to eat. If I had obsessed on it, LOOK OUT... cuz I would have just kept thinking of the junk I ate... and eventually would have gone and acquired MORE of it! What is your situation exactly?

I don't think it should ever be about how much you weigh at anytime. You should instead focus on eating the foods that you want to eat, always striving to eat better on a consistent basis. The main way to do that is to bring food home that is what you want to eat. If you surround yourself with good food, that is what you will eat. You can go to a holiday event and allow yourself to eat a few sweet treats. But, just be aware of the fact that you are in control and you are deciding to allow yourself a few treats, and other than that you are not deviating from your primary objective of eating the healthy foods that you normally eat on a regular basis. This way you maintain control of the situation. YOU are the one allowing yourself a few treats. Don't worry at all about the weight you will put on or whatever. Just focus on the fact that you are deviating a bit (in a controlled manner) and will easily flow back to eating "normally" (the way you want to eat).

You say "planned cheating"... well that means YOU decided to deviate from the way you want to eat on a regular basis... that is perfectly fine. But, think about it, you don't have to reward yourself for doing this... you should do this whenever you actually feel the need to deviate a little (use your best judgment here, of course)... but no reason to reward yourself and make it a big deal (cuz it isn't). If you blow it out of proportion and even begin to obsess on it, THAT is when you will get caught up in some "binge cycle". Believe me, been there, done that! And I don't think that if you really thought about it that a real reward would be to eat a bunch of junk that you would normally never want to eat (that sounds like punishment... not reward!). JMHO.

Last edited by PaleoDeano : Mon, Dec-12-05 at 21:51.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Dec-13-05, 05:00
Registered Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Albany NY? My whole family is up there. Altamont and Rensselaer.

In the coconut thread, I posted a cookie recipe made with coconut and almond flour. Very satisfying without blowing the system.

I live in Colonie, just outside of Albany. It's a nice place to live. Lot's of decent shopping, and a few hours from Boston and NYC.
I personally boycott foods that require me to substitue different foods in the recipe. It becomes too expensive on the family budget.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Dec-13-05, 10:57
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgeesCatch
How many of you would consider it ill-advised if I set a modest goal to be 220 pounds in the next 2 weeks and then rewarded myself with a free-for-all day on Christmas?
I think it's a bad idea to use the very thing that you are trying to break an addiction to as a reward. It's like a smoker rewarding themself for quitting by lighting up. There are lots of other ways to reward yourself without feeding the addiction.

Wyv
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Dec-13-05, 15:17
Registered Member

Deano & Wyv
Very fair answers. I am not sure I would equate cheesecake to a marb, but the point is taken. If I can get myself to a point where it doesn't hurt to run, I'll reward myself with a 5K and a new pair of Brooks.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Dec-13-05, 16:19
Registered Member

Plan: antivegan,was subzerocarb
Stats: 200/187/175 Male 6' 0"
BF:27%/19%/12%
Progress: 52%

IMHO, the best way to "reward" yourself is to not worry about having some slight deviations to your overall healthy WOE!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Dec-14-05, 06:36

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 185/173/150 Female 5'5"
BF:

Well said Dean!!!