Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#706   ^
Old Mon, Oct-09-17, 09:57
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

I also make alterations to my daily food intake. For example, I don't have set times for meals. Some days I fast until noon, some days I eat early. Some days I eat a lot of food, some days not so much.

To me, that's not the same thing as changing eating plans.
Sponsored Links
  #707   ^
Old Mon, Oct-09-17, 10:59

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
I also make alterations to my daily food intake. For example, I don't have set times for meals. Some days I fast until noon, some days I eat early. Some days I eat a lot of food, some days not so much.

To me, that's not the same thing as changing eating plans.

I agree. I tend to have a 5 hour afternoon window, but sometimes I eat a big breakfast and then skip lunch.
  #708   ^
Old Mon, Oct-09-17, 15:07

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Ditto. Since I do some business travel, I've gotten in the habit of having breakfast at the hotel, where I can order a LCHF ration, usually eggs with bacon, sausage or both. This protects me from the lunches that are usually served which are notoriously not LC. I started doing this when they served us a big serving dish of lasagna in the meeting room That taught me. This way, I can skip lunch and I'm on a breakfast dinner schedule for my usual two meals with ample time between. Being fat adapted enables flexibility without cravings.
  #709   ^
Old Wed, Oct-18-17, 10:58

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releas...71017110041.htm

If you're not into mouse studies, feel free to skip this one.

Quote:
Up to sixteen weeks of intermittent fasting without otherwise having to count calories helps fight obesity and other metabolic disorders. Such fasting already shows benefits after only six weeks. This is according to a study by Kyoung-Han Kim and Yun Hye Kim in the journal Cell Research which is published by Springer Nature. Intermittent fasting in mice helped to kick-start the animals' metabolism and to burn fat by generating body heat. The research team was led by Hoon-Ki Sung of The Hospital for Sick Children in Ontario, Canada.

I like seeing Canadians involved. It's not just about dieticians going after low carb physicians here, you know.

They wanted to minimize spontaneous decrease in calories for the animals, so they fasted them every third day instead of every second day, to give them more time to make up for the deficit. It would be interesting to see this up against the more standard every other day fasting that's usually done in IF studies for mice.

https://www.nature.com/cr/journal/v...cr2017126a.html
  #710   ^
Old Wed, Oct-18-17, 13:39

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Dr. Fung has a new article on Medium:

Fibre — the anti-nutrient

https://medium.com/~drjasonfung/fib...nt-612603de4cec

I've been using whole wheat white flour for almost all baking for my mother/brother as the alternative is my brother bringing home junk.

I see all these recipes for "healthy" muffins or whatever, with maybe a reduction in oil in favor of applesauce, but usually with refined white flour, so less fiber, less nutrition. No excuse for this, imo.
  #711   ^
Old Wed, Oct-18-17, 16:39

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The new podcast is now available, the musical interludes still with us.
http://obesitycodepodcast.com/blaming-the-victim/

Inspiring story of a diabetic who had had WLS, still obese. Both her mother and grandmother died at 41, finally used fasting and LCHF to not go down that road.

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Oct-19-17 at 07:55.
  #712   ^
Old Sat, Oct-21-17, 06:21

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Just subscribed to the podcast, looks like I'm getting onboard at the beginning.
  #713   ^
Old Fri, Oct-27-17, 05:50

BF:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releas...71026142314.htm

Putting this here, because mitochondrial rejuvenation has sort of come up, looking at Valter Longo's fasting/fasting mimicking diet studies in the past.
Quote:
Manipulating mitochondrial networks could promote healthy aging

Manipulating mitochondrial networks inside cells -- either by dietary restriction or by genetic manipulation that mimics it -- may increase lifespan and promote health, according to new research from Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.

The study, published online October 26, 2017 in Cell Metabolism, sheds light on the basic biology involved in cells' declining ability to process energy over time, which leads to aging and age-related disease, and how interventions such as periods of fasting might promote healthy aging.

Mitochondria -- the energy-producing structures in cells -- exist in networks that dynamically change shape according to energy demand. Their capacity to do so declines with age, but the impact this has on metabolism and cellular function was previously unclear. In this study, the researchers showed a causal link between dynamic changes in the shapes of mitochondrial networks and longevity.

The scientists used C. elegans (nematode worms), which live just two weeks and thus enable the study of aging in real time in the lab. Mitochondrial networks inside cells typically toggle between fused and fragmented states. The researchers found that restricting the worms' diet, or mimicking dietary restriction through genetic manipulation of an energy-sensing protein called AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK), maintained the mitochondrial networks in a fused or "youthful" state. In addition, they found that these youthful networks increase lifespan by communicating with organelles called peroxisomes to modulate fat metabolism.

"Low-energy conditions such as dietary restriction and intermittent fasting have previously been shown to promote healthy aging. Understanding why this is the case is a crucial step towards being able to harness the benefits therapeutically," said Heather Weir, lead author of the study, who conducted the research while at Harvard Chan School and is now a research associate at Astex Pharmaceuticals. "Our findings open up new avenues in the search for therapeutic strategies that will reduce our likelihood of developing age-related diseases as we get older."

"Although previous work has shown how intermittent fasting can slow aging, we are only beginning to understand the underlying biology," said William Mair, associate professor of genetics and complex diseases at Harvard Chan School and senior author of the study. "Our work shows how crucial the plasticity of mitochondria networks is for the benefits of fasting. If we lock mitochondria in one state, we completely block the effects of fasting or dietary restriction on longevity."

Next steps for the researchers including testing the role mitochondrial networks have in the effect of fasting in mammals, and whether defects in mitochondrial flexibility might explain the association between obesity and increased risk for age-related diseases.
  #714   ^
Old Fri, Oct-27-17, 05:56

BF:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5284490/

Bringing it back to diabetes;

Quote:
Mitochondrial dynamics in type 2 diabetes: Pathophysiological implications

Quote:
Changes in shape or size of mitochondria have been observed in diabetic patients and animal models. Mitochondria from type 2 diabetic patients are smaller than in healthy controls [40], and hyperglycemia induce mitochondrial fragmentation in different cell types, including heart, liver, cardiovascular or pancreas [62], [63]. Another example are hepatocytes from insulin resistant patients, in which mitochondria are swollen and disrupted
  #715   ^
Old Fri, Oct-27-17, 07:33
Doing My Best

I really appreciate your posting, Teaser. Usually my brain can't get around the deeply scientific stuff, but I have previous interests related to the mitochondria.

DH and I read this book The Biology of Belief years ago. I think I need to re-read it with eyes focused on fasting and health.
  #716   ^
Old Fri, Oct-27-17, 08:33

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
DH and I read this book The Biology of Belief years ago. I think I need to re-read it with eyes focused on fasting and health.

Glenda - definitely a "must read" book by Bruce Lipton. I highly recommend it as well, and find I often go back and refer to it. Lipton recently updated the book with a 10th Anniversary Edition that confirms and elaborates on many of his theories and hypotheses from the first edition:

https://www.amazon.com/Biology-Beli...M4YVAB1YQW4A5E3

It's written for any type of reader, not just science geeks. Very appropriate as we try to better understand genetics, epigenetics, and how our metabolism works in concert at the cellular and organelle levels.
  #717   ^
Old Fri, Oct-27-17, 09:20

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Related, Miriam Kalamian's book recommendation:

" While I urge everyone to learn more about mitochondria, perhaps instead of approaching your study through the eyes of researchers, pick up a copy of science writer's Nick Lane's book Power, Sex and Suicide: Mitrochondria and the Meaning of Life. What a fascinating read!"

So I now have a copy from the library, and know by "fascinating" she did not mean an easy or a short book. About same number of pages as the Lipton book. I haven't been able to find the time for it at all...so many other new book requests came in at once. I am easily sidetracked by Sisson and Emmerich's new books bright color photos , but promise to give mitochondria a try...someday.

And nothing to do with Low Carb. At. All. I recommend my other distraction Code Girls: The Untold Story of the American Women Code Breakers Who Helped Win World War II
  #718   ^
Old Fri, Oct-27-17, 09:33

Plan: Modified South Beach
Stats: 207.5/158.7/157.5 Female 5.5 &3/4
BF:

Hi Janet,
I have just requested the book about the women code breakers from my library. Should have it in a week or two.

I want to take this opportunity to thank you for all the great information you make available to all of us. I truly appreciate it.
When I see something with your name attached I know I am about to be enlightened about something or the other..
I hope you have a fantastic weekend.
Maeve
  #719   ^
Old Fri, Oct-27-17, 09:59

BF:

Peter at Hyperlipid has a series on the proton pump, that might connect some of what Nick Lane says into low carb.

Probably important to remember that none of this is going to be on the final exam. I'm really glad I don't need to fully understand mitochondria to benefit from a ketogenic diet or fasting. Coles notes, if it lowers your insulin and your blood glucose, it's probably good for your mitochondria. Dr. Fung's observation that if you're renovating a house, you don't just add new material, you tear down what needs to be torn down, and then rebuild also applies to mitochondria.
  #720   ^
Old Fri, Oct-27-17, 11:13
Doing My Best

Rob, thanks for the update. I blush to think that I missed that Lipton book.

Thanks to all others for book recommendations, LC or not.